• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How about that new m8 163hp

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
im guessing they will come out lean to pass epa.then everybody will be crying with baked engines.then about jan or feb they will fatten the putor with an update.hope im wrong.

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
I understand your consernse but have you seen the dyno, it has over 160hp for 600rpm. 7900-8500

Last edited:
A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I would rather have a sled that had 8-10HP less but spanned it over a 800-1000 RPM band than something that peaked within a 200 RPM band. Once you drop out of the very small window of peak power, your clutching would be off and you would likely be down at least 5-10 HP from the peak anyway. You will struggle to keep RPMs within a narrow band and this makes clutching far more difficult.

Sometimes the "highest" HP isn't the one you want.

Something to think about. :)

NSC

Good thoughts but, by looks of the couple of dyno charts I've seen on the new Cat it has a some what broad peak power curve compared to some others. See the MXZ 800 spike on this chart?
http://snowest.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=61362&d=1237200330

Last edited:
S
Dec 22, 2008
Gunnison CO Littleton CO
After a year they are beat? Are you kidding me? There are plenty of M's with 3000+ miles on them and have had no major chassis or engine problems, that sure isnt a thing an xp summit rider could say. I think you are getting it confused with the XP which is one of the least reliable sleds on the snow. The chassis isnt built to be rigid it is built to be light and that is exactly what it is light, and it wont hold up. I sure havent heard of any M series sleds have their tunnels collapse have you? Doo gained weight this year because they had to beef up their sleds, they werent holding up. So to me its pretty obvious which sled only holds up for a year.

please einstein, provide us with proof to back this up.

(not argueing that the claimed weight went up, but where is this extra beef? cuz i havent heard anything about that being factual information, just speculation. for all we know last years weights were bs and this years are real, meaning that they in fact didnt gain any weight, other than in the print.) also, if im not mistaken, more 800 liberty motors have gone down from poor fuel mapping than anyone else' motors have for other reasons, so who has the most unreliable sled again?

on top of that, I LOVE how all of you cat guys only have ONE SINGLE dyno sheet to back up your Sh!t talking.

Anyone else here in the world of automotive high performance? Ever seen a fudged dyno sheet? I have, and I know how to do it too, dont believe every dyno sheet someone puts before you.

Ill wait for a little more proof thanks, Ive only heard about seventeen different HP claims for Cats new 800HO. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Good thoughts but, by looks of the couple of dyno charts I've seen on the new Cat it has a some what broad peak power curve compared to some others. See the MXZ 800 spike on this chart?
http://snowest.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=61362&d=1237200330

That's good then. I'm not picking one sled over another here or defending any manufacturer, just putting the facts out there - Don't be fooled by peak values and pre-production #'s or graphs from ANY manufacturer. If the M8 makes the power for 1000 rpm and the Doo is the one that peaks quickly then fine, the M8 will have the most cumulative HP, which is what you want in a motor. Doo knows this, if they choose to build something else - oh well. I haven't looked at the dyno charts and usually I don't. I'm more interested in the raw data - things like torque, BSFC, timing, etc. Showing me a peak on a graph is pointless, if I based my decision on the graph above, you would be inclined to think that the F8 is the most powerful and the Dragon is the least. However if the #'s from AC and Doo were based on pre-production values and Polaris #'s were real world production values, once it was all said and done and things de-tuned on the AC and Doo sleds, the Polaris may be the most powerful (hypothetical scenario here people - don't jump down my throat).

Again, showing us a graph is nice, but real world hard data is needed to fully evaluate the entire scenario. The AC made the power no doubt there, but lets wee what BSFC values, timing etc it was made at. While the F8 may have made the most HP, I'll probably reserve judgement until I see the hard data as to which one makes the most HP and what the values will be once it begins life on the snow. If it happens to be the M8 - Good on ya AC!!!

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
You want data and we give you data and of course thats not the right data. All the details are on dyna teck research. Independent dyno company. Being such a data guy I am sure you are a paying member of dyno teck and there is a more comprehensive write up on the dyno runs.The data is out there and I agree seeing and feeling this new motor is going to be the desiding factor in how good it is. But you want data and there is data and the data looks inpressive.

J
Apr 28, 2008
kent wa
talent

POWDERBOUNDER 13 H.P IS GREAT,ARE YOU ONE OF THOSE GUYS THAT CAN SHOW US WHERE THE EXTRA POWER CAN PUT YOU?IS YOUR WIFE GIVING YOU THE SILENT TREATMENT,ARE YOU NOT ALLOWED TO POST IN THE CAT SECTION?WOULD YOU LIKE TO OUT PERFORM SOMEONE ON YOUR LESSER MACHINE OR DO YOU LIKE THE STRESS OF BEING A BIG DOG?MAYBE WE ALL SHOULD GET M1 AND MOD THEM THE HORSEPOWER IS AVAILABLE:confused:

S
Dec 22, 2008
Gunnison CO Littleton CO
You want data and we give you data and of course thats not the right data. All the details are on dyna teck research. Independent dyno company. Being such a data guy I am sure you are a paying member of dyno teck and there is a more comprehensive write up on the dyno runs.The data is out there and I agree seeing and feeling this new motor is going to be the desiding factor in how good it is. But you want data and there is data and the data looks inpressive.

for the record, its DYNO TECH
and yes i can see very clearly there is data out there, from ONE research facility. whos name is now pasted on Arctic Cats web site. im sure its totally legit :rolleyes:

Production sled? Production Mapping? obviously not, because its march. Why does every Acrtic Splat guy out there convinced they are getting a 163hp Doo and Poo killer next year? when was the last time a mfg's spring time hp claims actually made it to production

I asked for proof that xp's agined weight by adding more beef to the chassis and are the least reliable sleds out there. where is it? :rolleyes:

maybe im all wrong.

i ride a doo and if it was them making the claims I wouldnt even back them up until its november, you guys are rediculous.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown

OK, so I went at looked at the data. Sorry to burst your bubble here dude.
"2010 Arctic Cat F8 preproduction sled stock evaluation" so "pre-production" being the key word there.

So as a rebuttal to your comment - no, the numbers are not that impressive as they are still pre-production, regardless of who tested them. You can come on here and boast all you want when the real world evaluations come out and real production numbers are posted. I'm not trying to p!$$ in your cornflakes dude but you have to look at more than the peak on the graph to call it impressive.

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
If you want this post to disappear than don't add anymore posts and I won't. I can't believe it is still going. Sorry for being excited about a new motor in my brand.I know dynos are not everything but they usually give an idea of what the motor has. Yes that is a prototype and it may not come out at exactly 163hp. I think it was pulling alittle less on cats dyno. Kind of the reason the are saying 10% hp increase over 09 model. Cats dyno reads a little lower than most.
I will have a better seat of the pants impression by next week after a couple of demo rides. If you guys want I will post my almost unbiased inpresion LMAO, for you guys. If not I will post something on the cat form. You guy relax alittle I was only having aliittle fun. SKI DOO RULES.

Jester

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
Good, Good, Good!

I don't know why it matters. I am an XP die hard, but I rode a friends M8 this year. Good sled, but I don't like the feel. Just different I guess. I think it is good that these companies keep pushing each other to move forward.

I think I am mostly disappointed that skidoo didn't make more of an effort this year. Color is neat looking and all, but come on! I still don't know why these engines can't pump out more horsepower. Poo, Poo on the EPA!!!

It makes it fun to mod the sleds and get your own level of desired performance out of them. Still lovin my Blue Doo!

B

BoneStock 600

Jan 15, 2008
Wy
Kitty Kat

How bout you post your bogus numbers on the kitty kat site nobody here gives a $hit. They will need 200hp to keep up with the XP's!

HMC 399

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2008
utah
Rode one today, it's the real deal. Doo can't sit by, they will have to step up in 2011. This is good for everyone, Factories keep pushing each other and the consumers win.

Premium Features