• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Introducing - [ IceAge Pro-Motion ] - Pivoting Suspension Upgrade

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Yup, I wonder the same thing. When the snow is light and fluffy, I doubt there's ANY discernible difference in whether the track can pivot or not, due to the very forgiving nature of the soft powder. But, on hardback, where you've got some solid base for the track to push on, does pivoting allow it to help you, or does the loss of rigidity between rider and track creat other problems? I've not ridden an XM with the TMotion, so I cannot speak on experience. With everything going toward a more rigid chassis to increase the handling, why would you want to put a big sponge in the equation?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
3* isn't much movement. Maybe it's enough to make a difference, maybe not. I'd like to understand how with the front arms being mounted in the tunnel how the rear of the skid is going to flex. I'm all for a new product and this is great, price is right but personally not sold on the concept of it yet. Hopefully it works as advertised as we'll all benefit from it.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Like GBP said, T-Motion did amazing things to the XP. I know a lot of you don't like how the XM handles, but it is night and day better than the XP, and I would attribute most of that to the T-Motion.

I also don't think that t-motion makes the XM feel sloppy at all, the XP chassis is sloppy and either wants to point straight up hill on a sidehill or lay back down, and the t-motion helped out by making it want to hold a nice line.. to a point. Regardless I think that this would be a nice upgrade to a Pro for the price. I am still not sure how the rear pivoting works with the front of the skid still being stationary, but it must work beings there have been zero issues with it on the XM.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
How can you "assume" it feels sloppy? I feel good sidehilling my Pro but I'm intrigued and would give it a shot. I also like that they came up with something that wasn't $2500 like so many others. I'd like to try it out. If I don't like it, I'm not out a ton of money. Sweet negativity though.

In this case, I wasn't assuming. I actually rode the XM with t-motion on the same day, same snow, same conditions etc. The Doo was easier to rock back and forth on while sitting still or moving along on a relatively flat surface, but once i got into some "real" riding and sidehilling etc, it felt "sloppy" to me. I would ride it for a few minutes, then back on the Pro and take a line a few feet from where i had just taken the XM to get what i felt was an honest comparison between the two. The Pro really does hold a more solid and predictable line than the Doo . . no question about it.

Like i said earlier, one could get used to it if more time was spent riding it, but i would definitely NOT want my Pro to have the handling characteristics of the XM. And no way i would pay to intentionally "mod" my sled to handle the way the XM did.

Just my opinion after actually riding the XM. Cheers!

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
Food for thought regarding the "sloppy" feel of the xm with t-motion vs the Pro-Motion.

Ski-doo pivots approx 6" above the track. That 2* of movement allows the rails and track to wander side to side slightly creating the sloppy feel some describe. The rails and track are sort of wandering under the sled.

With our setup, it pivots directly between the rails and only 1" above the track, this keeps the movement almost totally constrained to pivoting, and not allowing the skid to deflect side to side maintaining a more planted feel while still reaping the rewards of the pivoting skid.

Also, it does take some time to get used to the pivot regardless of what sled it is on. Our first few test rides on it felt a little strange, but once you learn to work with it, it all comes natural. Im sure you all remember your first ride on a pro, I bet you flopped it on the side as it was so easy. That doesn't mean it is bad, just takes a second to learn a new setup.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
In this case, I wasn't assuming. I actually rode the XM with t-motion on the same day, same snow, same conditions etc. The Doo was easier to rock back and forth on while sitting still or moving along on a relatively flat surface, but once i got into some "real" riding and sidehilling etc, it felt "sloppy" to me. I would ride it for a few minutes, then back on the Pro and take a line a few feet from where i had just taken the XM to get what i felt was an honest comparison between the two. The Pro really does hold a more solid and predictable line than the Doo . . no question about it.

Like i said earlier, one could get used to it if more time was spent riding it, but i would definitely NOT want my Pro to have the handling characteristics of the XM. And no way i would pay to intentionally "mod" my sled to handle the way the XM did.

Just my opinion after actually riding the XM. Cheers!

My comment about the "assumption" is that you are guessing that the Pro will act the way your test ride on the Doo did. Very different sleds. I'm just saying that it would be interesting to see what the Pro does with this change. I would put it on and give it a go just to see. I kinda doubt this is for me as I have ridden Pro's since the first year and seem to be comfortable on them.

P

Peevo

Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
What I think mess up the sidehill on the xm is the track. The flex edge seem to fold over and slide sideways in the snow. Until recently I had both a pro and an xm so I guess I'm qualified to at least have an opinion.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
My comment about the "assumption" is that you are guessing that the Pro will act the way your test ride on the Doo did. Very different sleds. I'm just saying that it would be interesting to see what the Pro does with this change. I would put it on and give it a go just to see. I kinda doubt this is for me as I have ridden Pro's since the first year and seem to be comfortable on them.

I was thinkning the same thing. Any Doo I rode before a T-motion always wanted to right itself and plant both skis in comparison to a Pro.

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
To get on the pre-order list

email nick@iceagemfg.com with the following information and you will get the first ones to roll off the line.

Name
Phone #
Email
model (rmk,proclimb,viper)
Color, RMK is available in natural black or red, Cat is natural black green and yami natural black or blue.

Thanks!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

img_logo.png

Product Description
New for the 2014/15 snow season is the IceAge Pro-Motion.

This is a bolt on drop in rear scissor arm replacement that allows the rear suspension (aka "skid") to pivot.

Not for use with aftermarket suspensios. Only works on OEM skids.

AVAILABILITY:

***Units are in production, and will be available for the mountain snowmobile shows starting early October. To preorder a kit, email nick@iceagemfg.com with the following info, Name, Number, make of sled, color desired. Pre ordered kits will be shipped before any others***
NOTE: We will not charge your credit card until your unit ships.​

*Function*

3* of flex in both directions(50% more then T-Motion)
Get sled on edge easier
Reduced effort to sidehill
Cut through cross rutted hills smoother
True bolt on, no cutting, modifying etc
Comes complete with all hardware for easy install
15-30 minute install time with no need for skid removal

*Application*

Natural aluminum ($295) and black, red, blue and green anodized models will be available ($335)
2011-2015 Polaris RMK 155-174"
2012-2015 Arctic cat proclimb 141-174"
2014-2015 Yamah Viper 141-174"

*Fitament*

Will work with any stock or upgraded shock packages in the OEM skid
Fits standard-RMK, PRO-RMK, and assault (155"+)
Fits M, HCR, LE, Etc
Fits with stock, or IceAge Rails
Not compatable with Skinz A.R.C.
Can be used with Zbroz K.I.S.S. coupling blocks
Please contact us if you have any accesory you are concerned with it interfering with.

We know that durability is key, so we made sure this part could take a beating. We start with two blocks of 6061-T6 Aluminum and mill the 2 peice body. We then head the lathe and turn down the two 7075-T6 Aluminum shafts for the kit to pivot and ride on. We then slide in the spherical bearing and assemble the kit. This kit not only looks good but is absolutely tough as nails.

Many riders complain about the "wandering" or "loose" feel the T-motion has. We chose to relocate the pivot portion to the lower pivot shaft to help aleviate this as much as possible. Now instead of the rails rocking side to side as they pivot, our kit allows the rails just to rotate. This helps maintain a more planted feel while still reaping the rewards of the flexable rear suspension. This also allowed us to add slightly more pivot while keeping the track properly aligned in the tunnel.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Did I miss something?

It appears the kit only swaps out the rear arm to allow movement.

What happens on the front arm?

Either the tunnel twists or the rails twist. Only two ways you can get that kind of movement without both Front and Rear arms having a pivot point.

From my short track racing experience; neither the tunnel nor the rails will twist if assembled correctly. The only way to twist the rails like this needs, is leave the fasteners loose, and that is a disaster waiting to happen. As well as inducing pre-mature failure of all components. With the longer mountain suspensions; there may be enough less rigidity to accommodate this much flex without leaving things loose. Time will tell.

I wish them luck with the release.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
I watched it work at hay days. Rails are what move. Biggest downfall I see is it puts a twist on your rear track shock, which puts a twisting pressure were you mount it towards the front. Needs some form of a bearing or heim joint to replace the shock bushings.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Mike, did you do any testing with Camo 2.5 or 3 inch tracks or just stock track?

And will the Silver color of the white '13 LE's be an option?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Mike, did you do any testing with Camo 2.5 or 3 inch tracks or just stock track?

And will the Silver color of the white '13 LE's be an option?

Wondering the same thing with regard to the 3 inch track????

Premium Features