• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to get unstuck

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I usually roll my sled over slowly and make sure that after one roll it will be on its skis facing downhill then i bale on and a little bit of WOT and your out.

Im lazy and have no windshield i know. Obviously in some places a guy has to pull the shovel out.

The only time I ever see a helicopter being used to get sleds unstuck is when they say Yamaha on the hood and or have a turbo. If you want evidence, just watch the big dawg shoot out vids and you will see.

Personally, I can’t blame them, it’s probably easier to get a Volkswagen unstuck then a Yamaha.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I usually roll my sled over slowly and make sure that after one roll it will be on its skis facing downhill then i bale on and a little bit of WOT and your out.

Im lazy and have no windshield i know. Obviously in some places a guy has to pull the shovel out.

The only time I ever see a helicopter being used to get sleds unstuck is when they say Yamaha on the hood and or have a turbo. If you want evidence, just watch the big dawg shoot out vids and you will see.

Personally, I can’t blame them, it’s probably easier to get a Volkswagen unstuck then a Yamaha.

Troll............

My heavy, stuck all the time, can't go anywhere Yamaha has NEVER pulled out a Polaris.....WHATEVER!

Troll............

snowmobill

Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Michigan
Broke off from pack one time last year and found myself busting nipple high powder up an incline through a pretty tight forest. Buried it between 2 trees with a few inches on each side. Normally, this is where buds with bungees come in but they were too busy playing to know I was gone yet. Normally I'd roll it here, but no way with those trees. Started digging (gotta carry a shovel) under running boards and when all snow was out from under both sides, I jumped on bumper to compress snow under track. Did this several times and also dug out under belly pan to compress snow under skis (not too much though or you end up tunneling). Sled probably sunk a foot and I was nervous but with a little packing of my exit chute....strike that - by packing down the snow in front of the sled, I got a hole shot like I never expected and was back on top. By preventing the running boards from hanging up on the snow, the track can compress the powder for a great set up. Took a long time but it worked.

L

lewey

Dec 26, 2007
vancouver
stuck on a hill? roll it over! its a sled, not a ferrari. roll it over once and she'll be pointing downhill. couple pulls and your running. just saved yourself a half hour of diggin and a huge bomb hole that will kill someone in flat light. your plastic will be fine.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
+1 for those jacks.... real nice for big stucks, snobunje's are good for smallish stucks

H

Hillclimber

Jan 10, 2008
Colorado
There seems to be a lot of new guys in the deep powder getting stuck. Last Saturday at the Range, a group of riders had to be rescued. Not sure of the out come.

Stick one: You are in the really deep snow on the flat, straight ahead stuck. Snow over your hood.

Stick two: Climbing a really steep hill, not so deep snow, stuck straight up, dug in. You are afraid your sled will roll off the hill.

Stick three: Your sled rolls into a trench, 6 feet deep.

How do you get your sled out by yourself? How do you get it out with 4 people?

Stick one, pack the snow under your track as best you can from between the skis, stomp a runway in front, step on both skis to sink the front end a little and to give the track some bite. Throttle out, rocking side to side as necessary.

Stick two, depends on how deep it is, it's hard pack why would you get stuck? If it's a foot, that one gentle roll might quickly turn into 15 or 20 if it gets away from you. One to two feet, set the parking brake, stomp or dig to whichever side you are pointing towards, (or pick a side if you are goofy enough to bury it straight up and not turn out). Dig enough to give yourself a flat landing spot to pull your sled into. Pull gently from the ski and it should slide right onto your landing area. Release the brake and ride out. Three feet plus, one gentle roll and a ski pull should have you pointing downhill.

Stick three, the classic stuck in the bottom of the creek. Stomp or dig a flat runway before hitting the opposite wall and sidehilling/climbing out. You're going to need a good runway with some decent packed snow wider than your sled. The longer the better, this will help you get your speed up before cliimbing out. You don't want to come up short and just get yourself stuck on the opposite wall, that sucks. Depending on your sled the runway will be shorter or longer.

All of the above can be done by yourself. It helps on number one and three to have a buddy or two help stomp and to give a ski pull, but with enough of a runway you can get out by yourself. Number two's I like to do alone, not many guys can highmark past you and then stop the sled on a dime where you are stuck anyway. If it's that deep there's a chance of them starting an avalanche on you and your stuck sled while trying to stop.

Three buddys just complicate things, two inevitably end up laughing and talking more than stomping and pulling anyway. One or two good buddys is the best.
HC

Z

Zachcreek

Oct 18, 2008
Buena Vista Colorado
http://www.highliftjack.com/ for stuck. I usually repack the trench so that you do not dig back into the trench. You can also jack the back and pivot by pulling the front. Jack it away from a tree etc.

Roll the sled on a steep hill.

Jack is the best. But carry a shovel for the steep hills for clearing for rolling, as the jack might slip.

When you think that you have a good set on the snow, feather the throttle, and walk the sled until its good to go. don't nail the throttle.

Carry Pendelton whiskey, matches,bivi bag and a emergency kit in case you have to spend the night. Let people know where you are going. And really, never go alone and OK, Pendelton is optional.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
if ya want that second person when your alone..drill small hole in throttle lever..have fish line tied to washer...pass line through the hole...pull on front ski while tugging fish line and as unit jerks foward the line relaxes releasing the throttle...repeat till your back up on top...oh yea dont be scared to roll machine over etc in powder...she won;t hurt

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
I often go out by myself so I have learned that the first thing is to get off the throttle when getting stuck is inevitable, I carry a good shovel and if I have too I will make a good ramp up out of my stuck position.

P2030010.jpg

This was 1/2 hour getting out, the sled was down in the trees, and I was by myself.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I found the most important thing is to spend a few extra minutes packing the snow in front down, you can dig the sled out all you want, but if it has to try and push from the getgo, its just gonna get more stuck... pack an outrun, shovel around things, and SNOBUNJEES!!!!

Our group has 4 hand held bunjees and a sled to sled one. we found that if you hook the sled to sled on up to the sled and then 4 individual ones up to it, then you could pull almost any sled out of almost any hole as long as its not totally parked on the boards. shovel a tiny bit and this setup rocks!

viperbusa

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
If you own an Apex, the only way to get it out is to roll it, the take a hit off the bottle!

B

BigPoo

Nov 22, 2008
Langley, BC
www.perfectturfgrass.ca
stick 1= pack down snow beside the track, lift the track onto the packed snow, pack down a small hard path in front. ride it out.

stick 2=make a platform and slowly inch the sled onto it. ride it off.

stick 3= make a path out of the trench pack it down and ride it out.

A
Mar 11, 2008
Soldotna AK
Little off subject but..............I've seen countless times people riding strait up hills or mountains............lose all there momentum and not even bother to try and turn out..........then auger it in with the skis pointed strait up hill. If it feels like your not going to make it then atleast attempt to turn out(I know it's not always possible). Sure is easier to get them un stuck when the sled is pointed more horizontal then vertical!

Premium Features