• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I had to ride an xp

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
I rode an xp this weekend. I sure don't get it. How come everyone says these are the best sleds? In the deep snow when you let off of the throttle it dives like a lead ball in water. I thought that only happened with the early model four stroke yamaha's. I hit a bump with the front end and thought it was all over. It throw me around like I was on a bull. I have never been so nervous riding a machine in my life. My throttle hand hurt so much after the first couple miles I was trying to think of a way to tie the throttle back to give my hand a rest. The bars are too big of a diameter also. I was actually looking forward to riding it to see what they handled like with the steering post. The steering post on that thing was the least of my worries. Wish I was on my cat at this point. Oh ya they are good on gas because it is to scary to rip on the throttle because you might hit a bump or go into the deep snow. I feel sorry for any body who bought one of these for there wife. I also drove a nytro that was way better than the xp in every way. Drove an Apex with power steering nice for the trail. Obviously the Apex stayed on the trail. Can't wait to ride my new m1100 t next year. I hope the nightmares from riding the doo go away over the summer. Don't rag on me doo guys, these where my observations after riding the doo one full day.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Sounds like a poorly setup XP.....and probably a '09 or older?? The '10+ are like comparing a 1M chassis to a M8. After owning them all it's the easiest sled to throw around when setup correctly (IMO).

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Sounds like a poorly setup XP.....and probably a '09 or older?? The '10+ are like comparing a 1M chassis to a M8. After owning them all it's the easiest sled to throw around when setup correctly (IMO).

crazy talk WB.... crazy talk.

One of these days I'll suck up the pain & ride one for more than 10 min so I can actually compare... but good god, it's painful. I even rode an 11 a couple weeks ago, much easier to tip, but still painful to ride.

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
don't tell these xp guys their sleds suck when it comes to handling or they will get all bent out of shape and start talking about dyno sheets and lb/hp ratios.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Set up on the XP is KEY. They are not great out of the box and many people never set them up at all. I hated mine until I properly set up the suspension, riser angle, clutching, ski alignment etc. I still can jump off mine and go to one that is not set up and wonder how it can even be the same chassis. Night and Day difference.

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
Hey, whatever. I love my ill handling 09, bought the wife a 2010 600, she loves it. Sat on the new Cats, knees hit the cowling, didn't like it just sitting on it. Different strokes!!

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
It was a '10 and it sucked. I have driven four different xp's in the last year and funny how not one felt good. Also makes me laugh is that a person can jump on other brands and they feel better. I jumped on a '10 600 RMK and thought it was a fun little sled to play on. I have driven a lot of stuff and the worst experience is on the doo. All of these sleds had been set up differently some with sway bars some with out, suspension set up differently. Is it that big of a deal that I disliked them; I didn't think so. I was not expecting a bunch of Doo guys on the proclimb forum anyway. A wet freestyle is 577 lbs. in the snowest mag., that doesn't sound like very good power to weight to me. Thank goodness there is 4 makes to choose from. I guess doo is just not for me. I liked the comment about the midol by the way. I guess I never needed a pain killer to drive a sled before so I was not prepared.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Have to agree on this one, bought a 600 E-tec for the wife based on her trying a friends wifes Doo 600 and she liked it on the trail and the electric start was a key factor, other than that she could ride my 174 1200 Turbo Cat better off trail. She just hated that she couldn't start it. The lady we bought the sled from was changing to an M8 because she wanted to go further off trail and Amber (Mini) had convinced her of that on one of her courses. I thought that may have been just marketing but after spending some seat time on it myself I can see what she was talking about. I guess I am not a Ski-Doo guy, I liked riding my Nytro better when I had one and she could handle that one better too, BTW my other half is 5' 6" and weighs 120, so not large by any means. Bring on the Cat bashing Doo gooders.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
one thing you can't improve with setup on the xp is how wide it is. not only is the tunnel wider for the 16" track, but it bulges out for the chaincase and brake, making it even wider. i agree that its like straddling a bull.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
xp'n

the xp chassis is a quirky thing, if you bleed yellow you have to ride one and shut up. Last winter we rode in some crappy crusty snow condtions, ski grabbing jerking handful on most any sled. My two die hard quite a big younger than me $7000 added xp piots took trips over the bars.....one scarey at speed. I couldn't watch, too embarrasing for them. We had tried for several years to tune my complaint of that feature out of their XP's with skiis/and different ski position, and different steer ing linkage. Pride was damaged there.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
the xp chassis is a quirky thing, if you bleed yellow you have to ride one and shut up. Last winter we rode in some crappy crusty snow condtions, ski grabbing jerking handful on most any sled. My two die hard quite a big younger than me $7000 added xp piots took trips over the bars.....one scarey at speed. I couldn't watch, too embarrasing for them. We had tried for several years to tune my complaint of that feature out of their XP's with skiis/and different ski position, and different steer ing linkage. Pride was damaged there.

wow....I think I understand but now I have a headache.

;)

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
it's all what your use to ,my wife rides a 09-800-146x and shes 5 feet tall 125 pounds,she's rode revs from 03.5 summit.I've seen her school alot of guys on the hill.like i said the guys call to see if she wants to go to the hills.:decision:And yes She has rode them all just more comfy on XP'S ,but it took some set up.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Tuker... just imagine how much BETTER she could be on a REAL sled though!!!:heh::nod:
I know she's going out with boys this weekend[Forest Power Sports] is good enough to bring up 3 Etecs Thanks Norm,shes pumped.my buddies got a pro Rmk so we will be get seat time on it next.Cat has nothing to try in are area.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I have a much tougher time getting a nice easy sidehill or carve out of an XP than a Rev, M, dragon or Pro. Yes even with the swaybar disconnected. The M's and Pro basically help you countersteer, the XP wants to fight that technique it seems. Not that you can't do it, but it seems to require more muscle.

P

polaris1

Jan 7, 2008
REXBURG IDAHO
xp?

I don't like the brand bashing but the xp is really hard to get used to. I ride with a 08 and 11 doo and its not that they dont keep up or can't go where i go but it takes more effort. I believe that if my friends with doos would switch brands that there would be less rider fatigue and it might even make them a more confident rider. The skidoo is a good sled and maybe even a excellent trail sled butin the back country the pro poo or cat are effortless and just carve and turn back up hill so easy and thedoo does fight you a little bit. The doo has a nasty death wobble when hitting a cross rut or on harder snow condition its a beast. but having said that they have the horse and i have gained some respect for them in the past years so hopefully doo will cahnge up some geometry on the new ones for 13. I think that the new cat will be the one to trade a doo in for. If your not brand loyal than the cat would be a fun choice especiaily if you are good guinea pig. JK. I think that the new cat will probably handle like the old ones but with alot better suspension and look. Im always excited to see how the new one no matter what brand will do.

Premium Features