• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My essay, Help me!

Minten

Lifetime Membership
Nov 6, 2010
Bozeman, Montana
I want to get this POS over with. Someone want to help me with any corrections if you catch any? Any tips? I know Rock is a teacher. Help me out.

Jacob Minten
1/2/12
Honors Language Arts
Period 2

Siblings often have a love – hate relationship that vacillates between great friends and worst enemies. It is caused by desires such as dominance and expectations. What shines out the most is the negative connation even though siblings are capable of strong love. A good example is in “The Scarlet Ibis” where a young boy pushes his adolescent sibling in an attempt to reform him into a perfect brother. Doodle is extremely happy with his success in walking, but Brother ups the ante and sets new, impractical goals. Without accomplishment Brother starts to change his attitude. Brother begins with the best of intention to develop Doodle’s skills but becomes obsessed with creating the sibling he always wanted and becomes aggravated. In the beginning Brother is very good natured towards Doodle in both his actions and his words. Down the road Brother is unjustly detrimental to Doodle’s health when he cannot meet Brothers unrelenting goals before him.

At first, Brother cares about Doodle and wanted him to have the best life possible so he helps him learn to walk. For example, when Brother want s Doodle to walk, Doodle says he cannot but Brother insists, “Aw come on Doodle… you can do it,” says page 195. This is a good case because it showed Brothers determination to improve Doodles negative attitude. This also shows the side of Brother we cannot see; his affection and tender heart. Equally important though difficult, Brother does not bail out of their original plans, ‘’’It seemed so hopeless from the beginning that it’s a miracle I didn’t give up,’’’ page 192. Brother’s capacity to love his weaker brother is shown through his perseverance together to both reach their goals despite great difficulty. It also expresses the idea that Brother really wasn’t being selfish, but rather wanted to help. To sum it up, Brother really does love Doodle; he worked hard, but never gave up in tough times.

On the other hand, Brother’s patience is greatly being tested. ‘’ We decided to double our efforts to make that last drive and reach our pot of gold. I made him swim until he turned blue and row until he couldn’t lift an oar. Wherever we went, I purposely walked fast and although he kept up, his face turned red and his eyes became glazed. Once he could go no further, so he collapsed on the ground and began to cry,” (195). This showed how cruel and ungrateful Brother was once the goals were not completed. Was his actions necessary though? Definitely not; they were harsh and cruel and didn’t make sense. There was no reason for them. He just became very abuse of his power. Another instance of where Brother was being tested was Doodle was running back to the house from Old Woman Swamp, “Brother, Brother, don’t leave me! Don’t leave me! The acknowledge that Doodle’s and my plans had come to naught was bitter, and that streak of cruelty within me awakened. I ran as fast as I could, leaving him far behind with a wall of rain dividing us.” From this you can see that Brother is not capable of waiting for him. He wants results and though it is very hard to accomplish he wants them now. You can also deduce that he was caring not about Doodle, but about himself. He didn’t think about what would happen to Doodle, he just left him and saved himself.

In conclusion, when Brother didn’t get what he wanted, he resorted to a selfish lifestyle. Most siblings often have very fluctuating relationships. When they are best friends, then again when they are in conflict, they must be rebuilt. People must know there are consequences to being rotten to each other and to appreciate one’s siblings.

Last edited:
M

maddog21

Mar 19, 2008
Charter Oak, Iowa
ask your parents to help you with it.
if you want our help, there will be a fee.
by the way, I didnt read it whole.. no time to read it.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
First paragraph, INTRO set up the rest, topic, quick overview, get me excited to read further. Don't go right into your topic/points. You set it up but go into to much detail.

Always build a bridge at the end of a paragraph that crosses/carries over into the next.

Less big words, more substance. Make it flow but not at the cost of the body.

Scrap that ending as well.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
you remind me of Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School where he had NASA write his science paper and Kurt Vonegut write his paper on Kurt Vonegut......great scene by the way.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
If your essay gives you trouble have him deported:face-icon-small-win

sp_1106_02_v9.jpg

Premium Features