• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High Stator Voltage

W
Feb 8, 2011
Hi,

This might be long. I have a mod 2001 700 RMK that is burning bulbs but the sled runs great. I searched all the threads I could find and determined it's probably a bad Voltage Regulator. I replaced it and it put out 13v for a few hours and then nothing.

I searched a few more threads where someone mentioned to try a Cat VR. Thats what I have on there right now. No Voltage.

I'm thinking Bad Stator? It's putting out 75Vac from the Stator with the VR unplugged. This seems high to me but I don't know for sure. I'm thinking I'm burning Voltage Regulators?

My Stator and CDI are actually off a 99. I found the resistance tests. The only one that is out of spec is Brown-Yellow. It's reading .22 ohms.

Any suggestions/opinions/condolences? I've learned a ton from searching old threads. Great site. Thanks.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Voltage

75 seems high as you say. Usually they put out around 48 v AC. The reg will burn off the excess down to about 13 at an idle and go up to 14.5 or so as the RPM picks up. You need additional load on the system at all times to prevent damage to the reg. Usually the head light will provide this but if you run without the hood then you need to suppliment the load on the system. Lots of creative ways to do that. Most common is running a handelbar heater all the time. Stuck somewhere like the steering hoop or the like. You might double check the manual and see if it gives an unregulated voltage spec. Inspect the stator for cold solder joints. I had one like that and it would blow the reg.

W
Feb 8, 2011
Thats good to know about needing load. This sled was stripped down to lighten it up. The only thing drawing voltage is the tach. I think I may add a few high wattage resistors to drop the voltage off the Stator. Then I'll try a new Regulator.

Premium Features