• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM 300 frozen piston

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
Went to fire up my buddies ktm 300 after unloading it from the trailer and it was locked solid. Had to put it back in the trailer and run the heater to get it to thaw out. Was fine after that. We had loaded the bike the night prior and it ran for about 30 seconds and was then shut off. I'm guessing moisture on the piston skirt was freezing it to the cylinder. Anybody else have issues with this?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Went to fire up my buddies ktm 300 after unloading it from the trailer and it was locked solid. Had to put it back in the trailer and run the heater to get it to thaw out. Was fine after that. We had loaded the bike the night prior and it ran for about 30 seconds and was then shut off. I'm guessing moisture on the piston skirt was freezing it to the cylinder. Anybody else have issues with this?

Water in the stator cover?

T
Jan 19, 2008
Kootenays
I had that happen a few years ago on my 300 xc-w. Loaded it up in pickup. drove 45 minutes and unloaded at staging area and it was locked solid. I warmed it up (Truck exhaust) and it unlocked. I rode it that day with no issues.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
I concur

I have found water under the stator cover on the KTM 2 strokes quite often, too much pressure washing or? I bet your flywheel was frozen as per the above suggestions.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Do the wet mod. Never have it freeze and starter is supposed to like it.

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
What is the wet mod? I'm getting water in my stator on my KX500 and would love to figure out a fix for it! Thanks!

I also have a kx500 and get condensation pretty much every ride in the stator cover. The problem is the ignition is sealed unlike most 2 strokes that have a little drain hole.
I dry mine after every ride and spray a little WD-40 on it.
I have read through trail tech the idea of running 100 - 200ml of oil in the ignition to keep the stator cooler. Would it stop condensation? I don't know.
I've been seriously considering trying it.

S
Mar 2, 2018
I also have a kx500 and get condensation pretty much every ride in the stator cover. The problem is the ignition is sealed unlike most 2 strokes that have a little drain hole.
I have read through trail tech the idea of running 100 - 200ml of oil in the ignition to keep the stator cooler. Would it stop condensation? I don't know.

I have the stock ignition, not the PVL so I'm going to try the simple drain hole mod and see how it goes. Will let you know after this weekend.

S
Mar 2, 2018
So I drilled a 1/8" hole in the bottom of the stator cover, and it certainly made a difference. I was not running an engine jacket for a few rides but had some serious throttle icing issues on a deep day. I'm running a Lectron with an Avid carb heater, but I couldn't keep my temps high enough to prevent the icing. I added a new engine jacket which seems to have resolved the carb icing but now the mis-firing issue has become more persistent. I was thinking of drilling a few more drain holes in the stator cover, but not sure that will help. Any ideas?

A
Nov 14, 2017
So I drilled a 1/8" hole in the bottom of the stator cover, and it certainly made a difference. I was not running an engine jacket for a few rides but had some serious throttle icing issues on a deep day. I'm running a Lectron with an Avid carb heater, but I couldn't keep my temps high enough to prevent the icing. I added a new engine jacket which seems to have resolved the carb icing but now the mis-firing issue has become more persistent. I was thinking of drilling a few more drain holes in the stator cover, but not sure that will help. Any ideas?

I would do the wet mod before I would drill more holes personally

E
Dec 19, 2007
I just leave the gasket off the stator cover and spray everything inside with wd40. I've never had one freeze but my garage is heated and we typically have a long road ride the heats the bikes up to dry out the pow ingestion before we get back to the truck

Premium Features