• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help installing Holz suspension in 08 stock rails

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Find out if it is for sure... The Alpha X runs a FOX Float EVOL-X shock on the rear.... the previous models ran a standard Float shock (no evol) or a Fox Zero-Pro (coil spring).... or post up a photo... It makes a difference which one it is with the instructions.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
This is the Alpha X

phpThumb.php

T
Jan 7, 2013
canada
I installed an alpha-x in a 2012 dragon two weeks ago. Easy install. Hang your tunnel from the ceiling of your shop and take out your stock skid (4 bolts). swap out the hyfax and hardware as indicated in the instructions.

The only problem i had was that the cross shafts on the stock skid that i had to use were not round from the factory. There was a big difference in the size of the stock shafts from one to another. They would not fit into the Holz bushings. I had to spin the shaft in a metal lathe to get it to go into the Holz suspension.

That was the only hiccup. If your Cross shafts fit, its a two or three hour job. by the time you get the new skid on the sled straight and tensioned properly. Go for it! No more clapped-out D-8 suspension for you! and 8 pounds weight savings. Good luck

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Tuckitaway... your shafts sound like they were worn from use.

198... that is the previous model, NOT the ALPHA-X... The last versions of the PRE-Alpha's had the add-on EVOL Chamber.

Still a great skid for a non-turbo sled.. and much better/lighter than the stock skid.

You will need some parts from the stock skid to install the Holz (shafts etc)

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you the install instructions in PDF form.

Last edited:
T
Jan 7, 2013
canada
Mountainhorse - That's possible for sure there's 600 miles on the machine. They could have also been egged from over torquing the skid bolts. Either way the Holz bushings i got were super tight. I forget what they were when we measured them with the micrometer, but the shafts would have taken some serious "motivation" to go in without taking a few thou off with the lathe. Can't wait to try it out. It's been dumping for three days now so next weekend shes hittin the snow for sure.

Premium Features