• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard to pull after rebuilding

D
Jan 12, 2023
Selah
I just finished doing a full rebuild with a new crank, cylinder and pistons in my 2019 Polaris rmk pro 850 snowmobile. I went to try and start it and it was insanely hard to pull and kept snagging and didn't feel good at all but after a few tries it started up and sounded really good idling for about 30 seconds then I shut it off. I tried to start it again and it was was still very hard to pull wand kept snagging and really had to muscle it through the snags to get it to go but once it starts it sounds good. Does anybody have any ideas why it is so hard to pull? Thank you

208_RMK

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
Idaho
Are you the one who asked about the new crank with the retaining rings trying to fit into the 2019 cases? If so what did you end up doing, get the cases machined or did you remove the rings? If I were you I'd pull the engine and have a professional disassemble and reassemble it for you. Something is really off, don't try and start it with out pulling it down for a look inside. It should actually pull the easiest after a rebuild as the piston rings haven't fully seated to the cylinders yet. It's going to keep getting expensive if you don't stop the bleeding man.

Last edited:
D
Jan 12, 2023
Selah
I am heading over to put the clutch on and try it right now I was thinking the same thing as I was laying in bed last night. And I talked to a few professionals and also talked to my dealer and they all told me to just take the ring off and use the loctite 603 as thats what they do and I followed the service manual very closely so I'm hoping putting the clutch on fixes this. Thanks guys

D
Jan 12, 2023
Selah
I put the clutch back on and it starts up good now and I took it to the dealership and they released the exhaust valves, bled air out of oil lines and reset the it to be in break in mode again so I think it's ready to rip. Thank you guys for all the help!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I pulled over an 800 one time without a primary clutch, that was a very quick lesson.
I was trying to check Crank run out.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Same issue but I removed the motor to investigate. No need to pull motor. I didn’t have the clutch on. Haha I’m dumb!

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Why would not having the primary clutch on make a difference in how hard it is to pull over?

Premium Features