• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I feel sorry for anyone NOT riding a turbo Yamaha 4 stroke.

Thread Rating
1.00 star(s)

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
anyone got any video of someone doing technical riding with a yamaha turbo? i've never seen it.

If you can't make it to where the turbos play, then you probably never will!:D:beer;
Veedy? You are a bad bad boy!!!:beer;:beer;:eek::D

W

woodies

sssssh! don't tell them the good stuff they get really cranky and whinny and start threads that we're mean!lol to funny i seen the artic cats crying and stomping there feet!!!!

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
ahhh the sound of a tubo spoolin up! i hope to have a boosted sled one of these years....until then im stuck with a 2 smoke. i have ridden 2 boosted 4 strokes and....well lets just say i came home missing both socks and one sleve. they had to chase me down to get their sleds back too.

Luke The Drifter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, you can go buy boost, mountain mod mania, or any other movie featuring these sleds, if you do not think chute climbing is (technical) than you need to go stand at the top of Irmens arm, gibbs Gash, or any other chute in Revy. Its not just holding the throttle wide open on an open faced hill.

Technical yeah in a way but I would like to see an apex or nytro in some tight trees (think Chris Burandt's segments in Slednecks). I've ridden a boosted Apex. Fun for the sheer power factor but I couldn't be bothered to ride one where I go. JMO

V

Veedy

Jan 27, 2004
Revelstoke, BC
www.farwestfilms.com
Technical yeah in a way but I would like to see an apex or nytro in some tight trees (think Chris Burandt's segments in Slednecks). I've ridden a boosted Apex. Fun for the sheer power factor but I couldn't be bothered to ride one where I go. JMO

I can see points on both sides, but usually a person is biased to what they ride. ( fact ).

But ! Generally four stroke sleds:

1. sound better.
2. almost no stink.
3. better fuel economy.
4. more reliable.
5. more miles between maintenance and rebuilds.
6. run much nicer with turbo's than 2 strokes.
7. Do no burn stinky oils to lubricate.
8. don't require recoils or pull start.
9. more environmentally friendly.
10. Are better because I said so, lol.

I got the opportunity to ride an XP a few days ago, and was floored at how lathargic the power was. I flipped the throttle to the bar and expected an explosion of power to come on and break the skis in the air, but all I got was a BRRRaaaaaaaaap that sounded like a tin can strapped to the end of the pipe. I then went to climb some hills and carve some pow and was also disappointed at how slow it climbed, and how hard it was to pull over to carve in the deep. My Nytro carves better, is more predictable, has WAYYY more power, and fits my body like a glove. I will give it that it did feel a lot lighter on the front end when traveling at lower speeds, but give the Nytro more than a quarter throttle and you wont need skis on the front end any more, it's light as a feather !! :beer;

Where's my popcorn ????? :cool:

P
Nov 28, 2007
in a town
you cant compare a turbo nytro to a stock xp. im starting to lean towards getting a turbo nytro one day because it is a lot like riding a rev. but they have there pros and cons dont matter if you got a turbo or not.

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta

You need to ride a well set up Nytro ;) It may not have the raw power of the Apex but it's pretty impressive

G

GayWussy

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 23, 2009
BC
I can see points on both sides, but usually a person is biased to what they ride. ( fact ).

But ! Generally four stroke sleds:

1. sound better.
2. almost no stink.
3. better fuel economy.
4. more reliable.
5. more miles between maintenance and rebuilds.
6. run much nicer with turbo's than 2 strokes.
7. Do no burn stinky oils to lubricate.
8. don't require recoils or pull start.
9. more environmentally friendly.

I got the opportunity to ride an XP a few days ago, and was floored at how lathargic the power was. I flipped the throttle to the bar and expected an explosion of power to come on and break the skis in the air, but all I got was a BRRRaaaaaaaaap that sounded like a tin can strapped to the end of the pipe. I then went to climb some hills and carve some pow and was also disappointed at how slow it climbed, and how hard it was to pull over to carve in the deep. My Nytro carves better, is more predictable, has WAYYY more power, and fits my body like a glove. I will give it that it did feel a lot lighter on the front end when traveling at lower speeds, but give the Nytro more than a quarter throttle and you wont need skis on the front end any more, it's light as a feather !! :beer;

Where's my popcorn ????? :cool:
YES,YES, (FISTPUMP,HIGHFIVE,FISTPUMP). Take heed people, Veedy knows whats going on here. Yamaha's are dope.:cool::D:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
I've been sold ever since I first saw Randy Swenson pull a hill at Yammafest in spring of '03. Made the 2 strokes look like they were almost standing still. And that was only at 6lbs of boost.

F
Aug 5, 2001
Utah
I think a Diamond S ti nytro would be awesome. But for $40k, Ill pass, I get bored too quick and gotta have that new sled smell too often. Stock weight or similar is just too much, it takes the fun out of riding IMO. The M8t at a reliable 10 or 11lbs will climb anything normal people would want to climb. With the small amount of babysitting you have to do to it over the Yamahas, it is WELL worth it for the weight savings. The time you spend riding far outweighs the time you spend wrenching on these new EFI turbos. Yamaha is the leader, they put 4 strokes on the map but Ill wait a little longer for them to get the weight down. As for my Yamaha racer its cool and I can ride it, at 540lbs its not that bad, but Id much rather go boondocking on the m8. And yeah I know its an RX but Ive ridden the others they are heavy pigs too.

Too argue for the other side I will post this:

two stroke sleds:

1. sound better.
2. high oct smells better from a 2 stroke
3. better fuel economy. (My RX1000 guzzles the fuel)
4. more rideable
5. more miles between resting and relaxation
6. with EFI are very simple to turbo.
7. Always have clean oil.
8. don't require heavy recoils or batteries.
9. **** the envirowhackos :D

Last edited:

wheresthesnow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 2, 2008
Kennewick, WA
There are soooo many comebacks to this its tough to decide...LOL
Throw a leg over a boosted Apex and you wont be able to get yours to the shop fast enough.........:)
Your almost there, just one more biiiiggg step - come on you can do it.....LOL

Y

I was going to get it last summer, it took to much of the budget so I did all the other stuff instead. Maybe this summer. I just want to pop wheelies all day.

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
Takes two things to ride a turbo Yamaha well, skill and strength. If you lack either of these stick with a light weight sled.

Chris Burandt would give up absolutely nothing in performance riding a turbo 4 stroke if given some time to get use to it.

Cheers:D

T

turbo nytro

Dec 14, 2008
Alberta
apex in the tree's

Wanna talk smack that apex's suck in the tree's well here you go . don't knock'm till you try them:p ,try one put on some depends & you will never go back:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK3pct4tA5E
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tapex ,alpine front mount,162x16x2.5 c extreme, cr rear,billet m-10,fox floats,je rods,pistons,heavy studs,alpine seat ,NOS, METH, + much more
Tnytro,mcx mid mount, 162x16x2.5 c extreme,cr rear, reflashed box.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2007
Vernon

I think of it like this, A Ferrari makes a pretty poor off road vehicle But......
I still want to drive a Ferrari
doubt any of us would say "Ya, it's cool for goin fast but I'd rather drive my Chevy"
Everyone rides in the tree's, some sled's are better than other's at this but Nytro's dont suck at it, I have a great time carvin around in that stuff
Cheer's:beer;

S
Dec 30, 2008
You guys sound like so single minded.

I own a CR 162 Alpine Tapex with ohlins M10, a BD race gas M8T with EZ Ryde, a stock M8 HCR, and a RMK 7/ w all Zbros shocks and SLP bolt ons.

They are all perfect for specific days, and they all get used for the appropriate conditions.

To say one is the answer to everything is as naive as it gets.

One is the answer to everything....Tapex.

Premium Features