• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High CCA Battery?

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
I picked up a 2018 KTM 450 with 2.5 hours on it for my build, and the battery in it is pretty much garbage it seems. On a full charge doesn't have enough juice to spin it over and start in my 50 degree garage. With a booster pack it fires right up. So, Battery time.

Seems there are A LOT of options ranging from 150 bucks to 500 bucks. Looking for something that won't break the bank and provides enough ump to spin this thing over without a booster pack when its above freezing.

EarthX seems popular but 400 bucks is a bit to much....

Mid-Range price/performance recommendations?

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
I have a few KTM & Husky snow bikes including a 2018 450 and the stock battery should work way better than that. We do tow in an enclosed trailer so the bikes are never super cold when we unload. I have used the stock battery on the 18 KTM until this year. The Lithium battery's typically like a warm up procedure, link provided below from KTM/Youtube. If you have tried this and yours still does not work your battery may be junk or something else.. We have used the EarthX batteries as a replacement. They are still a lithium battery which is not the best for cold. I like the light weight and they well work for us. Conventional lead acid is the best if your bike is stored and started dead cold. (y)
Link -

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I picked up a 2018 KTM 450 with 2.5 hours on it for my build, and the battery in it is pretty much garbage it seems. On a full charge doesn't have enough juice to spin it over and start in my 50 degree garage. With a booster pack it fires right up. So, Battery time.

Seems there are A LOT of options ranging from 150 bucks to 500 bucks. Looking for something that won't break the bank and provides enough ump to spin this thing over without a booster pack when its above freezing.

Antigravity 8 cell will start that bike like a champ. (Starts my matryx boost at -20*F no problem)

Around $200

I’m not sure if it will fit in the stock location though.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I've been running a Yuasa YTZ7S in my KTM 450 all summer then switch it to my YZ450F snowbike in the winter. Typically I get 3 seasons out of it. Works well in the winter not the lightest battery out there but they are cheap and reliable. I just bought a new one for this season, I find running them year around actually prolongs their life.

M5

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
I have a few KTM & Husky snow bikes including a 2018 450 and the stock battery should work way better than that. We do tow in an enclosed trailer so the bikes are never super cold when we unload. I have used the stock battery on the 18 KTM until this year. The Lithium battery's typically like a warm up procedure, link provided below from KTM/Youtube. If you have tried this and yours still does not work your battery may be junk or something else.. We have used the EarthX batteries as a replacement. They are still a lithium battery which is not the best for cold. I like the light weight and they well work for us. Conventional lead acid is the best if your bike is stored and started dead cold. (y)
Link -
Watched this vid. She won't make it past the first attempt before it's toast. . Likely no good from sitting so long.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut

Earth x now we have had 2 completely die within a year… they warranty it but it’s a pain to replace a battery with a 3 year old battery at the trailhead to go for a ride . And to pay for a premium battery that dies this. I have had luck with firepower and antigravity … and of course the tried and true Yusen non lithium .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
The Anti gravity rocks , Its a combination Lithium /cobalt so it a tad heavier than a full lithium however this work best for cold conditions,

M
Jan 14, 2004
I wouldn't lose any sleep over the weight of the battery its negligible compared to the weight of all the ice and snow that builds up. Some days my bike is snow and ice free other, days it's absolutely loaded. Riding it, I can't tell the difference so just buy a battery that works in all conditions, it doesn't need to cost 400 bucks or be developed by NASA.

M5

E
Nov 19, 2022
Denver
FWIW antigravity is having a black Friday sale (goes until 11/28). 20% off powersports batteries and 40% off micro-starts. I just picked up an ag-801 battery and xp-1 microstart. The ag-801 seems to have some of (if not the) highest CCA of any battery of its size. Hopefully between the two that will be plenty of juice.

Premium Features