• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Im bored. What do you pack for lunch on the mountain?

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
I explained all the places cliff gives cash to to my local gas station owner who was stocking them . he quit stocking them. guess it helps he owns 3 sleds though.
I don't make my own bars but my bud makes his own special butter then makes desert bars for our trips :face-icon-small-win really helps pass the time on those 19 hr drives and avoids all that uncomfortable explaining of the skunky smell in the truck when pulled over for speeding

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
Mountain food & snacks

As for me I pack.....

Light beer, beer, ice beer, malted beer, flavored beer, vodka, whiskey, Jaegermeister, blackberry brandy, baileys, peppermint schnapps, rum, gin, grain alcohol, coffee port & APPLE PIE MOONSHINE!!!
I think that about covers it :) .... & some stoners that b*tch about not riding enough cause they were TOOOOOO stoned man!

But normally eat before I get unloaded. 5-20oz. waters 1-32oz Gatorade & I steal my kids fruit snacks!

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Nothin wrong with nothing along but sometimes you godda eat. That's where us Canucks might have an advantage. We get survival ed. from grade 1 to 6. It's a need with all the wilderness up here. Winter is a bit more advanced but there is food everywhere up here. It's free too!

I've had to re-fuel the body while out sleddin a couple of times and was glad of the early ed. I think it was a grade 2 field trip that the teach showed us how Chickadees huddle together in the lower branches when cold. Usually 4 or 6. Grab em, skin em, and gulp em (closer to chicken than you might think).
Warmer days bring out the squirrels. You need grade 3 and 4 hunting technique here (all ways a stick to sharpen around and the rock throwing competitions you get from grade 2 on can come in handy). Skin em, split em, and enjoy. I like patting them with pine nuts for added flavour (something you might try). Chances are this is a big enough meal you will forget about your supper when you get home.
A very refreshing, energy boosting drink is grab some lichen off a rock face, spread out your tinfoil ( a grade 2 class teaches you about keeping tinfoil, little knife and matches in your pocket at all times after you walk out the door to school) onto your pipe. lay in the lichen and add snow until it stops melting. Voila, fortified ice tea.

Thought I'd pass on some Canadian "general info". All the cabins we have up here are mostly for international visitors. If we are in them it is just to be hospitable not because we need them.
Hope you are having a great summer.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
2 cans of Kodiak
5-8 (or more; as many as I can fit, 20oz waters)
On spring ride's I freeze half of them. Yes I sweat...bigtime.
4 Pizza Pockets (breakfast bacon and egg and meatball)
2 egg rolls
2 bags of lil' smokies
Hopefully leftover pizza...if not more of the above...
10-15 various candy bars
10 Percocet, 10 Advil, 10 Tylenol. Luckily, they are 5-6 years old.
12 lbs. of tools (chopper service is triple of BC)
Soup can and sock.
Tampon for when someone hurts their vagina

And depending on which group I'm riding with....

12 pack of Rainier...

Must be that former commercial fisherman in me of extreme preparation

I'm considering adding a 2nd muffpot this year.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
2 cans of Kodiak

2 egg rolls

2 bags of lil' smokies

10-15 various candy bars

Soup can and sock.

Tampon for when someone hurts their vagina

And depending on which group I'm riding with....

12 pack of Rainier...

Must be that former commercial fisherman in me of extreme preparation

I'm considering adding a 2nd muffpot this year.

Mother of god.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Nothin wrong with nothing along but sometimes you godda eat. That's where us Canucks might have an advantage. We get survival ed. from grade 1 to 6. It's a need with all the wilderness up here. Winter is a bit more advanced but there is food everywhere up here. It's free too!

I've had to re-fuel the body while out sleddin a couple of times and was glad of the early ed. I think it was a grade 2 field trip that the teach showed us how Chickadees huddle together in the lower branches when cold. Usually 4 or 6. Grab em, skin em, and gulp em (closer to chicken than you might think).
Warmer days bring out the squirrels. You need grade 3 and 4 hunting technique here (all ways a stick to sharpen around and the rock throwing competitions you get from grade 2 on can come in handy). Skin em, split em, and enjoy. I like patting them with pine nuts for added flavour (something you might try). Chances are this is a big enough meal you will forget about your supper when you get home.
A very refreshing, energy boosting drink is grab some lichen off a rock face, spread out your tinfoil ( a grade 2 class teaches you about keeping tinfoil, little knife and matches in your pocket at all times after you walk out the door to school) onto your pipe. lay in the lichen and add snow until it stops melting. Voila, fortified ice tea.

Thought I'd pass on some Canadian "general info". All the cabins we have up here are mostly for international visitors. If we are in them it is just to be hospitable not because we need them.
Hope you are having a great summer.

:canada: I can tell you're an old timer geo, these courses are now offered to grade 10 in public school for the kids that don't drop out to go lumberjacking or work at BRP. By grade 10 I had learned all of the above and some more advanced techniques such as building a survival shelter from a caribou hide and trapping wolves for wolf and winter berry stew.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
2 cans of Kodiak
2 egg rolls
2 bags of lil' smokies
10-15 various candy bars
Soup can and sock.
Holy crap dude! Tell us that's just what you "bring".....not that you somehow consume all of that in 1 day?? If so, I am impressed!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I look at food as fuel for me...

I choose things that I can digest well, that give me engergy and don't weigh/bog me down. No Booze, no "energy drinks", no fatty things that take all day to digest.

Nuts, hard boiled egg whites, homeade "carbo bars", usually a homade veggie/fruit juice....Stuff to graze on all day and not need a big meal.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I look at food as fuel for me...

I choose things that I can digest well, that give me engergy and don't weigh/bog me down. No Booze, no "energy drinks", no fatty things that take all day to digest.

Nuts, hard boiled egg whites, homeade "carbo bars", usually a homade veggie/fruit juice....Stuff to graze on all day and not need a big meal.

I digest and metabolize BEER very well.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
That was a great post, funny, even for RMK8000 with the disporportional quantity of ugly women in his imeadiate geographic area. And I know what he means, an Alaska "10" is a lower 48 "2".

Just being willing starts 'em out at an automatic 6.

What's that old saying about Valdez? Oh, yeah, I remember now...

"In Valdez you don't lose your girl, you just lose your turn"

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Dollar store mini candy bars. 5 for a buck. I will pack 25 or so of them and share them with everyone else that us riding over the course of the day. Eat a big breakfast on the way to the trailhead, and a big dinner at the end of the day. But usually just snacks all day long

2u6amepe.jpg

uny6u7yv.jpg

ubaqy5ad.jpg

Last edited:
D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Dollar store mini candy bars. 5 for a buck. I will pack 25 or so of them and share them with everyone else that us riding over the course of the day. Eat a big breakfast on the way to the trailhead, and a big dinner at the end of the day. But usually just snacks all day long

2u6amepe.jpg

uny6u7yv.jpg

ubaqy5ad.jpg

I have ridden a few times on Halloween. My this year will be one of those years.

DPG

D
Feb 5, 2011
jalepeno poppers and cheese burgers by TGIF. I get them in the freezer section at Walmart. Fill up my muff pot and take enough extra to fill it again to share and to eat on the ride home. Nothing better than hot tasty food on a long ride.

Premium Features