• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mototrax for my 06' KTM 300 xc-w or New bike +Timbersled

C
Nov 24, 2014
I've been looking around for a track kit for my 06' KTM 300 xc-w. I want to be able to ride both on and off trails here in CO at 10-13Kft.

From what I can see, only Mototrax has a fix kit for an 06', but they don't offer a strut shock option like Timber Sled's TSS system.

I was kind of set on getting convex track and suspension strut.

Should I be looking for a new bike that will fit a Timbersled or Yeti track? Or is suspension strut not that important?

If I do get a new (lightly used) bike, what should I get. KTM 500 xc-w or get an older cr500 to build up?

FWIW, my 300 is pretty set up: high output stator, heated grips, 36mm smart carb, trail tech voyager. Also has a shaved head and decked cylinder.

My head is spinning....

C
Nov 24, 2014
I'll keep the 300 if I get a new bike. It's got studded tires on it, so it'll be useful over winter, even with another snowbike.

Money is not the issue. I just don't want to spend it if it's not needed. $8K for a 'new' bike, plus $6-7K for a track kit is pretty spendy vs $5K for a mototrax kit. Of course I would put a 500 xc-w to good use in the summer also...

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I rode a 2012 300 XC last year and thought it worked pretty well. A closer ratio trans would be nice though.

I would not want to use the 5 speed wide ratio. I think you are going to end up in between gears a lot.

Personally I think 5 speed close ratio SX box or tranny in the 09 and older 250/300 XC would be ideal.

I have a 2011 300 XC I am going to use but I wish it had the 5 speed close ratio gear box. I may gear down a bunch to try to close the gaps.

If you want to use your 06, I would call Timbersled and see if they know what spacers you need. You could get them made as well.

IMO the 450 race bikes are the best in the snow and the worst on technical dirt trails.

Maybe keep your old 300, pick up a used MX bike and used Timbersled kit?

I ran a CRF450R EFI bike last year and it worked well other then it did not start when it was cold.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
CMX just fit two kits on 300's. Their suspension doesn't need a third shock. Check them out.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I say run it and see what you like and don't with that bike then make your choice... I am an avid 2 stroke guy but ended up going to a 4 banger MX this year because it is a great tool in the snow.. I road a ton of bikes to make the choice throughout the season. ..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I rode a 2012 300 XC last year and thought it worked pretty well. A closer ratio trans would be nice though.

I would not want to use the 5 speed wide ratio. I think you are going to end up in between gears a lot.

Personally I think 5 speed close ratio SX box or tranny in the 09 and older 250/300 XC would be ideal.

I have a 2011 300 XC I am going to use but I wish it had the 5 speed close ratio gear box. I may gear down a bunch to try to close the gaps.

If you want to use your 06, I would call Timbersled and see if they know what spacers you need. You could get them made as well.

IMO the 450 race bikes are the best in the snow and the worst on technical dirt trails.

Maybe keep your old 300, pick up a used MX bike and used Timbersled kit?

I ran a CRF450R EFI bike last year and it worked well other then it did not start when it was cold.

There is a comlete ktm 250 sx engine on KTM TALK. Price seemed fair. 12 Hours I believe. Close Ratio 5 speed plus light crank with stuffers.

T
Oct 6, 2016
MotoTrax final answer!

MotoTrax for the only reason is the... The Moto-link articulation.
It's the feature no one is even attempting to match. Also it address the biggest flaw with a snow biking, the sketchy feel at low speed with anything less than a foot of snow.

Suggest the Mountain with a 129" track... Keep the bike, for now

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
As Glenn said make sure you stay away from the wide ratio transmissions. The close ratio is preferable to the steep and deep riding many of us have in the West, but the wide ratios do have their place. Some guys take a wide ratio trans and can make it work well if they fiddle with the gearing in the kit. I'm always hunting for the right gear on the wide ratios... 2nd too short, 3rd too tall for the tight stuff.

Convex track on the TS is the best track on the market at the moment (this year we get to check out the new MaxTrak2 to see how it stacks up) and the TSS is a great addition for suspension travel. If you ride a LOT of deep deep snow the solid strut is actually better for traction and flotation since most people don't set the TSS up correctly for deep snow conditions. I will probably be swapping between the TSS and Solid depending on the day.

Keep that 300 for the dirt.... great bikes!

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
I guess the transmission ratio also depends on the terrain you have.

Here in the east we have a lot less snow and steep stuff, and a lot more flat land to cover to get to the riding spots.

Last years on my CR250 first gear was as long as I felt confortable having for the dirty / branchy woods, and 5th was way too short on the trail (maxxed out @73km/h on the GPS). Even for the deep/open stuff I was in 4th almost all the time.

This year on a 300XC. Pretty sure the trans will be perfect, it's slightly wider, but quite shorter than a XC-W.

This season will tell !

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
I say run it and see what you like and don't with that bike then make your choice... I am an avid 2 stroke guy but ended up going to a 4 banger MX this year because it is a great tool in the snow.. I road a ton of bikes to make the choice throughout the season. ..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yup, that's where I'm at. Your bike is all but snow ready as is. Fork Springs, carb heater, snow air filter, and you're good to go.

T
Oct 6, 2016
.... Not really, if ya think about it

Convex track on the TS is the best track on the market at the moment (this year we get to check out the new MaxTrak2 to see how it stacks up) and the TSS is a great addition for suspension travel. If you ride a LOT of deep deep snow the solid strut is actually better for traction and flotation since most people don't set the TSS up correctly for deep snow conditions.

I disagree,
Track - Not a big deal
TSS - is a great way to over stress a chain leading to a possible failure.
Attempting to fix a problem that shouldn't need fixing, if the suspension functioned properly...
Solid strut all the way.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I disagree,
Track - Not a big deal
Attempting to fix a problem that shouldn't need fixing, if the suspension functioned properly...
Solid strut all the way.

Track - Not a big deal LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL oooooookaaaay then
TSS - the JT chains the 2016 kits came with are junk. TS was ripped off and promised something JT didn't deliver on. Nobody is complaining of chain stress failures once they pick up a good DID or EK o-ring/x-ring chain. My chaincase chain didn't blow up because of TSS... yet somehow my drive chain lasted longer. Hrm.........

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I disagree,
Track - Not a big deal
Solid strut all the way.

Don't listen to anything tires2tracks guy says.
:bowl::bowl::bowl::bowl::bowl::bowl::bowl:

H
Nov 29, 2014
CT
www.huntersskidoo.com
I'll keep the 300 if I get a new bike. It's got studded tires on it, so it'll be useful over winter, even with another snowbike.

Money is not the issue. I just don't want to spend it if it's not needed. $8K for a 'new' bike, plus $6-7K for a track kit is pretty spendy vs $5K for a mototrax kit. Of course I would put a 500 xc-w to good use in the summer also...

I have a few leftover 2016 Timbersleds for $4495 + $250 off your TSS. That should save you some money to put towards a bike. www.huntersskidoo.com

Any of the 450/500 fuel injected bikes will do well with that kit, so get whatever you think you'd like best in the summer. Or... since youre keeping the 300 for the summer, get a 450XC/SX, or 450 Husky and keep it as a snowbike. If you don't absolutely have to use the bike in the summer, it becomes kind of a pain in the *** to switch back and forth, moreso if you have TSS. The kit itself is no big deal but the other little things add up in time. Change airbox, remove thermobob if installed, changing fork settings, etc. Just my opinion, if you have a summer bike and dont need/want 2 summer bikes, buy an aggressive 450 and make it a dedicated snowbike.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
If you read through the lines the wide ratio transmission work better on the 4 strokes than 2 strokes.
The WR450 fx for example pulls the snow tracks exceptionally well and has a reasonable top end. The comparatively narrow power band on the 2 stroke requires a tighter gear spacing and to work properly is like a geared down sx on the trail. Since you have a w I guess you know why you like it for trail work , the snow bike is the same way.
I have a distinct dislike for 30MPH in last gear. That said you need power and RPM to pull the next gear on a wide ratio box anything less than a 450 in race trim will not do it.

C
Nov 24, 2014
Wow guys, thanks a ton for all the helpful responses!

I guess I have some thinking to do...

My options are:

(1) Use my 300 xc-w with the mototrax cheapest option, but have to change winter/summer. Gearing not the best. Might be a total disappointment at 10-12Kft. ~$5K

(2) Used 450 mx bike with TS TSS ~ $6K for bike, plus $6.5K for the track, ~$12.5K

(3) Used KTM 500 xc-w. $7.5K for bike, $6.5 for track ~$14K. Can use the 500 over summer (hassle) and it would be the best choice if I was going to add a boondocker turbo?

(4) **** the snowbike idea, and just get a sled. RMK pro 160hp... $8-12K.

Any of these snowbikes will require a second set of forks, or at least some new springs. Also if I get a new moto, it'll need heated grips, carb heater, new intake etc... probably $1000-$3000 including forks.

I've never ridden a sled or a snowbike, so I have no idea, but from watching vids (and from years on my KTM), I think I'd much prefer a snowbike. BUT a sled sure looks like the easy option.

Head still spinning lol!!! :bowl:

C
Nov 24, 2014
I have a few leftover 2016 Timbersleds for $4495 + $250 off your TSS. That should save you some money to put towards a bike. www.huntersskidoo.com

Any of the 450/500 fuel injected bikes will do well with that kit, so get whatever you think you'd like best in the summer. Or... since youre keeping the 300 for the summer, get a 450XC/SX, or 450 Husky and keep it as a snowbike. If you don't absolutely have to use the bike in the summer, it becomes kind of a pain in the *** to switch back and forth, moreso if you have TSS. The kit itself is no big deal but the other little things add up in time. Change airbox, remove thermobob if installed, changing fork settings, etc. Just my opinion, if you have a summer bike and dont need/want 2 summer bikes, buy an aggressive 450 and make it a dedicated snowbike.

Thanks for the info, and I will be in contact if I go the TS TSS route.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
What I have found that is almost 100 percent in my circle is that if you come from dirtbiking and have never snowmobiled you will have 20 times more fun on the snowbike. I personally would not run a turbo your first year out on the snow so you get a feel for it.... We run 10000 plus and have plenty of fun with stock power. If you have to run a turbo you will need to find someone that can send it to you tuned in my option and Toby is fairly close to you for that..... Fuel injected 4 banger with a stat, hand warmers and battery will most likely give you the most enjoyable first experience... I wouldn't even mess with the springs till you find it is an issue. Also riding with other snowbikes really amps up the fun factor. For the prices you are quoting below I would be looking at a new yammi in my opinion.
Wow guys, thanks a ton for all the helpful responses!

I guess I have some thinking to do...

My options are:

(1) Use my 300 xc-w with the mototrax cheapest option, but have to change winter/summer. Gearing not the best. Might be a total disappointment at 10-12Kft. ~$5K

(2) Used 450 mx bike with TS TSS ~ $6K for bike, plus $6.5K for the track, ~$12.5K

(3) Used KTM 500 xc-w. $7.5K for bike, $6.5 for track ~$14K. Can use the 500 over summer (hassle) and it would be the best choice if I was going to add a boondocker turbo?

(4) **** the snowbike idea, and just get a sled. RMK pro 160hp... $8-12K.

Any of these snowbikes will require a second set of forks, or at least some new springs. Also if I get a new moto, it'll need heated grips, carb heater, new intake etc... probably $1000-$3000 including forks.

I've never ridden a sled or a snowbike, so I have no idea, but from watching vids (and from years on my KTM), I think I'd much prefer a snowbike. BUT a sled sure looks like the easy option.

Head still spinning lol!!! :bowl:

Premium Features