• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

hypothetical

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
all snow is the same all climbs are the same , no rocks or others to be found underneath

both ride the same sled

same set up same gear , down to the underwear

what is ideal rider weight?,, before gear,, and im talking sub 20% bf

A

arcticmat

Nov 23, 2008
Tea SD
Same here. I am 6'2 and 230 now and am really out of shape. When I was around that 205 mark I felt just better all around and could ride all day. I have started to eat different and do some basic stuff like push ups and sit ups when I am on the road for work. I have lost 10 pounds and would like to go another 20. A lot of this has to do with what kind of riding you do also.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
your top athletes in the sled industry are all short and lightweight, but most are incredibly strong. If I had to guess I would say 160 is probably the average weight of guys like burandt, entz, gardiner, turcott, brown, etc...

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
your top athletes in the sled industry are all short and lightweight, but most are incredibly strong. If I had to guess I would say 160 is probably the average weight of guys like burandt, entz, gardiner, turcott, brown, etc...

I would agree with this 100% however I do not fit in that weight class myself due to a Coors light or two.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
6' and about 180-190 probably is the best. I'm no where near that. But if you look at folks like Burandt, Rasmussen and so on they aren't short and not super tall, just fit.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
im just thinking how its just so much more that hp vs weight ratio.

that one show comes to mind ,, its a fitness show based in japan ,, iron samuri or something..

athletes come and run this obstacle course.

some serious athletes ,, Olympians , professionals ,, parkcore ,, all gambits you name it

anyhow ,, no american has ever completed the course, and only like 3 in history from japan ,,

and one was a fisherman ,, the other a waiter

out of the purest athletes , muscle bound , life time of training ,, off the street rank amateurs out performed

so what im getting at is , ok is there a formula,

factors
power physically of man
physical dimensions of machine and man
power of machine,
footprint of machine
weight of machine and man
ect ect ect

we all build sleds,, well most of us modify.. yet
sled company build em for the masses..

a 500 lb / 200hp sled in the hands of a brute 250 lb man is not the same thing as the same sled in a 140 lb man. its not just weight vs power. in a straight line sure,, but mountain sledding is not drag racing, its a dance and a 140 lb man would not be tossing around a 500 lb sled like a 250 lb man will..

so why build it like they will ,, 4 strokes for the Clydesdale's and 570 fanners for the pony's .. not being diminutive just one size does not fit all

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
yes exactly,, many factors

some more impactful than others.

less figuratively than literately..

the tail wagging the dog scenario,, tail being the rider,, dog being the sled

how big is the tail and how big is the dog

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
If you want to know the formula for being a top level rider here it is:

1. Coordination and balance

2. Aerobic conditioning

3. A high fear tolerance

4. High level riding partners and teachers

5. Money to buy sleds, parts, fuel, clothing, etc

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Riding well is not a matter of size or strength, although being big as a novice helps a little because of the leverage advantage, but as skill level rises weight is a big disadvantage.

The person who can maintain the most momentum wins, weight diminishes the potential momentum.

Momentum is the reason a good rider can always do things others can't on the same sled, he carries more momentum through the obstacles, finesse/coordination/balance, not strength/size.

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
5' 10" and 160 lbs.

I couldn't agree more about the weight thing. I can out ride with the guys who are lighter then me through skill, but guys who are lighter then me and have similar skill out ride me every time. I have to push my comfort level on the sled to beat good riders on a consistent basis.

Buddy and I are both 6'2" and 225ish, athletic and have similar ability, and we struggle to beat our 160-180 lbs buddies every weekend. Our group is

2013 Pro- 225 lbs rider
2013 prolite 225 lbs rider
2013 pro- 160 lbs rider
2013 XM- 180 lbs rider

162" makes a big difference for us heavier guys as well for sure larger guys. Weight is king in the mtns, no doubt about it. 160 lbs buddy is probably at the top on the deepest days, only way I can keep up is by having more ponies, sled for sled, he beats me. We are the same level of rider more or less.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'm 5'8" and 145 without gear.

I'm perfect..............for me. LOL

And to poach an old line from this forum...I'm a pretty advanced fighter.

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
I have thought about my "ideal" riding weight quite a bit because my weight (and strength) have fluctuated quite a bit in the last 4-5 years.

I am 5'9 and currently about 185 lbs, give or take a few.

I played D3 football in college and at my peak I was about 205 lbs and A LOT stronger than I am right now. Every now and then I am get the itch to try lifting weights again and I am amazed at how weak I am. In those days I was also a less experienced rider but I think my strength got me out of situations where now technique (and probably my sled) would.

Ideally for me, I think if I was "in shape" at 185 it would be a perfect balance between strength and weight.

I don't really have any good comparisons in the group I usually ride with as far as age or body type.

Joe

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
5' 10" and 160 lbs.

I couldn't agree more about the weight thing. I can out ride with the guys who are lighter then me through skill, but guys who are lighter then me and have similar skill out ride me every time. I have to push my comfort level on the sled to beat good riders on a consistent basis.

Buddy and I are both 6'2" and 225ish, athletic and have similar ability, and we struggle to beat our 160-180 lbs buddies every weekend. Our group is

2013 Pro- 225 lbs rider
2013 prolite 225 lbs rider
2013 pro- 160 lbs rider
2013 XM- 180 lbs rider

162" makes a big difference for us heavier guys as well for sure larger guys. Weight is king in the mtns, no doubt about it. 160 lbs buddy is probably at the top on the deepest days, only way I can keep up is by having more ponies, sled for sled, he beats me. We are the same level of rider more or less.

Only thing that slows me down bro is when my Pro blows a belt, breaks a primary spring, or throws a rod out the block:)

Premium Features