• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is there are solution to greed and corruption in govt?

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Is there a solution to greed and corruption in govt?

Anyone got any solutions? The only solution I see is to make it smaller and reduce the role of govt.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
If there was a solution it would be implemented everywhere. I think its one of humanities biggest problems to be honest. If we had less greedy/selfish/corrupt government there wouldn't be war, hunger, or terrorism.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Ruffy, you seem to have really changed your tune lately....from supporting Obama and his plans for bigger gov. to supporting Ron Paul and smaller govt. nice. :face-icon-small-hap

As for the corruption....just the usual stuff that has been mentioned for decades....get rid of lobbyists, limit or eliminate campaign donations, limit terms.
The type of person who has any desire to run for a high office is another thing....seems there has to be some sort of personality disorder to actually WANT to be be President or a congressman. Spend literally half a billion dollars to get a $200K/yr job that is the most stressful on the planet with people wanting to kill you and ridicule your every word?? What posesses a person to want that life?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
simple..pass a constitutional amendment that says any private citizen who can provide reliable proof of any form of fraud can apply for and receive(upon said proof being provided) a permit that allows him to shoot said corrupt govt. employee...end of all our issues.............cheap, effective and our govt. would shape right up...politicians would really have to think hard if they wanted to be a politician..campaign promises would mean something.............heck why stop there..how about all the bussinesses that do contract work for the gov as well?

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
simple..pass a constitutional amendment that says any private citizen who can provide reliable proof of any form of fraud can apply for and receive(upon said proof being provided) a permit that allows him to shoot said corrupt govt. employee...end of all our issues.............cheap, effective and our govt. would shape right up...politicians would really have to think hard if they wanted to be a politician..campaign promises would mean something.............heck why stop there..how about all the bussinesses that do contract work for the gov as well?

Who controls the permit? lol

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Ruffy, you seem to have really changed your tune lately....from supporting Obama and his plans for bigger gov. to supporting Ron Paul and smaller govt. nice. :face-icon-small-hap
Always down with Ron Paul. Though I am still for single payer health care and taxes on carbon & energy imports.

As for the corruption....just the usual stuff that has been mentioned for decades....get rid of lobbyists, limit or eliminate campaign donations, limit terms.
You can never get rid of lobbyists. Only put it back into the shadows. Term limits doesn't do much. California had them, didn't change much. Campaign donations, possibly.

The type of person who has any desire to run for a high office is another thing....seems there has to be some sort of personality disorder to actually WANT to be be President or a congressman. Spend literally half a billion dollars to get a $200K/yr job that is the most stressful on the planet with people wanting to kill you and ridicule your every word?? What posesses a person to want that life?
Very good point. Not sure how to solve that.. maybe by the public actually respecting those in office?

TURBOMAN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Morgan, Utah
www.bigskyx.com
I did not hear about California trying that. I still believe term limits need to be in place. After many years they learn the ropes and what they can get away with. Then we as a people threaten to boot them out of office and they say you dont want to do that, the state will loose me on this panel that I am chairman of. The sad part is the state will probably loose the benefit. Then instead of the people voting out the person they panick and vote them back into office. This keeps the problem going on and on. If we had term limits you would not have Orin Hatches with so much power that we are scared to elect someone else.

You serve 2 terms and just when you start to believe you are a king you get to come back to real life or something like that.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Who controls the permit? lol
how about a board of random taxpaying middle class...maybe selected from tax returns..must earn no less then 30 grand or more then 100 grand to be on it, mandatory work lets you off to serve, gov pays your normal 40 hr paycheck for the 2 weeks you serve...all evidence is presented from both sides...majority wins....

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I did not hear about California trying that. I still believe term limits need to be in place. After many years they learn the ropes and what they can get away with. Then we as a people threaten to boot them out of office and they say you dont want to do that, the state will loose me on this panel that I am chairman of. The sad part is the state will probably loose the benefit. Then instead of the people voting out the person they panick and vote them back into office. This keeps the problem going on and on. If we had term limits you would not have Orin Hatches with so much power that we are scared to elect someone else.

You serve 2 terms and just when you start to believe you are a king you get to come back to real life or something like that.

California and now I think Arizona.

Here are some thing to listen to / read
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5451096

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/05/137627838/whats-wrong-with-congress-and-how-to-fix-it

http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/rb/RB_1104BCRB.pdf

Looks like term limits don't do anything but make the public feel good..

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
You have to be able to keep Wall Street from filling the campaigns pockets with endless cash. So Campaign contributions stop. We then use tax money to fund campaigns. This will help get rid of those idiotic commercials and real people can then run and not puppets for Corporations.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Term limits don't work. People have to vote for the new blood to keep these morons on their toes and working for the people.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
You have to be able to keep Wall Street from filling the campaigns pockets with endless cash. So Campaign contributions stop. We then use tax money to fund campaigns. This will help get rid of those idiotic commercials and real people can then run and not puppets for Corporations.
I don't think it would ever be possible to keep Wall Street or any money for that matter out of campaigns. The big question is how do we get people to actually care about voting?

Seems that people lately only vote for issues like abortion, gay marriage, and gun rights. No one seems to care about the massive debt we have...

Premium Features