• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Moving on, thanks for the help, jumped ship.

C

Carlos Randolph

Dec 2, 2007
Northfield Mn
Hope some one from BRP reads this...............

I have moved on boys n girls, after 35yrs of riding, the last 22yrs on 7 differnt Skidoo's. Bought an 11 Switchback Assault last weekend. Feel as though a weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and that weight would be my Snow checked 2008 SummitX 800R. Now have 300+ miles on the new ride, and guess what? All I have to do is pull the rope n go! Thank F'in god. Only thing I plan to change is going to a 2"ish track.

The 08 summit made'r oh...bout 6mi be fore she had to go back to the dealer to get the carbs cleaned, due to plastic being sucked up outa the tank. Then Back to the dealer at bout 40mi to get a new drive shaft, as that thing came apart like a pop can hit by the lawn mower. As luck would have it, I was only 6hrs away from home on a trip. Month later on the first trip out west, she blew the first of many belts at 120mi, next one pulled cords at 200mi (thats 200mi total on the sled). The next belt (these were all pre 377 blets) lasted til the 350mi mark on the odomeiter. Back to the dealer again on the same trip, as the f'ing y pipe bolts fell out on the Mtn. Then back to the dealer again at home to get the hand warmers fixed. Then back to the dealer again to get the "new" drive shaft replaced on recall.

Spent the next year tinkering with the clutches/alignment/venting, thanks to the info from this sight, got her to not pull cords till 3-500 mi, per $170 377 belt.....sweet.

Next year she ran ok....only 3-4 belts n no trips to the dealer (out of warranty any how), but did have to buy a new track, as I tore off half of the center belts lugs. Also had to replace the now dead hand wamers.

Year 4 now (2010-11), made it .9 miles from my shop on the first ride of the year, and the bleeping PTO side exhaust valve took a dump (broke) and scuffed the bleep outa the piston. Upon further inspection, also had cracks in the transfer ports, n nicasil.....once again sweet. $900ish in parts+my labor later, she rips again...800 fingers crossed miles, and 2 belts later, I had to let her go just short of 3000miles......before the Crank dicides to take a crap, as thats my luck.

Don't even want to think about what that sled cost me $$$$$ wise total, but BRP kicked my *** all the way to the bank on that thing.............AAHHHHHHHH I feel so much better now, as I am no longer the butt of BRP's joke on me.

P.S. Ya know it's bad when you know the BRP part numbers for Belts better than the stupid parts counter guy.......and I am a fool for banging my head against the wall as long as I did, but I am a stubborn sob.

Last edited:
J

jester18

Jan 26, 2010
Cheyenne WY
Substitute the brand name and it could happen to anyone.

X2 Just read the same story last week (insert Poo instead of Doo)

Still sorry you had to go through this. You would think Doo would have the friggin' belt thing figured out after all the stories you here about them.

Suppose they get a better price the more they buy!!!:face-icon-small-ton

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
i hate to spend money,,,, but i love my 2010Xp-X 760 miles and oil and gas. this sled just makes you a better rider! Nice work skidoo. nice work roosterbuilt:peace:

C

Carlos Randolph

Dec 2, 2007
Northfield Mn
Sure.....I guess

I know this is just my sled, no one on an 08 summit had any above listed problems.........lol

Knowing the info and insight on the product, I felt blessed to get $6250 mercy money out of the sled, and the kid knew up front what the sled had been through.

Do other brands have their own problem child sleds......of coarse, but my brand blinders have been taken off......finally. I just couldn't justify giving BRP another penny of my money.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
It really doesnt matter the brand, there are bad sleds out there from every manufacturer, and it sucks for sure, I know ski just became a doo guy because of his problem child polaris, and i dont blame him, I have had great luck with my polaris of course, and while your doo was giving you fits, my roommates 06 rev went 9000 mostly trouble free miles, and his 10 xp he bought last year has 3000 trouble free miles on it....sometimes you just have to step back and take a break for itto all even out...good luck ski with the new doo(they are a sweet machine) and luck to you carlos, on your new poo...

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
It really doesnt matter the brand, there are bad sleds out there from every manufacturer, and it sucks for sure, I know ski just became a doo guy because of his problem child polaris, and i dont blame him, I have had great luck with my polaris of course, and while your doo was giving you fits, my roommates 06 rev went 9000 mostly trouble free miles, and his 10 xp he bought last year has 3000 trouble free miles on it....sometimes you just have to step back and take a break for itto all even out...good luck ski with the new doo(they are a sweet machine) and luck to you carlos, on your new poo...

LOL, a Doo guy. I don't know if my Polaris blood is all gone, but who knows. I have a decision to make again. I totalled the Doo on our Cali trip. I don't have a buyback # or a settlement yet. I'd like to have both in the trailer, a pro and an Etec and see which one survives me.

M

Mattxp

Jan 16, 2011
that sucks man, thats the way my year has kind of gone with my sled. ride a little and put the cash to her.

I have an 09. One thing i have had good luck with is belts. 600 miles or so per belt.

Secondary rollers buggered up early season, so i ordered high tourqe but had no clutch tools. (doing this now if i get another xp right off the hop) Had secondary+jacksharft at dealer for two weeks, still wasnt done. Ordered clutch tools. They came in 3 days. Fixed that, went for a rip with some buds. Did some small drops and bent my smodule a bit. fack, didnt even get back to the trailer and hammered a stump bending my left a arm. Ordered parts, week later i found myself tearing that bitch apart. Found that my front member was also broke so i ordered of of them. Got it all pieced together 6 hours of labour, and 800 bucks later. Next ride i broke a rear idler off somehow, wasnt jumping so who knows. No big deal after spening 800 bucks whats another 45. So i went for a rip last weekend, and about 30 feet from me driving on the trailer my throttle cable breaks at the flipper. Convientient at least. backed the trailer up and pulled it on. So i just got done that job today, needless to say it kind of sucked. Another 5 hours labour.

All in all, we have had ****ty snow since start of february with it melting and freezing. I have barely roed at all this year, 5-6 good rides. I cant blame anyone or the machine for my trouble. Engine has run flawless. Always started good, not terribly hard on belts. Im buying a new machine this spring, but not to sure what to get. Debating a summit x 146, or a switchback assault like you bought. I get to try a new polaris on the 20th here, so i'll let that be the decision maker.

Good day

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
LOL, a Doo guy. I don't know if my Polaris blood is all gone, but who knows. I have a decision to make again. I totalled the Doo on our Cali trip. I don't have a buyback # or a settlement yet. I'd like to have both in the trailer, a pro and an Etec and see which one survives me.
oh man that sucks ski...you didnt get hurt did ya?..holy cow..well..you could do a cat..then you can say you had them all in 1 season..wow..yep..go find a rental place and rent each on for a 1/2 day..see what feels best to you..heck time it right and you may get to try a cat demo as well......

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
that sucks man, thats the way my year has kind of gone with my sled. ride a little and put the cash to her.

I have an 09. One thing i have had good luck with is belts. 600 miles or so per belt.

Secondary rollers buggered up early season, so i ordered high tourqe but had no clutch tools. (doing this now if i get another xp right off the hop) Had secondary+jacksharft at dealer for two weeks, still wasnt done. Ordered clutch tools. They came in 3 days. Fixed that, went for a rip with some buds. Did some small drops and bent my smodule a bit. fack, didnt even get back to the trailer and hammered a stump bending my left a arm. Ordered parts, week later i found myself tearing that bitch apart. Found that my front member was also broke so i ordered of of them. Got it all pieced together 6 hours of labour, and 800 bucks later. Next ride i broke a rear idler off somehow, wasnt jumping so who knows. No big deal after spening 800 bucks whats another 45. So i went for a rip last weekend, and about 30 feet from me driving on the trailer my throttle cable breaks at the flipper. Convientient at least. backed the trailer up and pulled it on. So i just got done that job today, needless to say it kind of sucked. Another 5 hours labour.

All in all, we have had ****ty snow since start of february with it melting and freezing. I have barely roed at all this year, 5-6 good rides. I cant blame anyone or the machine for my trouble. Engine has run flawless. Always started good, not terribly hard on belts. Im buying a new machine this spring, but not to sure what to get. Debating a summit x 146, or a switchback assault like you bought. I get to try a new polaris on the 20th here, so i'll let that be the decision maker.

Good day
give us a ride report when ya do matt..interesting to read what others think....

C

Carlos Randolph

Dec 2, 2007
Northfield Mn
I give u a ride report on the SB Assault.

I have to say I was impressd, The shocks are cool, way easy to adjust, no tools required....a bare hand will do. Not sprung quite as heavy in the rear as my summit, and took some getting used to. Now don't even notice. The ergo's are similar, and the ultra wide foot rails are nice. The Pro taper bars are nice as well, but just a tad low for me (6ft tall). I made a 1" riser block and all is well there now.

As far as handling goes, rides pretty much the same as the xp on the trail as a whole, but would say it is a bit tippyer (sp?). No big differance there, felt like home in about 5 min. The XP's 16"x146 track I am sure offerd more "float/stability" compared to the 15x144 on the SB, but can tell you flat out, you can/will lay the SB over side to side easier than the 08 summit in the deep. Cant speak as to how it compares to the 11 Xp's with the narrowed Ski stance, but I know it for sure responds quicker, side to side, with less effort, in less snow than my 08 xp. Just a tad better in that area compared to the XP.

HP.......Well???? Idk, the old XP made some pretty good steam, but this SB 800 ain't no slouch, much of that may be due to the spot on rockstar Flat land clutch setup they got. Is it as much as the 800 etec? I would deffinitely say it is as good compared to the 08 motor, but the clutching being right makes it feel better.......???? If the etec makes 10 more hp than the 08 version, she would be a pretty close race. At this point I don't care as long as it stays together........lol

M

Mattxp

Jan 16, 2011
I have to say I was impressd, The shocks are cool, way easy to adjust, no tools required....a bare hand will do. Not sprung quite as heavy in the rear as my summit, and took some getting used to. Now don't even notice. The ergo's are similar, and the ultra wide foot rails are nice. The Pro taper bars are nice as well, but just a tad low for me (6ft tall). I made a 1" riser block and all is well there now.

As far as handling goes, rides pretty much the same as the xp on the trail as a whole, but would say it is a bit tippyer (sp?). No big differance there, felt like home in about 5 min. The XP's 16"x146 track I am sure offerd more "float/stability" compared to the 15x144 on the SB, but can tell you flat out, you can/will lay the SB over side to side easier than the 08 summit in the deep. Cant speak as to how it compares to the 11 Xp's with the narrowed Ski stance, but I know it for sure responds quicker, side to side, with less effort, in less snow than my 08 xp. Just a tad better in that area compared to the XP.

HP.......Well???? Idk, the old XP made some pretty good steam, but this SB 800 ain't no slouch, much of that may be due to the spot on rockstar Flat land clutch setup they got. Is it as much as the 800 etec? I would deffinitely say it is as good compared to the 08 motor, but the clutching being right makes it feel better.......???? If the etec makes 10 more hp than the 08 version, she would be a pretty close race. At this point I don't care as long as it stays together........lol

Everyone coming off xp's doesnt have abad thing to say about the new polaris's ive found. Its nice to hear from people coming off them. I think my xp handles like a dream, it just does what i want it too. But there is always room for improvement. I sure hope i can get at least 20min seat time on one. Then i'll know.

Premium Features