• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arrow 3 Track

Guitarman

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
I the chance yesterday to compare my 2023 Timbersled Aro3 129 to my riding buddies 2015 Timbersled 120" with 2" paddles. To save time here I'll cut to the chase. The difference in track speed was amazing. We are on almost identical KTM 450 SX-F's. He could carry a gear higher on a climb than I could. If the goal is track speed he wins hands down. My question is: Is the 3 inch track really an advantage? Is there a better track available? Thoughts please? Thanks

Last edited:
D
Apr 25, 2019
WA
I love mine vs my old 17 kit with a 129 cmx track on it. The other kit did well but the new one does out perform it. I had to go to an 18 tooth jackshaft sprocket to be able to use the bike gears correctly on my RMZ. 3rd was useless climbing with the 17 tooth.

E
Dec 19, 2007
It really depends where you ride and how dense the snow is. If there is a good base anywhere near the surface the 3 inch will just slow you down. But with no base it rules. I think a good compromise are the full width 2.5 yeti cmx style paddles that don't taper. They are almost as good as a 3 in no base but way better in harder snow.

Guitarman

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
I appreciate your replies. I agree that 2.5 would be better overall and certainly think it will carry more track speed. The 3 inch makes riding on trail even more of an adventure. Thanks again.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
For our sugary snow that often doesn't have a good base, I find the ARO3 amazing. Quite an advantage even over my 2018 ARO 137.

Compared to an old 2" 2015 kit, it is night and day.

However, I could see if you rode more coastal heavier snow, I would think the 120x12.5x2.5 would be pretty fun.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
I have the ARO 3 on my Husky and I have the 120 Riot S on my KTM. The ARO does a little bit better deep snow capability when going slow and picking tight lines in the trees, however, the RIOT is very capable in the deep snow and is all around more fun. The Riot handles much better with less effort. I've found that the RIOT is very capable in the deep snow, but you have to keep your speed up, it struggles a little going slow and getting started in the deep. Just for the pure fun of riding and being playful, I'll ride the RIOT as much as I can...that is when my daughter will let me...

A
Nov 14, 2017
I just came off a Aro120SX which had a 129 CMX Track on it (2.5" paddles). I have gone to an Aro3s.

I can't speak to other types of snow. I only ride in the mountains and generally have a lot of powder on top of a decent base (although this year isnt great for base).

The 3" absolutely has better grab with less trenching than the 2.5". That said, the 2.5" absolutely was more nimble and allowed for better track speed. In the tight trees the 2.5" would let me spin the track and "scoot" around the tight corner. The 3" is more like a tractor and sometimes wants to push me forward when I am trying to turn. The 3" is way less work to ride and gets up on the snow better. I am Wide Open Throttle less, and not as worried about losing momentum when going uphill. The 3" brakes better on downhills where you are the 5th guy down and you cannot get any powder and you are on a bobsled run!

Overall I am preferring the 3" for deep snow. Although it has its negatives compared to the old track, I think it just works better and allows for more fun and less stucks.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Yeh that's funny I was thinking the same thing when I read his first post that it was in a higher gear possibly spinning the track more but possibly going slower. But that's not always the case and totally depending on snow density. I used to smoke the 450s with 2.5 tracks all day long in the spring with my bone stock 250sx and a 2 inch track that tapered on the edges. It was fast.

P
Jan 20, 2023
Bothell
I have now ridden a few brands, and I am of the opinion Aro 3 might have an advantage in few cases, and certain conditions, but overall not the best overall choice, , and pricy!!. It feels sluggish, and heavy, Check out the ZF kit , it have a unique track giving you the best blend, I think..., slightly longer than 2.5 lugs, and 127' long and the most important 12.5 wide.. It feels fast spooling and it may be the best deep snow climbing track,

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
Rode a yeti on a 450sxf with an aro3 track on it and wow. It's been trimmed down on the outside lugs to fit the yeti tunnel. That's the best deep snow weapon I've been on. Better than my buddies riot3 on his brc 500, even when he has his suspension locked out.

Good enough I may have to buy a yeti and do it too someday....

I'm of the opinion that the 3" tracks definitely climb better, but at the cost of speed and fun factor. Almost like sled pulling. A slow heavy tractor is going to win hands down, but trying to make a pickup do the same thing is way more entertaining.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I the chance yesterday to compare my 2023 Timbersled Aro3 129 to my riding buddies 2015 Timbersled 120" with 2" paddles. To save time here I'll cut to the chase. The difference in track speed was amazing. We are on almost identical KTM 450 SX-F's. He could carry a gear higher on a climb than I could. If the goal is track speed he wins hands down. My question is: Is the 3 inch track really an advantage? Is there a better track available? Thoughts please? Thanks
3 inch sucks the track speed down horribly. They also need to be geared low so there's very little overrev with short gears, There is not enough HP to spin a 3 inch with authority , Even Pros on Turbo sleds prefer and lug shorter than 3 inch. Those who have one will tell you how bad ass it is, even the 2.6 tracks start to kill track speeds , The 2.5 square edge is the sweet spot IMO and it needs to have enough flex to maintain track speeds. stiff tracks suck power down as well and excavate the snow under skid causing trenching. I have also run a prototype 3 inch 4 years ago with same results. I have many tracks in shop and for powder the 2020/21 Yeti 2.5 was the best balance however i prefer a square edge. The CMX track is stiff and heavier by 4 lbs and also pulls down track speed , old Yeti 2.5 tracks were so soft they just spin , track length also plays a factor in maintaining track speed.. The 3 inch is the best track for poking around in the deep where bike speed is slower. so there is no smoking gun as conditions change . For slower riders the 3 inch can have an advantage where a fast rider will make a 2.5 fast track speeds float and be far more fun and fast . on same kit we tested maxtrac 1 and 2, CMX, T sled ,new yeti 2.5 and two new yeti 2.6 tracks which one was soft and one stiffer. the best overall was the 2021 2.5, the 3 inch works best on a 500 which has far less RPM than a 450 so its more of a traction type setup not high track speeds.

Last edited:

Guitarman

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
There is much to learn here. And I appreciate all the different opinions. I think next year will see a different track on my Aro 3. Track speed= Fun!!

E
Dec 19, 2007
3 inch sucks the track speed down horribly. They also need to be geared low so there's very little overrev with short gears, There is not enough HP to spin a 3 inch with authority , Even Pros on Turbo sleds prefer and lug shorter than 3 inch. Those who have one will tell you how bad ass it is, even the 2.6 tracks start to kill track speeds , The 2.5 square edge is the sweet spot IMO and it needs to have enough flex to maintain track speeds. stiff tracks suck power down as well and excavate the snow under skid causing trenching. I have also run a prototype 3 inch 4 years ago with same results. I have many tracks in shop and for powder the 2020/21 Yeti 2.5 was the best balance however i prefer a square edge. The CMX track is stiff and heavier by 4 lbs and also pulls down track speed , old Yeti 2.5 tracks were so soft they just spin , track length also plays a factor in maintaining track speed.. The 3 inch is the best track for poking around in the deep where bike speed is slower. so there is no smoking gun as conditions change . For slower riders the 3 inch can have an advantage where a fast rider will make a 2.5 fast track speeds float and be far more fun and fast . on same kit we tested maxtrac 1 and 2, CMX, T sled ,new yeti 2.5 and two new yeti 2.6 tracks which one was soft and one stiffer. the best overall was the 2021 2.5, the 3 inch works best on a 500 which has far less RPM than a 450 so its more of a traction type setup not high track speeds.
I agree but can you clarify "square edge" I've had all the tracks you tested except the 2.6 yeti. My cmx truly had square edged paddles but the 2.5 yeti paddles are rounded on the corner and the aro\riot are a full taper on the outer lugs. Aro 3 from my memory is square edged?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I agree but can you clarify "square edge" I've had all the tracks you tested except the 2.6 yeti. My cmx truly had square edged paddles but the 2.5 yeti paddles are rounded on the corner and the aro\riot are a full taper on the outer lugs. Aro 3 from my memory is square edged?
yes i run a custom cut 137SS track which then has a square edge. CMX has square edge but very stiff paddles and belting, for powder a stiff track will excavate the snow under the skid and trench , soft paddle tend to roll the snow off each paddle tip packing it and the next paddle then grabs that denser snow which when spinning this keeps the skid up much higher in the snow , Small changes in paddle stiffness drastically alter powder performance. the 2022 and 20233 yeti 2.6 tracks are drastically different in the rubber compound and stiffness.

G

gorillam

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 28, 2017
yes i run a custom cut 137SS track which then has a square edge. CMX has square edge but very stiff paddles and belting, for powder a stiff track will excavate the snow under the skid and trench , soft paddle tend to roll the snow off each paddle tip packing it and the next paddle then grabs that denser snow which when spinning this keeps the skid up much higher in the snow , Small changes in paddle stiffness drastically alter powder performance. the 2022 and 20233 yeti 2.6 tracks are drastically different in the rubber compound and stiffness.
What do you prefer in the deep the 2023 2.6 yeti or 2022 2.6 yeti? Did they go stiffer on the 2023?

G

gorillam

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 28, 2017
I might have to UV harden my 22 track the center lugs are folded over pretty bad already with very little use.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I might have to UV harden my 22 track the center lugs are folded over pretty bad already with very little use.
yes that track is no better than the maxtrax 2 , the 23 totally different

Premium Features