• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kit choices, tough decisions 2017

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I personally have never heard of any Timbersled stomping a MotoTrax

It's not me and the things I've discussed with reputable riders that you need to worry about, it's all the things in the The Bad: section of my post that would concern me.

Bring your new 2017 kit to the Flathead, which is the 2nd largest population of snowbikers outside of Sandpoint Idaho, and announce a ride. I promise I'll show up and take your kit for a rip and give a full review.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Here is some input from one of the Mototrax riders whom I trust:

"The good:
The kit seems fairly efficient, probably due to the lightweight yeti track. It spins up pretty fast.
It seems pretty balanced even though there is a large distance between the tip of the paddles and the bike frame (like 4” compared to the ts which nearly rubs on most bikes)
It transfers weight really well, you can lift the ski off a small bump and hold a wheelie for a while.

The Bad:
The ski is a joke, it’s only slightly better than a 6” wide Simmons on the road and way worse off-trail. It doesn’t hold a line and submarines when you go downhill or land a jump.
On a bumpy trail the skid would soak up about 5 bumps and then rebound violently. Like wants to throw you over the bars and pile-drive you into the ground type of rebound. It’s super sketchy.
When you hit a jump the skid rebounds so fast that you’re forced to land ski first just hoping you don’t go over the bars. Landing ski-first with a narrow ski that likes to wash out is a bad thing.
Off-trail it does ok until you try to climb something technical then all that weight transfer that I mentioned above fights you. It wheelies to the point where you have to let off, then you trench in and stick it when you try to get going again.
Downhill turns just don’t happen with the 2016 ski. You’ll find yourself face down in the snow if you try.
I don’t think you can actually lift the kit from the rear bumper, the whole tunnel/bumper assembly flexes a ton when you try. I was afraid to break it, so I didn’t push it too much.
The tunnel/bumper is narrower than the track, so you’re constantly being pelted with snow.
The plastic on the tunnel is poorly attached and rattles/vibrates loudly. ALL DAY LONG.
No gas can rack? Packing gas is a must for most people."

I've also been told that the Mototrax just can't hang with the TS in the trees... the TS pretty much walks away from it. The Yeti track spins up faster than the Convex on the TS mostly because it's not very stiff and doesn't grab traction like the Convex. Yes the track is lighter, but that doesn't necessarily translate to better backcountry performance.
Any chance you can verify which kit it was that these comments were based on? With so many changes each year it's hard to tell which ones are a big deal, and which are non issue. I'm going to eliminate the ski problems because they are using new ski, and also the ski seems like an easily changed part that people are using different combos with different tracks to suit their setups.

I like the comment about hitting a lip or bump and carrying the front for a wheelie (ski-ie?) but the climbing/trenching does sound like a problem.

Moto4life care to comment on this? And the rebounding comments?

Last edited:
M

MFJ

Jan 14, 2016
I do actually owe you a clarification on this. What we are seeing around here lately are lots of review posts from people who haven't spent a season or two on the kits. It wasn't directed at you personally, just at the current trend that seems to be forming. The review I posted was from someone who has been in the game from nearly the beginning, has ridden just about everything out there, and whom I feel gives a fully honest review because he and his crew really put the kits through their paces. When I say paces I mean full on, full out, pounding rides.

So while I don't know you and how or what you ride please know that I am not directing my post at you specifically. I will certainly ride with you. I'm over here in the Flathead so next time you are in the area bring that kit over and we can go tear it up.

Glad we got that sorted out. But are all the posts about MotoTrax really a bad thing or just a sign of a new company gaining traction by doing a better job of marketing and promoting their product?

M
Mar 14, 2012
I would prefer to ride one to test, but that seems an impossibility for me now that it's April so I would love the talk up for sure!

We are about to post a video up today explaining all of the improvements. Also I would not buy into the "trail performance is useless", we typically ride 5 to 10 miles up the trail to the good snow, would you prefer a smooth fast ride to the deep snow, or a slow darty ride. How is blitzing a trail on a dirt bike fun but you throw snow on it and the trail sucks, on a MotoTrax you can blitz rutted narly whooped out trails like you do on a bike and have fun doing it. In fact some of my all time funnest rides have been Zak and I racing down a single track that we packed a couple times, then lining up and racing a few miles all out. The deep is fun but hard to place a winner on who carved the coolest! Of course we make a competition out of that too but the judging rules are a bit more subjective.:face-icon-small-hap

I will look into posting a direct comparison to the TS system later, we are still working on that as well.

For instance MotoTrax is made is the USA, the other guys (well you can ask them but they probably wont tell you, unfortunately its now where it used to be).

We also provide direct support to our customers, you wont get that from TS. At least not anymore.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Rush , your as loyal to TS as I am to the Snow Hawk .

I appreciate your honesty , the good that you mentioned must be a benefit over some of the others in more ways .
One that is over looked is how they reigned the over thinking of trying to figure out how to stuff a snowmobile tunnel and skid under a bike .

Their tunnel has everyone beat when it comes to least amount of drag , you guys don't realize how bad a full length tunnel actually hinders the machine . Two of the sled manufactures are trying to address those issues with their 17s'

I didn't notice any cone heads in their vids .

It also sounds like those that didn't like it didn't have the set up that would of suited them .

As far as the ski goes it doesn't matter because everyone has a different riding style and in different conditions . There is no do all ski and it would be wrong to think a on ski only needs one ski .

Yeti s the only one that offers a fuel container designed for a bike kit .

Heard they did pretty good at Jackson Hole .

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Rush , your as loyal to TS as I am to the Snow Hawk .

I appreciate your honesty , the good that you mentioned must be a benefit over some of the others in more ways .
One that is over looked is how they reigned the over thinking of trying to figure out how to stuff a snowmobile tunnel and skid under a bike .

Their tunnel has everyone beat when it comes to least amount of drag , you guys don't realize how bad a full length tunnel actually hinders the machine . Two of the sled manufactures are trying to address those issues with their 17s'

I didn't notice any cone heads in their vids .

It also sounds like those that didn't like it didn't have the set up that would of suited them .

As far as the ski goes it doesn't matter because everyone has a different riding style and in different conditions . There is no do all ski and it would be wrong to think a on ski only needs one ski .

Yeti s the only one that offers a fuel container designed for a bike kit .

Heard they did pretty good at Jackson Hole .
Who's tunnel has everyone beat? Sorry you lost me on that one.

M
Mar 14, 2012
Any chance you can verify which kit it was that these comments were based on? With so many changes each year it's hard to tell which ones are a big deal, and which are non issue. I'm going to eliminate the ski problems because they are using new ski, and also the ski seems like an easily changed part that people are using different combos with different tracks to suit their setups.

I like the comment about hitting a lip or bump and carrying the front for a wheelie (ski-ie?) but the climbing/trenching does sound like a problem.

Moto4life care to comment on this? And the rebounding comments?

I actually just awnsered this in a PM as I didnt want to fully poach your thread but since you asked I will let er rip.

The good:
The kit seems fairly efficient, probably due to the lightweight yeti track. It spins up pretty fast. Actually has nothing to do with the Yeti track, our new track spins up faster and has better grip in nearly every snow condition, the efficiency is in our drive train and hub system, basically less moving parts and lower weight of those parts. This is actually one of the reason we moved from the Yeti track and with the new track being even stiffer this will make the track even less effective. Our new track options are a 2" challenger or a 1.6" cobra track. Both can pull a gear higher in most snow conditions the the 16 MotoTrax kits with Yeti tracks.
It seems pretty balanced even though there is a large distance between the tip of the paddles and the bike frame (like 4” compared to the ts which nearly rubs on most bikes) The 17 will be moved forward about 1" for even better transfer but as stated the MotoTrax carves the best even at the current length.
It transfers weight really well, you can lift the ski off a small bump and hold a wheelie for a while. This is why we do not need a TSS right now and the new kit has a better rear arm setting for better control of the weight transfer, but really you have to ride it like a dirt bike, you lean forward up steep climbs to keep the front end down, This is the biggest issue with people demoing MotoTrax units coming from ANY of our competitors. The MotoTrax feels like a dirt bike and needs to be ridden like one, so many riders who are used to other kits have to remember how to ride a bike, this is also the reason so many "New" snowbikers love the MotoTrax, its because they only know how to ride it like a bike, they have not learn the bad habits that through off the balance of the MotoTrax kit.

The Bad:
The ski is a joke, it’s only slightly better than a 6” wide Simmons on the road and way worse off-trail. It doesn’t hold a line and submarines when you go downhill or land a jump. We fixed this with the new ski coming out with the MY17 kits, wider and more like the TS with special keel design that allows for easy and predictable trail performance. Also a ski is like a tire, they all work better in different conditions so we made our mount to fit both the TS and Yeti ski if you prefer those, the fact is I have taken all three skis and let about 100 people ride in West Yellowstone and locally, guess what, it was nearly an even split as the which ski people liked best, its a user and riding style issue so the best approach is to let the customer be able to choose, much like a tire on a bike.

On a bumpy trail the skid would soak up about 5 bumps and then rebound violently. Like wants to throw you over the bars and pile-drive you into the ground type of rebound. It’s super sketchy.
When you hit a jump the skid rebounds so fast that you’re forced to land ski first just hoping you don’t go over the bars. Landing ski-first with a narrow ski that likes to wash out is a bad thing.
This was definitely the result of a skid that was improperly set up, we have a $1,000 fully adjustable motocross shock in the skid and rebound is easily adjusted, it almost seems like someone had the clickers all over the place and took it WAY out of balance. With that being said the new kits have an even more progressive suspension system with stiffer linkage components and come with all new valving that handles rough conditions, plus the new kits will come with a setup guide so the above issues caused by settings are eliminated.

Off-trail it does ok until you try to climb something technical then all that weight transfer that I mentioned above fights you. It wheelies to the point where you have to let off, then you trench in and stick it when you try to get going again. This I am not sure about, we had about 5 test riders this year that have all said the opposite and that in the trees it carves so fast and easy that TS riders have a hard time keeping up, my only explanations would be the really messed up suspension settings. We have also found the Yeti track to cause more trenching due to the deep paddles but its 50/50. Some snow conditions it cannot get stuck, others is will dig a hole on a flat, another reason we got away from it.

Downhill turns just don’t happen with the 2016 ski. You’ll find yourself face down in the snow if you try. Turns on the 2016 in the powder can be challenging in special snow conditions, the reason we put so much effort into our new ski!

I don’t think you can actually lift the kit from the rear bumper, the whole tunnel/bumper assembly flexes a ton when you try. I was afraid to break it, so I didn’t push it too much. The rear bumper was to light plain and simple, the new bumping is heavily reinforced and guaranteed not to break. Nuff said.

The tunnel/bumper is narrower than the track, so you’re constantly being pelted with snow. New tunnel is slightly larger (longer and wider but still tapered for carving clearance) to eliminate this.

The plastic on the tunnel is poorly attached and rattles/vibrates loudly. ALL DAY LONG. While it was not poorly attached it did vibrate alot, we fixed this with a foam cushion seal that mates between the plastic and frame, on the 17 model the only noise is the engine.

No gas can rack? Packing gas is a must for most people." We actually had an integrated gas rack for the RotoPax gas system. With that being said the new 17 kit has an integrated system for the Mountain Addictions can, the RotoPax System, and the MotoTrax tuff jug system, the Mountain models will come with a 2.7 gal MotoTrax Tuff Jug with the option of a 5 gal as well. Why 5 gals? Because some of our Canadian riders asked for it!

I've also been told that the Mototrax just can't hang with the TS in the trees... the TS pretty much walks away from it. The Yeti track spins up faster than the Convex on the TS mostly because it's not very stiff and doesn't grab traction like the Convex. Yes the track is lighter, but that doesn't necessarily translate to better backcountry performance. Im not sure what kind of special tree riding this statement comes from but we ride trees all day long and I have never been passed by a Timbersled climbing or in the trees but that is just my experience. I would need more info or if someone wants to bring their TS to one of our demos we can do a little shootout. I'm not sure what the metrics of success are but I bet I can climb faster if track lengths are the same, in fact our newest rider Aaron Sterck just bested the Timbersled guys over the top of the mountain by about 50 yards a couple weekends ago, he straight lined the Jackson Hole climb while the TS riders where going back and forth. This was on a 16 kit that was bone stock and this was his second ride on a snowbike ever, once again showing that if you ride it like a bike the performance is better.

That is all I have for now, let me know if you have specific questions and we are working hard at the shop right now to get the 2017 updates video out as well as a comparison (mostly hard specs) of us the TS kit.

Sorry if the above has typos, I typed quick and just briefly proof read everything.

G
Nov 15, 2015
Fargo
Gonna be honest here. Just the fact we are getting these quick responses and info from you guys is reason enough for me to buy. Good job and thanks you are doing a great job
Gary

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
Everyone likes their brand best, and all others are a POS. Same with sleds. Same with Ford vs. Chevy.

Just like cars, trucks, sleds, vacuum cleaners - every individual will like something different than their neighbor. That's why there are choices. So everybody can get what works best for them.

Coming from a MX background, I feel that the Moto Trax kit feels most "intuitive" to me. I'm also a smaller (5'9" 165#) fella that likes to stand up and ride the bike like Johnny O' told me to.

The fact that the founders and developers of Moto Trax are on here, representing their product and responding to their customers and competitors shows me that they are #1 committed to giving us what we want, and #2 willing to put their money where their mouth is. Each time someone makes an accusation, founded or not, from personal experience or not, they offer to do a demo ride - not just bash the other kits.

Moto Trax... you guys have earned my business. See you Sunday in Burke. Let's rip!!

Enjoy.

B
Dec 17, 2015
Well, it might seem silly but it's mostly aesthetic. I've worked with carbon many years, and as such I'm repulsed by carbon in many uses. I also find the shape they created for the tunnel to be very unpleasing to the eye, and despite being able to repair carbon, I'm a welder and doing repairs and mods on metal frames is much more easy and appealing to me. I also find the clear drive cover to be pretentious, and it's also considerably more expensive. I'm not paying extra for carbon, that's just me.

Finally, from a theory point of view, it would seem that yeti is designed for the snow they get, lots and lots, and I'm pulled toward a more local supplier simply due to the fact that since I don't know jack that ,aye someone in Idaho would make a kit that works in our conditions somewhat better. This may be totally off base, but I'm all alone over here. Being honest.

Can you elaborate on "completely destroys"?

I have a timbersled and a yeti and I think your evaluation is pretty reasonable. If you don't have access to huge powder on a regular basis it may be better to get the timbersled, especially with access to the local suppliers and the lower price. The yeti does not "completely destroy" the timbersled, but for the deep powder riding I have in areas I ride it is definitely my weapon of choice and will go places the timbersled cannot follow. In the less ideal snow conditions (wet, crusty, windblown), the timbersled does quite well, sometimes better than the yeti.

I don't even know anyone up here in Canada that has ridden a mototrax so it would be nice to have a demo up here for sure.

Last edited:
N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Gonna be honest here. Just the fact we are getting these quick responses and info from you guys is reason enough for me to buy. Good job and thanks you are doing a great job
Gary

I absolutely agree. When I cold called them the first person that answered was super nice, and patient, and spent a long time talking through everything. That, combined with a two year warranty, and the thoughtful and active participation here makes me lean even harder toward them. I agree people tend to like what they got, but since I don't got anything, I have no dog in the fight. I just want to know what will be the best thing for me and then cost and support are also considerations. I'm not rich so I can't afford to buy and try a bunch of stuff every year. But this snow bike stuff looks like something only an insane person would pass on!

M

MFJ

Jan 14, 2016
Everyone likes their brand best, and all others are a POS. Same with sleds. Same with Ford vs. Chevy.

Just like cars, trucks, sleds, vacuum cleaners - every individual will like something different than their neighbor. That's why there are choices. So everybody can get what works best for them.

Coming from a MX background, I feel that the Moto Trax kit feels most "intuitive" to me. I'm also a smaller (5'9" 165#) fella that likes to stand up and ride the bike like Johnny O' told me to.

The fact that the founders and developers of Moto Trax are on here, representing their product and responding to their customers and competitors shows me that they are #1 committed to giving us what we want, and #2 willing to put their money where their mouth is. Each time someone makes an accusation, founded or not, from personal experience or not, they offer to do a demo ride - not just bash the other kits.

Moto Trax... you guys have earned my business. See you Sunday in Burke. Let's rip!!

Enjoy.

+1 very well said

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
I appreciate the reviews as I am also interested in options to timbersled, in particular the Mototrax. I rode the 16 mototrax kit in west Yellowstone but conditions were far from varied or optimal, and it was a short ride. I did feel it was easier to lean when needed than my 16 st ts.

Moto4life, your comment about working with the customers is a big plus and one of the reasons I liked ts before Polaris. What has significant impact on what kit I buy next is whether or not they will ship parts or warranty items directly to me. TS's no drop ship policy and that pos chain they put on the 16 cost me two days of riding while I sat in a motel 1400 miles from home. If they would have mailed the replacement chain to me when I called it would have been on my bike before I left on the trip. Customer service from my dealer is excellent, TS not so much.

I'm looking forward to the outcome of the additional competition these new options generate. Keep the ride reviews coming. Thanks

D

dieselpower

Dec 12, 2008
Bellingham, Wa
Well, it might seem silly but it's mostly aesthetic. I've worked with carbon many years, and as such I'm repulsed by carbon in many uses. I also find the shape they created for the tunnel to be very unpleasing to the eye, and despite being able to repair carbon, I'm a welder and doing repairs and mods on metal frames is much more easy and appealing to me. I also find the clear drive cover to be pretentious, and it's also considerably more expensive. I'm not paying extra for carbon, that's just me.

Finally, from a theory point of view, it would seem that yeti is designed for the snow they get, lots and lots, and I'm pulled toward a more local supplier simply due to the fact that since I don't know jack that ,aye someone in Idaho would make a kit that works in our conditions somewhat better. This may be totally off base, but I'm all alone over here. Being honest.

Can you elaborate on "completely destroys"?

Off trail in good pow has been covered. On trail close to freezing the handling and learning curve is drastically improved. You can run flat out 5th gear dragging bars on your turns.

The question is in the mank PNW Cascade concrete Pow thats often bottomless and imo this is where the yeti track, light weight and belt drive really shine. Moving that heavy snow and clearing the tunnel.

Where the yeti loses is the spring riding where its not significantly above freezing or after its refrozen. The track just isn't stiff enough in those conditions.

I have not ridden a mototrax but I'm curious although I'm not a fan of the skid lean in the XM's so who knows.

G
Nov 15, 2015
Fargo
If I can get enough saved to buy, my only concern is if the mototrax will hold up to 120hp. If not I'll have to buy a smaller bike lol

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Here's how every thread on here goes:

1) someone asks a question

2) The usual few timbersled guys pipe up and say TS is the best and anyone who doesnt think so is an R-tard.

3) Then a few of the other usual guys pipe up and argue

4) useless posts here.

5) Around here is when the one snowhawk guy chimes in randomly with a "guys, snowhawk is really the best and had this figured out 15 years ago and blah blah"

6) Most Fellas ignore snowhawk guy. Maybe one person gets sucked in and replies to him.

7) Everything calms down and moves on.

Premium Features