• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My Munster Finger Throttle Thoughts

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
This year I decided to try the finger throttle because the design and possible benefits made a lot of sense to me. The thumb throttle worked just fine but I never felt like my right hand had amazing grip without my thumb wrapped around the bar. Install was fairly simple though the pins are a bit of a pain. Fit and finish was top notch as I would expect from Munster.
I expected the first few rides to be bit of an adjustment period. The forearm pump was rough for me. The enhanced grip was outstanding and everything I had hoped. Long downhill powder turns felt so good with it. I installed it with the guard which I strongly feel should be mandatory.

I rode lots of trees and never had an issue with anything hitting the throttle. A few times on some big hill climbs, I was bucked a bit and grabbed the throttle for a split second on accident. Not a great feeling but I always have a finger on the brake so no issues.

After about 800 miles, I decided to go back to the thumb throttle. Why? I had a small injury in my right forearm (from helping to unstuck a Polaris) that the finger throttle continued to aggravate throughout the year and I could not get it to go away. I highly recommend this product to anyone thinking about it. If you want to try a used one, you can have mine for $190 shipped (guard and throttle) in the lower 48.

Hope this helps for anyone on the fence.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Any issues with throttle cable freeze after a roller over or such.. had a few guys that said it was a pain and went back to thumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I also switched this year, and plan on taking it with me to the turbo next season. It does take a couple rides to get comfortable with it, but after you are you wonder what took so long to switch. The only dislike I have is on long trail ride to play areas it seems to fatigue my finger, and if you put two fingers on it and hit a unsuspecting bump you have the tendency to pinch it. The control you have when playing far exceeded the trail ride problem. Mine had no freezing issues, but I also put some Teflon cable conditioner on a couple times.

Last edited:

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
I tried one this season and I like it. Took a couple days to get comfortable with it. My heating element works good.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
Any issues with throttle cable freeze after a roller over or such.. had a few guys that said it was a pain and went back to thumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a friend that's new to sledding but has a strong motorsports/racing background. He went straight to a finger throttle on his 4th ride and he likes it but he did have his sled react like it had an open throttle after rolling it over. He had set the finger throttle up with zero freeplay and I suspect it was right on the edge of tripping the open-throttle detection. I adjusted it in the field to add in just a hint of freeplay and he didn't have any problems the rest of the day.

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
Love my finger throttle as well. Took a bit to get used to. Didn't notice any forearm pain. Biggest thing I had was setting the lever too close. Had to convince myself to move it over farther.

As for freezing or anything like that I have had zero issues. It's been flawless.

Sent from my BV9800Pro using Tapatalk

peakperf

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Cranbrook, BC
I've got 500 km on mine and find much better control in the tight terrain. For heat issues, I used a dremel and remove some material from the front of the trigger as it is quite thick and I got much better heat transfer to my finger. I also noticed significant discomfort on the trails and so loosened the two allen screws slightly to allow rotation of the entire assembly on the handlebar. I have the munster guard on it and use that to spin the throttle around until I can reach it with my thumb for the bumpy trail sections. Works like a charm.

Premium Features