• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.
C
Mar 2, 2011
Saskatchewan
Hello, just have a couple questions.

I am looking into a PAR Head and HPS can combo? I ride at around 2000ft but do mountain trips anywhere from 6000ft-10000ft and want to change from the 12.5:1 domes to 13.1:1 domes for mountain trips, but i am wondering is it would be worth the hassle? Also wondering if this would require a fuel controller? (I would like to avoid a controller) Is there any other mods that would be more suitable for what i am looking for?

Also, with that i'm going to need to get some weights and i was looking into MDS and am just looking for an opinion on them?

Thanks,
Coleniuk

K

kovs

Nov 29, 2007
saskatchewan
IMHO not worth changing domes for the little bit of difference just run the 12.5:1 you will still have the performance benefit of the par head.
dont need a controller for the head and hps combo.

cant tell you anything about mds weights yet...well other than guy is awesome to deal with and knows his product

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
I ran the HPS can with 12.5 and 13.6 last year...not that big of a deal to change them IMO.

5000-10000 13.6 domes
3000-6000 13.1 domes
0-4000 12.5 domes

13.6 ran excellent at altitude!
12.5 ran great in the 2-3k range.

But I had some trouble running either dome in the 5-7k range....just couldnt get full power.....every so often if I went above 7k- perfect.

12.5 should have ran great in the 5-7 range ....called PAR and he said it was the TPS (I think that what its called? Throttle Position Sensor?) ....never got around to messing with that....I was pretty frustrated and just threw the stock head back on for the rest of the trip.

Not knocking the product...and maybe the TPS would have been an easy fix.....just sharing my experience.

Cascade Addiction

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
WA Cascades
They flat RIP

On the TPS sensor, this is way overlooked on the pro. If it is out even a little it is not that big of a deal with stock, but very pronounced effects with a mod, especially a turbo. Get it checked by your dealer. As far as the head, if you run 12.5 domes and go to altititude you won't notice much of a differance unless you have run the 13.6 at altitude, you don't make more hp but you definately keep more of your rated hp at altitiude with the 13.6, if that makes sense. The MDS weights flat rip, nothing works like these in my opinion. You'll need to adjust your weight at altitude but it is super easy, you can't go wrong with this head/weight setup, if you do this think about changing your primary spring to a blk/grn polaris spring, it's a 120/340 and gives you better smoother engagement. Steve and Brad are two of the best in the business to work with and you will love the results. Best of luck to you!!

C
Mar 2, 2011
Saskatchewan
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like illing be trying out the MDS weights. So there will not be any issues unloading at say 2-3k feet with the 13.6 domes in and riding up to altitude? How long does it take to swap out domes?:der:

Cascade Addiction

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
WA Cascades
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like illing be trying out the MDS weights. So there will not be any issues unloading at say 2-3k feet with the 13.6 domes in and riding up to altitude? How long does it take to swap out domes?:der:
If your unloading that low with 13.6 domes in you will want to run probably a couple gals of race gas or av gas, run your ethanol plug to retard the timing even more and take it easy on the throttle till you get to altitude, that's pretty low (2K) for the 13.6 domes. If you know what your doing you can probably switch out domes in a hour or so.

Premium Features