• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I will never ride without a tether again

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Unfortunately the Teth Air doesn't help you if you don't get more than a couple feet away from the sled. A conventional tether will stop the motor if you go over the bars. Teth Air won't unless you are far enough away.

I've been using mine all season.

Once I got the antennae cut down to a really short length, mine works really well.

I can walk around my back bumper really quickly without the sled shutting off. But if I go slow, it shuts off.
I can't get around the front bumper and keep the sled running hardly ever at all...unless I run.

I've had my sled shut off a couple times going down the trail or booning through the trees 3 or 4 times this year. Hasn't done it in over a month though. The only thing I think that I have been doing different is having the tether transmitter on my wrist instead of up by my elbow. That seems to have taken care of it.

My buddy, however, has problems. His shuts off quite often. Almost every trip out.
The last ride, it shut off as he was turning out of a climb. He got lucky and didn't roll his sled and he got it pointed downhill again.
He began to coast downhill.
We saw his headlight come on about the 3rd or 4th pull. Not sure what his deal is.
Hehas his antennae a bit longer than mine and the remaining pink rubber cover is still there.
He got tired of it and unhooked it halfway through that day.

Not sure if he's called in to get tech support or not.
It's a 13 Pro RMK with a brand new system which has had the the engine reverse update thing done in December.

Given my engine stopping and his engine stopping....(I think there's an easy solution to that), I'd buy another Teth-air over a tether any day.

--SS

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Oh man! That guy is lucky his buddy got to him quick. Could have ripped his head off. I am 100% using my tether, I don't want to get maimed or maim anyone else. Least that can happen is a torn up sled. Buddies Turbo ghost rode itself into a tree this year and totaled it. He NEVER wore a tether before but now has seen the light.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Everytime I read one of these damn threads I remember that I need one, and then I always forget to go buy the damn thing! Next year it's gotta happen.

I hate to be "that guy," but it really really should be standard equipment. Manufacturers are insane to be still producing sleds without. Sooner or later someone will take them to the cleaners with a lawsuit from getting mangled by a stuck throttle sled.... particularly since Scud DOES include as standard equip.

S
on another note: the last time I didn't clip the cord to me as soon as I got outa the truck & unload was when I fired up my old ladies 700 summit... wouldn't ya know it -it fired on the first pull with the throttle frozen half open and dragged me left handed down a logging road till I could hit the kill switch & keep it from shooting over the snowbank into an open river:face-icon-small-blu

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I was 12yrs old on a borrowed '97 Summit. That was the last time I didn't use a tether. Spent a year working that mistake off by sweeping floors, pulling weeds, taking out garbages, and tearing down old campers and trailers.

Since then, it was mandatory to wear em while racing....so it became a habit. Even on sleds without tethers, that's the first thing I'll install. And my experience did nothing but hurt the wallet. I couldn't imagine being in a position where I mangled myself up by not wearing it.

calltrex

Premium Member
Apr 17, 2013
alberta
Waiting for new cat. Tethers one of the things on my list when I pick it up

Should be standard Like jetskis

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
Can someone dig up the thread about the guy who got his arm tangled last year? As I recall it was called "a bad end to a great day" or something along those lines. It was truly a game changer for a few in my group. It should be read by everyone you know!

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
Yep, that's the one. Myself and several in our group now wear them because of this write up. Thanks for sharing it again. Id also like to hear an update on your buddy.

Go through the story. Shawn has updated on the 3rd page. He is doing great. He will be back on the turbo this year. He was on a pro for a while . Took the turbo out and liked it better... We will post some videos.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I will never ride without a tether again.

Yeah - we'll see how long that lasts.... :face-icon-small-win

Just for the record, 2 weeks after the alleged fiasco, we shot this pic of his other sled yesterday.
Note the location of the tether....

BackToDoosTetherMarch32013_zpsb3bd9d5b.jpg

..and just for the record, he did get in a somewhat similar situation as the one at the top of this thread shortly after this pic was taken.

drum.gif

I haven't seen him tether up yet.... :face-icon-small-ton
What a putz.... :tsk:
Maybe next yr?

DSCN0622_zps4a4c172b.jpg

Last edited:

calltrex

Premium Member
Apr 17, 2013
alberta
ive seen a few guys with tethers but there just clipped to handlebars

There to cool to wear them i guess

S
Mar 15, 2014
Iowa
So what do you guys prefer for tethers? Handlebar mount clipped to your wrist? How about the in-dash unit by the key? Clipped to your belt?

I've also seen several different kinds. The button hold down cap, the clip that holds the button up, and even an interrupt tab key.

What's your preference? What stays out of the way? What works best?

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I like to mount mine on the bars as close to the center as possible then clip it to my jacket or glove. In a few cases I have fallen off while clipped to my jacket and it never pulled the tether off,I didnt fall far enough from the sled. if clipped to my glove I can usually grab a hold of the cord and yank it off if for some reason it doesn t come off on it's own.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Not too proud to admit it took a roll-over and a pinned throttle to open my eyes.

Like the OP, I was lucky to escape with nothing more than a wake-up call, but I bought and installed a tether before my next ride.

Tethers are cheap insurance against getting maimed.

S
Sep 22, 2005
Pocatello, Id
Added the teathers, but no beacons?

I have some friends i ride with on occasion, after Shawn lost his arm on top of the chute they bought tethers and put them on all of their machines. We were in the trailer getting dressed and i asked if everyone had their beacons on and were they working. The same guys who just added teathers (who also ride new machines), said we don't wear beacons because we don't ride in avalanche areas. I asked them why they added teathers to their sleds, they said they did it because Shawn lost his arm in his track when his sled did not shut off. So I then asked them, who has to die in an avalanche that you know before you buy a beacon. The next time we rode they all had beacons. I am still amazed at the number of people who ride sleds with teathers but do not wear themn, not to mention the number of people that do not wear beacons or even carry shovels and probes.

Premium Features