• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Easier to get on edge on one side

208_RMK

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
Idaho
That makes a lot of sense- I have Raptor triple rate springs on the front ( I have like 2 rides on it late last season with them) and it seemed much harder to initiate on edge than my stock springs (WE Monotube shocks revalved by Carl's Cycle). I will put some more preload in the ski shocks and try it.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I don't mean to hijack but... On the front end ski shocks: So is less pre-load easier to initiate on edge or is more pre-load better? I have asked this and always get mixed results...
To a point less preload will be easier to tip and initiate a side hill or turn.

You still have to have enough to be stable and you want enough shock travel that if you hit a rut on a side hill the shock can absorb the hit instead of just bottom out and buck you.

It’s important to get it set up properly but more important than that is proper foot position, proper body/shoulder/ski position, keeping your eyes where you want to go and proper throttle control. If you work the handlebars and throttle correctly it takes very little effort to set the sled on edge.

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
I understand it's really about finding the balance between the spectrums but I think the other end of the suspension curve is a better place to focus.

Too stiff of a side hill initiation can be remedied by going wrong foot forward more often. But you can't really use technique to remedy a shock that bottoms out too easily or isn't using all of its travel when you hit a rut on a sidehill. So tune your suspension to work how you want in those situations and tune your riding to make sidehill initiation work for you.

That being said, I think the answer is to over practice your right (or non dominant) side to ensure it's not a liability when **** hits the fan

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Yeah, there's always a tradeoff. Compressing the spring more will help you roll the sled up but at the expense of too stiff of a suspension to keep it there.

Tipping and side hilling is really about throttle control. If you're yanking on the bars to tip the sled, then you're doing it wrong.

Today's sleds are super easy to tip, even when standing in a neutral position. However, working on perfecting the wrong foot forward method is a game changer for any rider. It allows you to slow your speed down by at least half (more time and control) and will tire you a lot less at the end of the day.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Might come off a bit unfriendly, (not intended so), but here is my take on this.
I'd say that 99% of the "problem" is the rider. Ever since the IQ all Polaris powder sleds have been progressively better and better, easier and easier to sidehill.
That said, getting it on one ski, while stationary and on packed/hard snow or shop floor will always show some traits that I never notice in motion in the soft snow. The trick when riding, regardless of sled, is not to "manhandle" the sled to fall over but to make it more or less fall over itself by minor body weight movements and steering/throttle input. Even on ice/plowed road getting it on one ski is more or less effortless while in motion if done right.

Getting bogged down in minor front suspension tuning for powder riding is kind of looking for a short cut that isn't there. For just soft snow carving/sidehilling most modern, narrow front, powder sleds would be "perfectly" rideable with solid steel rods instead of front shocks. Come trails/bumps or harder/packed snow that's another matter entirely. Yes, you can get the sled better tuned right, but you can't bypass rider technique just by suspension tuning.
My Öhlins shocks aren't there for improved powder behavior, they are there for the occasional jump and coping with rough transport trails.

Premium Features