• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Im bored. What do you pack for lunch on the mountain?

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
Yep. The biggest problem is keeping the beer from freezing on cold days.

You gotta use your tunnel bag. Stuff it full of snow and the cooler will keep the beer from freezing haha. You just gotta replace the snow every stop after it melts out from the heat. My buddy has a mtn addiction tunnel bag. The large one holds an 18 pack :)

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
You gotta use your tunnel bag. Stuff it full of snow and the cooler will keep the beer from freezing haha. You just gotta replace the snow every stop after it melts out from the heat. My buddy has a mtn addiction tunnel bag. The large one holds an 18 pack :)

Damn, I've exploded every canned beverage I've ever put in a tunnel bag....even when they're padded, in socks, etc. Just can't have nice things I guess lol

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
Haha. Well, I will say that my buddy that carries them isn't the most extreme rider in the group. He is more of a cheerleader with a sled hahaha

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Usually trail mix, beef jerky, corn nuts, a ton of water, a 5 hour energy, a sandwich of some kind.

The one place we stay provides a sandwich, thermos of soup and a bag of two homemade cookies.

I have a muff pot, made hot dogs in it once (yes once). Was great, warmed up buns on my pipe, may attempt to use it more this year.

Once in a while we had crackers, cheese, and oysters in the cabin. Super good.

I attempted to have a hydrobak in my avypack, the hose freezes up and the extra 2 liters of water in there is too heavy. Rather have 4 500 ml bottles in the underseat bag.

#canadastrong

wstev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
anything but redbull, redbull is outlawed on me and my sled after spending half the night cleaning my backpack, spare clothing and spare riding gear and everything else that was inside my pack when 2 cans of redbull mysteriously developed a leak and...well, pissed me off.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Slim Fast. Durable bottles. Very easy to pack. Gives u protein and lots of nutrients, and fluids.

Can leave gloves on which is great on those really windy or cold days.

I usually take 3 bottles. 2 for lunch and 1 spare if needed.

Stores well, good for months.

If there is a similar product out there which provides more nutrients I haven't found it.

I also take a few cereal bars, peanuts and raisins.

I believe John Wayne said this in one of his movies - slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go!

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I usually cook something up the night before then reheat it in my muffpot when riding. Hamburgers, pasta and meatballs, shrimp in garlic butter,smokies,steak,spring rolls,ribs,ginger beef or chicken,
Also 3-4 bottles of water a Gatorade some chocolate bars
I spent most of the night on the mountain once and only had a chocolate bar to eat in 12 hours.
Now I always bring enough for an overnighter.

kchester

Lifetime Membership
Feb 29, 2012
Utah
www.ark-ins.com
I usually bring with me in a tunnel bag.

Jerky
Trail Mix- Costco brand
Water
Gatorade or powerade (32oz)
Fruit-oranges ect.
Mountain House Backpacking meals.
Jetboil

The Freeze dried meals don't weigh anything and can be re hydrated and eaten in about 5 minutes.

I always bring a Jetboil with me because they can boil water in less than a minute and if I have an emergency we can cook extra food with it. I have had a situation or two when people get hypothermia and by using a the jetboil and the mountain house bags I can make a hot water pack they can put inside there coat to get warmed up quickly while we are building a fire.

Like everyone else here says, nothing beats a hot meal out in the boondocks.

turbo800rmk

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2010
Mandan North Dakota
My favorite is hot pockets in my muffpot. Ham and cheese! Mmmmmm. Nothing beats a hot lunch! 20-30 minutes on that sucker and ready to eat!!! I also always carry a military MRE in my tunnel bag in the case of emergency or overnighter, The MRE has a lot to offer in a lightweight easy to use way

Premium Features