• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ladies Ride: Transforming women sledders into Backcountry Butterflies

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
This year’s rides (yup, plural now with Tollgate, Halfway, Bend and Washington) have been pretty amazing. We have seen some noticeable revolutions among many of our fellow women riders. This past weekend at the Bend ride one group nicknamed themselves the butterflies as they fluttered from area to area. However, this got me to thinking, there is more to this word “butterfly” now. Below are some highlights of the transformation of women who ride snowmobiles into Backcountry Butterflies:

· I have witnessed ladies who normally would not climb any hill (nope, not going to do it!) conquer backcountry-treed hills without question. Following without hesitation.

· Taking a chance and busting a move on an off-camber situation, where normally they’d hand their sled over to their husband to ride out.

· Riders who couldn’t carve are now carving. Picking up a ski every chance they get!

· Ladies who didn’t know what a ****hook even was and now trying it!

· Ladies making plans to further their skills and expand their riding areas!

· Ladies deciding to work out and eat better to lengthen their riding days.

· Learning about proper riding gear - layering, venting, gloves, goggles etc.

· Learning about proper safety equipment – backpack, chest protector, knee pads, GPS radios, and tethers.

· Ladies who didn’t know that beacons & probes are a must in the back country are now planning to purchase them. (BTW husbands-who have these tools and their wives don't, we need to have a talk!!!)

· The initiative to learn more about their beacons and probes, even when they didn’t own them yet.

· Ladies who got their own truck and built their own one-place sled deck so they have the ease and independence to go ride whenever and where ever they feel like it.

· Confidence improvement in their riding abilities evidenced by Ladies starting to pick their own lines.

· Ladies stepping out of their comfort zone and asking to ride with the next level up group so that they can be pushed and learn new things.

· Ladies confident enough to stand up and speak their mind with out worry of drama. Realizing that their voice counts in the backcountry.

· Learning many different ways to get unstuck without ‘braun’….ie kick/ stomp, roll along. As well as learning about new tools to use - Straps, Kodiak shovel.

· Ladies were able to try out other sleds and are now in a better position to make up their own minds as to what sled they want next.

· Gained experience in how to handle mechanic issues, whether it was towing out a sled, changing a belt or learing to use tools to fix other issues.

· The creation of teamwork, comraderie and sharing of learned skills for when a rider gets stuck, hits a tree, or needs help loading or unloading.

· Navigation of difficult terrain at night when they have never had to ride out at night.

· Navigation via GPS to find and explore an “experienced riders only” area.

· And, last but not least, husbands realizing how invaluable this Ladies Ride time is and supporting their ladies in their endeavors!

I am sure I have missed some of them.. hopefully ladies will chime in with additions!

I am damn proud of what THE Ladies Ride has become. It definitely became more than I had ever imagined 12 years ago and I can NOT wait to see what is instore for us over the next 12 years. :heart:

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
I LOVE the ladies ride!!! The first time I went I really didn't 'get it' on the first day. I didn't get to ride all that hard, there was SOOO much going on, I dunno, just wasn't feeling it... BUT by the 3rd day I had made LASTING friendships with some of the ladies that were there and was SOOO glad I had gone...

However, I still dunno that I really got it until I took my GF Becky who has been around for a little while longer and was FLAT OUT AMAZED that an event like that of ALL WOMEN, no men allowed, actually existed and was a success!! It took her pointing it out to me to really get it... I travel all the time without my significant other. Was into riding long before I met him and never really thought twice about that aspect of it... However, that is NOT the case for the many women out there and this event REALLY gives ladies a chance to find THEIR love for the sport and enter into it on their level, from start to finish, the good the bad, planning a trip, dealing with issues on the trip, dealing with the smiles on the mtn, dealing with the stucks, the breakdowns, the late night ride outs... whatever it takes... then the giggles, or the little successes (or big ones!!)... they just feel so dern good!!!!

It's like when you're backpacking and you eat those NASTY meals in a bag and they taste A-MAZING!!! Have you ever cooked those up at home? They aren't as amazing! There is something about doing it yourself and FOR yourself that REALLY makes you appreciate something and find what makes you want to do it more. Find your passion!!

It's not that we hate men that we don't want the guys along on this trip. Quite the contrary; most of the women I know who go on this trip REALLY cherish their riding time with their bestest buddy, their full time wing man, their significant other... BUT, there is something about doing this trip for YOU and AS you, not as a tag along or even as a 'team' with your usual teammate...

Now, don't get me wrong about the hard riding part... there are MANY rippers who come!!!! and every now and then a group will form of rippers and they will go off and CHARGE the techy tech!!! But, I know for me the ride isn't about going to see how I stack up against other lady riders or trying to charge the nastiest terrain out there to proove we can do it! I usually end up going with a VERY diverse group and I take time to show them some skills, chat about the sport in general, work them through a couple scary things for them and generally just have a great time introducing them into the sport (or into the next level for them) -and I often get one of my bestest old time wing-women to come so every now and then we sneak off for a little charge time through the trees!! There are lots of giggles, lots of smiles, lots of hard work, lots of bonding and lots of learning about the sport in general!

I REALLY support what THE Ladies Ride is and have seen SOOO many women grow from this experience on SOOO many levels. NOT just as a rider but as a person with confidence and excitement to take on the next challenge!

Also, not to mention the fact that at Halfway we made over 1000 to donate to SAWS? Now, I know there are bigger events that draw more money but again, it's something that we did on our own! We put the money down that went towards those raffle prizes!! Although my freaking mother in law won EVERYTHING out from under me it was still fun!! hahahahaha

Anyway, MAD props to Brandy for keeping this going and despite some of the static and criticism from those who may not 'get it' kept it going and kept it true to the vision she had way back in the day. I think it's hugely important and support it with all my heart!!

P

PowderGirl

Nov 26, 2007
McCall, Idaho
www.facebook.com
Yes, there is so much positive that comes from these Ladies Ride(s) for women snowmobilers! I know sometimes my man still doesn't fully get "why" but simply put - he's just a guy and he never really will get it.

The reason I began to attend this ride was to meet other women who had the same passion for the sport that I did. Guys have unlimited friends who ride and I love riding with them, but I dont "Bond" with men like I do women and I also don't really bond with women who don't ride so my options for female companions were very limited. Well, it was very limited until I attended the Ladies Ride!!!!! So that is what I cherish about the ladies ride is finding girl friends who I can sit around with and bullchit with about chassis, riding techniques and snow conditions.... about pulling new lines and progressing my abilities.... and then about how bad I need to get my hair done and how much I love the new pair of jeans I just bought.... about what to cook for my family... and then joking around about sneaking off to pump breast milk while out riding with a bunch of clueless dudes!!!!! FYI guys - if a chick (with babies at home) is off behind a tree and you find her not stuck and her pants are NOT down around her ankles to take a "tinkle" - she's probably pumping breast milk. LOL

And, a few years ago at the ladies ride, I had the opportunity to LEAD all day! Wow, new concept for me! I learned to be a responsible leader too not just because I was in unfamiliar terrain but also since I had ladies of varying abilities in my group - I had to find terrain that is fun for the advanced but not too challenging for the not so advanced. This gave me a whole new perspective on riding - I guess I'd call it a new found confidence for me and now, I have no problem taking groups out on my own into the backcountry and do so now and again and I have fun doing it! And I'll take anyone through challenging technical terrain too if they want me to!

I didn't go to the ladies ride for two years though so that me and my husband could a few trips together during those years but this year, I went back and took three other gals with me (I'd always just gone to the ladies ride on my own in the past). It was fun to share the experience with them - two of the riders were VERY experienced and the other was less experienced (but one heck of a athlete) - and they were just amazed at how many women had shown up to this ride - they had no clue that this many women actually rode snowmobiles let alone could show up in their own truck and trailer without help from their significant others. It really is impressive! But most of all, its a blast! How can it get any better for a group of girlfriends who love to ride snowmobiles and get to go have their "girl time" riding in the backcountry!!!!!

Another thing me and the more advanced riders in my group were discussing is that it's nice for once to not be throttle to the bar ALL day and everywhere we go. I get to spend time picking out my own lines and honing in my skills and on my own terms. I get opportunities to do so now again of course riding with my man and male riding partners depending on who we ride with but even then, when we take a break and chat for a bit, I'm with a bunch of dudes. Just not the same! I've found a very fluent group of females to ride with here in McCall and I give major props to THE LADIE RIDEs events for giving me the gull and confidence to organize rides with just my girlfriends!!!!

Last edited:
S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
This isn't some bad Arse video this is just something we put together for the shop that let us take a demo sled down to the Ladies Ride... Coeur D'Alene Polaris was cool enough to let us take a Prop RMK 600 down to the ladies ride for 3 days of demo rides and smiles!! I had a camera mounted on the front for some of the fun and we threw it together into a little vid...

Just one of the cool things that happens at the LR; ladies get to demo sleds they might be interested in buying and get some real quality time in on them!!!

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
My wife owned an 01 Ski-Doo 800 ZX 5-6 years ago that blew up after a couple rides, after that she would just ride on the back of my Rev or ride it by herself on itnow and then. March 8th we found har an M-7 for a really good deal and she LOVES it, unfortantly the seasons all but over but she can't wait for next winter. 3 of us have wives that ride with us.

IMG_0496.jpg IMG_0462.jpg

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Here is a quote by Matthew Mallory, our photographer for the All Girls Clinic in Whistler 2 weekends ago. Pretty much sums up the atmosphere of the Ladies Rides:

It was clapping and cheering when one of them would attempt a new move, get stuck, crash or clean a line and when one got stuck all flocked to her sled. Many hands make light work and smiles were plastered across all their faces from the start of the day until they dragged their weary asses back to their trucks for the ride home. Nothing caused a frown or an explosion of explicit language that has a tendency to creep in to a guys ride.

His BLOG of the day.

And for those that might read into all of this that I no longer like to ride with men... BWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAA not even remotely close to true. :devil: But watching some of these ladies grow their skills and confidence this winter has been amazingly rewarding on a different level. :heart:

W

Woops!

Mar 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
I got to go on my first Ladies Ride here in Alaska about a month ago. While I tried to get gals I knew here to go, no one would so I drove 5 hours to ride with 6 women I didn't know. I can be a bit of a social nincompoop:face-icon-small-blu so I wasn't sure I'd be comfy, but it was a blast! I ended up sleeping in one of their trailers (instead of my truck which I only had to nap in for a few hours), they were so welcoming even though we come from different walks of life, so it was even more awesome to be able to relax by the end of the day and just ride. Having never rode with a group of women, (and rarely even one once in a blue moon) it made it so fun to get stuck, help others get unstuck, and go for it. I may or may not get to ride with them again, but they inspired me and I'm hoping to get a local ladies ride together for next year:) My only complaint was that they all brought their own hot snacks so I didn't get to be the mother hen with the food which apparently is not needed when riding with women:face-icon-small-win

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Congrats Ladies on the beginnings of a new tradition! And props to you Brandy for taking a leadership role.

More women who ride will be good for the sport, and all-ladies rides create opportunities for women to challenge themselves without the pressure (real or imagined) to try and keep-up with the guys.

And the best part is if this keeps up and more women get into snowmobiling......

wait for it

.......Dogmeat will eventually find him a girlfriend.

Seriously, as the husband of a lady with an under utilized sled, I salute you!

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
My only complaint was that they all brought their own hot snacks so I didn't get to be the mother hen with the food which apparently is not needed when riding with women:face-icon-small-win

Come ride with me... I'm ALWAYS looking for extra food! ;)

Congrats Ladies on the beginnings of a new tradition! And props to you Brandy for taking a leadership role.

More women who ride will be good for the sport, and all-ladies rides create opportunities for women to challenge themselves without the pressure (real or imagined) to try and keep-up with the guys.

And the best part is if this keeps up and more women get into snowmobiling......

wait for it

.......Dogmeat will eventually find him a girlfriend.

Seriously, as the husband of a lady with an under utilized sled, I salute you!

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaaaaaaaa oh snap! ;)

Thank you. Under utilized is a great term from a sled that just doesn't get ridden on enough days to a sled's throttle that never sees it's true bar clamped potential. I wish you luck with your lady!

I REALLY REALLY want to get up to AK and do a Ladies Ride up there... and also want to just get up to RIDE too. Someday... someday...

W

Woops!

Mar 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
Come ride with me... I'm ALWAYS looking for extra food! ;)
I REALLY REALLY want to get up to AK and do a Ladies Ride up there... and also want to just get up to RIDE too. Someday... someday...

Come ride with us Any Day!... I'll make my special cheesesteak eggrolls:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features