• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need a few suggestions here fella's

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
well tomorrow if i have time i will wack at her..lol..you know i also had another thought,Locktite make a spray product that brings surface temps down to as low as -40 and i have a can...

I bet it would help sprayin inside the hollow shaft to shrink it abit as well...and would help slide the shaft back into the bearings..

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
well tomorrow if i have time i will wack at her..lol..you know i also had another thought,Locktite make a spray product that brings surface temps down to as low as -40 and i have a can...

I bet it would help sprayin inside the hollow shaft to shrink it abit as well...and would help slide the shaft back into the bearings..

Works great with broken bolts and studs!!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Well got her out,but i had to freeze the shaft from inside the hollow and as well the backside entering the caliper housing and she came easy.

Getting the bearings out of the caliper housing was fun,came out tight all the way,need a press to make it easy i rekon.I will heat the housing up and freeze the bearings to get them to bang in easier or rig up my hydraulic wood splitter to install the new ones...ha..ha..

Took the D/D completely apart,its just like brand new..awesome,not one sign of brass or bad bearing,must be that good castrol synthetic oil..

This whole project is just getting bigger,all i really wanted to do at first was put on the peak reverse to eliminate the reverse motor and wiring and to eliminate the tail light wiring and to lift the fuel tank and pull the wires from out under it so i have no issues..

But im glad it expanded to where it did because the brake side axle bearings could have failed this year as they did feel a tad rough before i started hammering on them.

Anyway thanx for all the great input fell'a...much much appreciatted..

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID

So you got it with the locktite freeze spray? I might have to pick some up cause I got the DD out, track removed and can't get the drive shaft to budge on the brake side.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
So you got it with the locktite freeze spray? I might have to pick some up cause I got the DD out, track removed and can't get the drive shaft to budge on the brake side.

Had the sled on pto side and sprayed pb blaster in brake rotor splines to hope it worked down and sprayed as well from inside tunnel and tried removing and no luck but i rekon the trying helps the pb blaster get in..

Next day tried again with a piece of wood from mag side tunnel by caliper to floor to reduce bounce as was suggested in this thread and as well sprayed the drive shaft with the Loctite freeze inside the hollow of the shaft in the bearing area...no luck

Then i resprayed again in the same place and AS WELL from the tunnel side all around the shaft close to the caliper and out she came..

I didn;t have much luck with a wood drift...i did use a brass drift,my shaft threads are a very small amount disfigured just on the starting thread which a thread file will clean up..

To put the shaft back in im going to grit clothe the shaft..coat it with never sieze.coat the bearing inner race with never sieze..freeze the shaft and hair dryer on the bearing race and get her back together..as soon as i get all my parts from Free Agent once i give her a shout..lol.

Premium Features