• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I had to ride an xp

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
I rode an xp this weekend. I sure don't get it. How come everyone says these are the best sleds? In the deep snow when you let off of the throttle it dives like a lead ball in water. I thought that only happened with the early model four stroke yamaha's. I hit a bump with the front end and thought it was all over. It throw me around like I was on a bull. I have never been so nervous riding a machine in my life. My throttle hand hurt so much after the first couple miles I was trying to think of a way to tie the throttle back to give my hand a rest. The bars are too big of a diameter also. I was actually looking forward to riding it to see what they handled like with the steering post. The steering post on that thing was the least of my worries. Wish I was on my cat at this point. Oh ya they are good on gas because it is to scary to rip on the throttle because you might hit a bump or go into the deep snow. I feel sorry for any body who bought one of these for there wife. I also drove a nytro that was way better than the xp in every way. Drove an Apex with power steering nice for the trail. Obviously the Apex stayed on the trail. Can't wait to ride my new m1100 t next year. I hope the nightmares from riding the doo go away over the summer. Don't rag on me doo guys, these where my observations after riding the doo one full day.

HAHA I don't think a guy from the praries should be taken too seriously when talking about mountain sleds. Clearly the guy could'nt ride a greased stick up a pigs a$$. I have seen 130 pound guys carve, sidehill and stick lines in the trees with eas. I have ridden m's, iq's, revs, xps and I have to say the xp takes more rider input than the rest that is without a doubt. I personally don't dislike that, I can carve a tight nut dragging my shoulder in the snow and the thing does'nt over carve. I found on the m series I had a tough time finding my balance point and overall I found I could do better on a xp. Maybe with some more seat time it would be better, however overall I find the xp to fit me a lot better. Each to there own I guess. If finances permit I will be riding a 163 800 e tec next year. I wish kruchy the best of luck with his m11 turbo. Keep in mind kruchy this sled is rider forward like the xp and has probably around 70 more hp than someone from the praries would need..... so be carefull. That beast should be able to climb every meadow you point it at.:face-icon-small-ton

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
There are two things required to ride an XP:

1. Proper set-up. I know it has been said but I bet 90% of the XP's on the snow aren't right.

2. An open mind to a new riding style. If you try riding it with your feet in the pockets and your arse on the seat, you will lose.

Put 300 miles on one and you will see.

BTW, I never owned a Doo until 2007 so I wouldn't consider myself to be bleeding yellow.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
There are two things required to ride an XP:

1. Proper set-up. I know it has been said but I bet 90% of the XP's on the snow aren't right.

2. An open mind to a new riding style. If you try riding it with your feet in the pockets and your arse on the seat, you will lose.

Put 300 miles on one and you will see.

BTW, I never owned a Doo until 2007 so I wouldn't consider myself to be bleeding yellow.

Reese, what about when you ride standing UP with your feets in the pockets? LOL

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
then why have a foot pockets? Just extra weight. that's why they are so heavy. ;)

Heavy buggers, LOL.

I was actually going to add that foot pockets are only there because we have grow accustomed to them, they are mostly unneccesary.

Poo's new set up looks pretty good. A minimal place to hook your tow when necessary is more than adequate.

Last edited:
P

prairiepowderhead

Sep 1, 2008
Prairie
I ride them all, all four brands and I half to tell you, there are times I love my XP, and there are times I hate it. I lov my M12 most of the time, sometimes I hate it. Its all about the way you ride and the conditions you ride in.

T

tollen77

Feb 19, 2008
A couple things here:

1) I rode with Kruchy that weekend. His M8 cratered a couple weekends before so he borrowed a friend's Renegade - you know, the trail sled with the really skinny skis. I wonder why it porpoised?

2) Krucky was loving the suspension on the trail and raving about how good it was (on the trail) compared to his M8. "I couldn't believe how fast I could go!" were his exact words.

3) An M8 is way more nimble than an XP. Just is. If you ride an XP it takes some getting used to but put a solid days riding in and you'll love it. Same goes for guys who ride an M8 or a Poo. Ride an XP all day and if you're any kind of rider you'll figure out the tricks to making it do what you want.

I'd love to ride them all back to back to back and truly see which is the better sled. I'm really looking forward to trying a Pro Ride and a Pro Climb next season. I'm heading to the hills tomorrow, maybe I'll get a chance early.

Enjoy the bashing boys!

I rode an xp this weekend. I sure don't get it. How come everyone says these are the best sleds? In the deep snow when you let off of the throttle it dives like a lead ball in water. I thought that only happened with the early model four stroke yamaha's. I hit a bump with the front end and thought it was all over. It throw me around like I was on a bull. I have never been so nervous riding a machine in my life. My throttle hand hurt so much after the first couple miles I was trying to think of a way to tie the throttle back to give my hand a rest. The bars are too big of a diameter also. I was actually looking forward to riding it to see what they handled like with the steering post. The steering post on that thing was the least of my worries. Wish I was on my cat at this point. Oh ya they are good on gas because it is to scary to rip on the throttle because you might hit a bump or go into the deep snow. I feel sorry for any body who bought one of these for there wife. I also drove a nytro that was way better than the xp in every way. Drove an Apex with power steering nice for the trail. Obviously the Apex stayed on the trail. Can't wait to ride my new m1100 t next year. I hope the nightmares from riding the doo go away over the summer. Don't rag on me doo guys, these where my observations after riding the doo one full day.

S
Sep 7, 2010

maybe your skills just aren't there yet? keep working at it and practice. you'll get there.

I rode a 2011 p-Tek XP last weekend in 2 feet of fresh pow and absolutely hated it for the first 30 minutes. It felt too tippy and did not handle anything like my M7. The problem was I was trying to ride it like an M.

After taking a break and venting my frustration, I started again slow and got used to its handling characteristics. I began to really enjoy it. The power was obviously way up on a stock M7 and the floatation of the wider track was appealing. The steering post still sucked when counter steering, but I could learn to live with it. It was a dream on the trail also.

(It was a rental to recover my f'*ked Diamond Drive)

If the ProClimb has become more forward-riding like the XP with the same sidehill characteristics and vert. steering of the M than I will be very happy on my 2012 M800SP. (No more Diamand Drive. :high5:)

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
IMHO, XP's and M sleds can't be compared evenly. Completely different chasis leads to completely different handling. XP chasis is very rigid and the M's are sloppy loose. IMO this is why the M sidehills easier, the chasis is more forgiving. Good when sidehilling but not a precise weapon. The XP does require more input but that is rewarded with predictability and precision. I've heard it said that to realize the full benefit of the XP chasis you need to ride very aggressively and its true. Once I figured this out for myself the XP gets more fun every ride. It's a killer chasis. The only reason I'd switch now is if the new cat chasis is just as rigid / predictable as an XP chasis AND proves more flickable. Again ....IMHO.

I guess the Cat engineers agree as the new Cat chasis is basically a Doo chasis with vertical steering. If Cat proves to have successfully combined rigidity, precision, predictability and "flickability" the new Cat Mountain sleds will own!

I'm waiting a yr to test one myself but am sure excited thinking about the possibility of the "perfect" handling mtn sled!

Last edited:
R

River Ratt

Oct 27, 2008
Markerville AB
I agree with it's hard to compare the two sleds against each other, they are so different in every way, I personally don't like the XP in big Powder because it nose dives when you get off the gas, I find this sled really plays you out, in less than two feet of snow I don't mind them, easy to flick around, great hill climbers and great on the wooped out trails getting back to the truck at the end of the day. Biggest down fall is Ski-doo TRA Primary clutch sucks, this is the main reason I left Doo. I have also had a fair bit of time on the M chassis over the years, I love the sled once I get it off the trail up into the Alpine, but by this time I am really pissed off because they ride so bad on the trails, they just bounce and dart all over the place, the Ski's and air shocks suck. So I went a bought a Pro this year, not as smooth as doo on rough trail but still way better than M chasis, Really good in deep snow just like the M, it is very light, it side hills great like an M, but over-all it's not as forgiving as an M, it can be a bit tippy until you get used to it, so I'm thinking the new Cat chassis is going to be alot like riding the new Pro, which is not a bad thing, but it will take some seat time for the guys who have just been riding M's for a lot of years to get used to. IMOP

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
XP steering is fine, owners cranking the bars forward is the problem.

Ride an XP with the bars at or near the same angle as the steering post and you will notice a huge difference.

Wish Cat had some demo's flying around the west, I would love to try one out to see what it's all about.

Premium Features