• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to rebuild a waterpump ?

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I need to rebuild a waterpump on a '00 800 twin and can't find clear instructions on how to do it. Once you remove the plastic impeller does the shaft press out towards the aluminum cog that the belt runs on? I plan on reusing the shaft so I assume I don't need to remove the cog? If I press the shaft thru the seal then the seal comes off the housing? or do you have to pull the seal somehow? How do you install the new seal? Are the bearing and seal a polaris only item or can you source them elsewhere for better quality or price? Any help/tips would be appreciated. Jay

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I need to rebuild a waterpump on a '00 800 twin and can't find clear instructions on how to do it. Once you remove the plastic impeller does the shaft press out towards the aluminum cog that the belt runs on? I plan on reusing the shaft so I assume I don't need to remove the cog? If I press the shaft thru the seal then the seal comes off the housing? or do you have to pull the seal somehow? How do you install the new seal? Are the bearing and seal a polaris only item or can you source them elsewhere for better quality or price? Any help/tips would be appreciated. Jay

If you take the pipe and the Y pipe off there is a cover on the backside that also needs to come off. Then the nut needs to come off of the impeller. The impeller then comes off of the shaft along with the washer behind it. For now leave the seal in.

Then you move to the other side and take off the recoil cover and the belt drive gear. The whole shaft assembly will come out toward the mag side. The first bearing should come right out. The inner bearing may be a little harder to get out as its the one that likes to fail and get stuck in the aluminum housing.

Then I take the seal off on the impeller side and pound the bearing out of the housing. Whenever I do this swap I always up grade to better bearings as the ones from Polaris suck and are not a quality bearing.

I attached a picture of the whole assembly. Hopefully this helps.

800 water pump.jpg

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
How do you actually take the belt pully off? and if the shaft comes out towards the belt pully do you even have to take it off? Thanks for the help

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
How do you actually take the belt pully off? and if the shaft comes out towards the belt pully do you even have to take it off? Thanks for the help

The belt pully is just lightly pressed on the shaft. It doesn't need to come off in order to get the assembly out. I just take it off to inspect the shaft for wear. No problem glad to help.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I pushed the shaft (pully still attached) out and the bearing right behind the pulley fell out in pieces. My problem is obvious :face-icon-small-con Which way does the bearing behind the seal come out? towards the seal or away from it? Also the pully has to come off to replace the bearing on the shaft behind it right? it looks to me like that bearing is up against a shoulder on the shaft and has to come off towards the pully.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I pushed the shaft (pully still attached) out and the bearing right behind the pulley fell out in pieces. My problem is obvious :face-icon-small-con Which way does the bearing behind the seal come out? towards the seal or away from it? Also the pully has to come off to replace the bearing on the shaft behind it right? it looks to me like that bearing is up against a shoulder on the shaft and has to come off towards the pully.

Im going to try to type this from my smart phone at a wedding so bare with me..

Both bearings come out the same way towards the Mag side of the sled. You are correct in saying that you will need to remove the belt gear in order to get the bearing behind it off. It does rest on a shoulder on the shaft. What I said before I just ment that the gear didnt need to come off in order to get the shaft to come out.

The seal that is on the PTO side towards the exhaust where the impeller bolts to is an Island onto itself the bearings will not come out that way You will see what I mean once you remove the seal.

Make sure that the housing is in good shape too and that the bearings fit some what tight into it. If they are loose or if the shaft is worn and too loose in the bearings then your going to end up with the same problems again.

All of the times I have done this rebuild I have put in all new better quality bearings and a brand new shaft and impeller. One time I had to put on a whole new housing because a bad bearing had worn it and it would not hold the bearing tight enough.

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
the seal you need to buy from Polaris and it cost a few bucks for what you get.
The bearings you can get at any good bearing store.
I was told that I must use a special tool to install the seal. It looks pretty simple so I don't know what this tool is.

I put the seal in the freezer over night for some shrinkage and it slipped right into the housing.
I put both new bearings and the pulley onto the shaft. Again in the freezer for some shrinkage. The whole assembly should slide right in without too much trouble. Just be careful with the seal.

The rest is just bolting everything back up.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. Does anyone have any part #'s for the bearings? And X2freeride, your surfing snowest from a wedding? wow you got it bad :face-icon-small-hap

O.K. I just pressed the belt pully and the bearing behind it off the shaft, it's in pieces (the bearing) but I measured both bearings and they are both NSK 6002 DU The other bearing was intact, seized, but intact and I could read the #'s off it. The inner bearing has to press out towards the mag cylinder, or away from the rewind, because it is sitting against a shoulder in the housing. So it's easy to locate both bearings, they both sit up against shoulders, one on the shaft and one in the housing. Now I have to get a seal and a couple of 6002's and see if I can get this back together.

Last edited:
Premium Features