• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Matryx hood weight

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Ok, I weighed the hood from an Axys. If I remember right, it was around 8 lbs. Then I weighed the hood from a Matryx. If I remember right, it was around a million lbs, but that might be on the low side.

Why, Polaris? Have you decided that light weight is a terrible idea after all? Everybody says the problem is the Matryx headlight and 7s gauge, but it sure seems like it’s mostly the headlight to me. What was wrong with the Axys headlight? It was bright!

Anybody have any ideas for something that is light and also provides a decent amount of light? And isn’t hideous? It gets dark at 4:30 around here, so we need headlights.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Have you ever thought about just a light on your helmet? I have always rode Skinz hoods so I have no head light. I pack the small light that mounts on the go pro mount on my helmet. The lighting is better anyway because it's actually where you are looking not pointing into the stars when you are on the gas.

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Yeah, I could do that. I’m looking for something as bright as the Axys light though, for true night riding, not just getting off the mountain. Has anybody tried putting an Axys headlight into the Matryx hood? And- has anybody weighed the 7s gauge? Maybe I’m wrong and a lot of the weight comes from it.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Yeah, I could do that. I’m looking for something as bright as the Axys light though, for true night riding, not just getting off the mountain. Has anybody tried putting an Axys headlight into the Matryx hood? And- has anybody weighed the 7s gauge? Maybe I’m wrong and a lot of the weight comes from it.
Oxbow helmets light is about twice as bright as the Axys headlight.

Just did a night ride around my house with mine (matryx w headlight delete)

My buddy on his axys was riding blind trying to follow.

Maybe the snow we got in the last week caused most of his blindness. ?

33AAB3DC-EB96-4F86-8A21-B0599D5EAFDA.jpeg

CD7E8E04-CD42-4F15-B4D7-FDD6A9E76306.jpeg

Last edited:

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
there are tons of aftermarket LED lights out there for the ATV world, i deleted the headlight on my maytrix and i think the light was around 3pounds. i found a couple of 1 inch round LED lights that weigh about a .25 pound

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
There are also 3 companies making light weight hoods. The two hoods are about 5lbs difference. Two photos below, stock 22’ matryx hood with 7s gage and stock axys hood and no gage. Both have headlights.

00C4A4EE-5222-4C39-A46F-B085C723D8D9.jpeg F9544971-1F55-42A9-822C-BBF7CF35F770.jpeg

Last edited:
C
Dec 14, 2020
I put some $50 yellow LED pods on (less snow blindness), and it was about 1lb of light and 5oz of aluminum angle and rivets.

I still have a helmet light. Usage of the 1000 lumen light on my helmet depends on snow condition because it's blinding in blower powder.

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Thanks, everybody! Nice ideas! Who makes a headlight delete kit for the Matryx? What are the upsides and downsides of relying solely on a helmet light? I only used a frankensled once, and it frosted up (-30) and didn’t do much.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
I made my own out of a sheet of abs plastic, SLP filter/vent material and a couple of small metal brackets. I did it more to get the hot air out and cold air in than anything

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Ok, I weighed the hood from an Axys. If I remember right, it was around 8 lbs. Then I weighed the hood from a Matryx. If I remember right, it was around a million lbs, but that might be on the low side.

Why, Polaris? Have you decided that light weight is a terrible idea after all? Everybody says the problem is the Matryx headlight and 7s gauge, but it sure seems like it’s mostly the headlight to me. What was wrong with the Axys headlight? It was bright!

Anybody have any ideas for something that is light and also provides a decent amount of light? And isn’t hideous? It gets dark at 4:30 around here, so we need headlights.
Mountain fit hoods has a new lightweight hood for the Matryx. Couple storage options, it's 3.5 lbs with no bags or gauge in it. Looks better than the skinz hood in my opinion

Premium Features