• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ktm stator help

J

JTAB

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman Montana
www.lientransportation.com
I just replaced my stator on a 2014 450 SXF KTM with a Ricky's Stator, I was tired of dead batteries from running heaters.
I did a test idling with heaters on high, headlight on, and cooling fan running constant. I did this for 20 minutes and battery stayed at 13.4 volts the whole time. So I am hoping my problems are solved.

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
Where you get a rickys stator? Interested? Did you ohm test your stock one? Curious your results.
I just replaced my stator on a 2014 450 SXF KTM with a Ricky's Stator, I was tired of dead batteries from running heaters.
I did a test idling with heaters on high, headlight on, and cooling fan running constant. I did this for 20 minutes and battery stayed at 13.4 volts the whole time. So I am hoping my problems are solved.
Want to part with your stock one? Could you ohm it and see what you get? I am thinking mine is on the wee side at 1.2? I dont have elec bar heaters or headlight.

H

hiltz

Oct 30, 2015
Edmonton, AB
I say its battery, I had same problem. thought it was electrical because I had a brand new lead/acid battery... pulled the trigger on a lithium ion and boom, fired up no problem has ran perfect since. Also in case you didn't know some KTM bikes do not come with a capacitor, which means bike will not run without battery juice.

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
The battery is new and sits at 12.5 to 12.8 volts. When you start the bike it should be getting a charge but does not move from current range. If I hook up tender while it is running it will move to 13v. Something is wrong with charging system from stator, voltage regulator to battery. I have a newer lithium I took out but have not had luck in cold weather with them is why I installed a new lead acid. Same one I run in my yamaha yz and works fine. I will test the lithium one in warm garage to see if it makes a difference, I have had new battery show good voltage but not have the amps before?

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
I say its battery, I had same problem. thought it was electrical because I had a brand new lead/acid battery... pulled the trigger on a lithium ion and boom, fired up no problem has ran perfect since. Also in case you didn't know some KTM bikes do not come with a capacitor, which means bike will not run without battery juice.
Can you explain capacitor? Looks like you are correct in saying 2013 450 sxf would not have one. Just curious what it does. I know it stores energy that’s it.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Can you explain capacitor? Looks like you are correct in saying 2013 450 sxf would not have one. Just curious what it does. I know it stores energy that’s it.
A capacitor improves the “power factor”.It does this by introducing capacitive reactance to the circuit to offset inductive reactance. Oh wait,. Am I not on the powerline forum?

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Raleigh, a capacitor acts a bit like a battery. Many are the side of a D battery. It gets charged when the bike is running/charging and then discharges its' stored capacity when the terminals of the capacitor are connected together. On the bike it would discharge its' stored capacity when kick starting the bike and provide current to fire the fuel pump and ignition which gets the bike started at which time the stator begins to provide the current to operate the electrical system and recharges the capacitor. It becomes helpful when the battery is completely dead and otherwise without the capacitor it would not start. As need power mentioned it also acts a bit like an electrical shock absorber absorbing and smoothing out the spikes. At least that's what I think he said?. Most electric motors employ a capacitor to assist the initial start when additional current helps get the motor up to rpm quickly.

I don't think many bikes have them stock. My ktm does not. Someone on thumpertalk sells a plug in kit that employs a capacitor to help start bikes with dead battery.

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
update, replaced voltage regulator. Tested voltage on yellow wires and for some reason they went from 8v on one side and 4 volts on the other to 6 and 6? Swapped out battery for lithium one that reads 13.1 and no change to charging system. When you start the bike i see no difference in battery voltage, it will drop as you turn it over but after it starts it will return to the 13.0 13.1 which is what it reads before you turn it over. Waiting for stator to show up and will try that next.

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
anyone have a stator on the shelf they can test. I am curious if the 1.1 to 1.2 ohm I am getting is on the low side? Book said 1.1 to 1.6. New stator has not showed up yet, still waiting.

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
Fixed. After examining the wiring diagram I decided to try and figure out how the battery is getting charged when the bike is running. 4 wires run back to the start relay. The start relay was not letting the charging wire from the ecu get through to the battery. After swapping the start relay the start button and charging problems went away. Bad connection corroded in there! Fuel pump will jump right up to 54lbs now on first crank and you can hear fuel pump now if you just tap the start button it will prime to 54lbs.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Great that you figured it out! Was there a fuse on the starter relay that the charge current had to pass through? Strange things happen on snow bikes. Mine gets salt on it sometimes and it's rough on the electric connections

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
Great that you figured it out! Was there a fuse on the starter relay that the charge current had to pass through? Strange things happen on snow bikes. Mine gets salt on it sometimes and it's rough on the electric connections
Not 100 sure on fuse? Yes 2 fuses and both were good, 10 amp.You can see corroded inside. Can’t remember which wire but one comes from Ecu and charges battery. Stator power to voltage regulator to Ecu then out to start relay to charge battery.

250A062F-4DB4-4BB8-A28A-50DCEC42E3F0.jpeg

Premium Features