• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My kid took out his first tree today!

M

MPS

I took my son out today for the second time this year. This is his first real year sledding with me and he is doing pretty damn good. He throws his weight around well. He watches me and learns.

We were coming down a bit of a hill. We had already gone up it and made the single track. All the sudden he is there on my right side plowing through willows and then on my left. I am sh*tting myself and tried to hook a ski on his to stop him....but it was too late and he mowed over a young pine tree. At least the tree gave and stopped him. After my heart attack, I jumped off my sled and went up to him. He was crying and scared. He was ok and bounced back.

I was cautious of steep stuff with trees all day because he only has a trail track. He can get up some steep stuff but obviously coming down is hairy. I thought he would be ok coming down this one and I went slow so he could run into me and I could stop him, but he chose the trees instead of me. LOL

It's time for that new track for him! I don't want to sh*t myself again! :beer;

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
Sounds familier from a couple years ago for me--did not take long and I had to tell him only so tall if he was going to take them on--after 3 years of riding everywhere we go--he is finally hitting fewer trees!!

BUT his name on the 4M will give ya reason to continue fretting----

TreeTard-----Given to him by his fellow riders:D

H20SKE...

M

MPS

YUP! ;) lol. good on ya, MPS. My father taught me to hit trees too. seems I done learned good too!

haha....yup Dad is a tree magnet! I think I have been called that a time or two! :beer;

H2OSKE that is some funny chit! TreeTard! Too funny! Ya I don't think I will tell his mom, unless somehow he tells her....I think he knows to keep this stuff hush hush! haha

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Ok, riding with your kid memories :D

My oldest had just got back from the Marine Corps and we went to camp for a 4 day ride. The first night there we got hit with about a foot and a half of fresh powder on top of what we already had. He was riding the Sabercat with a flatlander track on it. We got up before first light and headed back to an area that isn't ridden much. Two sleds came at us the other way so I pulled off a little bit to let them by. I realized once I pulled off that I was sitting right on the edge of a very deep culvert. My son stopped behind me. When I pulled out I turned around just in enough time to watch him disappear straight down into the culvert POOF. Took us about 1 hour to work the sled and him up out of there. You can't really see the culvert just the edge but this was after we worked the sled up out. Kids, they just don't pay attention :D

ry%3D400

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Hate to say it Dad, but that is only the first of the new gray hairs!!! They will continue lol. And they will get worse each time you upgarde his sled for him. MIne was about 10 on an indy lite with 133.5x1.5 under it. With him at about 80lbs soaking wet in his gear he could go most anywhere we could. He had climbed himself up a hill that most could not make. He had plenty of speed to make it over but chose to turn out where most of the adults where doing so. He didn't make a tight enough u-turn and wound coming straight down into heavy old growth spruce trees:eek: He bailed just before he center punched one that was about 3 ft in diameter. Grenaded the frontend of that sled. He was bawling. I got him calmed down and let him know it was ok. Just glad he didn't get hurt. Alot of duct tape, bailing wire and rachet straps later I got his sled to where I could ride it out of there. He could not because it was a bear to ride all mangled. He rode my big bore 800 ultra out of there and me on the pile behind. Should have seen all the looks we got that day! Now he looks over his shoulder BEFFORE turning out! :D

I hit two trees in one weekend. First on a night ride jumped off a water bar right into a aspen. Second one i was side hilling and cream some baby pine and then werent so good on me that one was a little rough. Lucky the sled barley missed me and stopped on the road:D

Chapman

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Milford Ia
Thats awesome that your teaching your kid to ride.

I think I learned more from my fathers mistakes than I actually learned from him while sledding:D

M

MPS

Nice culvert story DVarmit! LOL Glad your son is ok and thank him for me for serving his country!

The ultrarider that is one heck of a story too! Glad your kid was alright too! That stuff freaks me out....like my boy staying on the sled.

Quality tree management! haha nice Nelson! Ya some days I need a firewood permit. My son did today.

I will have to remember that Chapman! haha I will make more mistakes so he will learn, haha.

M

MPS

Thanks, I love to see him having fun....that smile on his face is priceless and him telling me, "thanks for taking me dad," is priceless. He asked me a couple hours ago when we could go again, I said I wasn't sure pal...he said he can't wait, sledding is so fun.

Give him the husky! hell no! LMAO!

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
mps,
It is good times and good memories for sure. The longer and tighter you bond now, the easier the teen years are. My boy always rides when I ride. He is 18 now, and yes, can highmark Dad now since he goes 130 and is pure beef, and Dad is 240 and....well could use some more exersise lol. He does hate it though when dad does all the tuning, and His doesn't run as well as mine on a given day;)

Funny how it's always the second ride....mine was the same, my dad watching the whole thing! First ride you are so scared to do anything, then the second one you start getting a little too ballsy for your skills, then that's when you wrap the old ZX sled around the biggest tree in the bunch, then it takes a while to get yourself back to trying new stuff. Honestly, probably one of the steepest learning curves out there, but well worth it, 5th year and having a blast!

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
This is great---They learn by climbing trees,,we all have done it and some of us still do it:eek:;).

Treetard got so good that after he started getting good--he just started climbing them--I wish I had a video as I only saw the end of this--But Treetard rode right up 3 trees and off the top of them as they sprung him in the air--I saw him coming off the tops and landing it--hilarious--he got about 8 to 10' of air off the tops:DLOL. It was great.

We had the heart to heart speech at that time about the size of the trees that he climbs:rolleyes:. He is right with the rest of us now--the occasional tree trimming other.

Good Times for SURE!!

H20SKE...

J

Jmx571

I never had my dad around for mine. At age 8 I hit a tree 10 feet in front of my cabin two years later on the same sled i ran into the back of a parked truck. three years after that I parked my sled on its side against a tree climbing and two weeks after that jumped a snow bank into a pile of rocks. Then 10 years later I blew my motor in the back country riding by my self where was my dad on that one.:D

This is great---They learn by climbing trees,,we all have done it and some of us still do it:eek:;).

Treetard got so good that after he started getting good--he just started climbing them--I wish I had a video as I only saw the end of this--But Treetard rode right up 3 trees and off the top of them as they sprung him in the air--I saw him coming off the tops and landing it--hilarious--he got about 8 to 10' of air off the tops:DLOL. It was great.

We had the heart to heart speech at that time about the size of the trees that he climbs:rolleyes:. He is right with the rest of us now--the occasional tree trimming other.

Good Times for SURE!!

H20SKE...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha_ZKFGG0jg

Premium Features