• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

battery blanket for the ride to the staging area only?

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
ive been boosting it, with whats supposed to be the best booster out there... the anti gravity xp10. they say itll start a 7.3L diesel.

maybe my battery was bad, but the booster is always fully charged and fairly warm and still doesnt spin the bike over some mornings. maybe its an issue with my oil?

this is what I did: external battery posts so I can jump the battery easier. I still had problems and had to hook up to the truck some mornings that werent even that cold.

brand new battery, on the tender every ride, with a fully charged, warm booster and maybe a battery blanket (or stick on oil pan heaters) too would be nice to figure out for just the cold drive to the riding area..

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I have the same issue on cold days, this is what I set up. I just wired in the extension direct to battery and leave it there, it just tucks under seat when riding. I don’t try to start without booster pack on. Cold days so I don’t run down the battery first. Just plug in booster and it fires no problem. You can keep booster inside so its warm and fully charged.

that anti gravity ag 1201 battery ive got is 360cca and 12ah which was very impressive and usually started it right away.

the no name battery I bought did like 100cca and 3ah

and the yuatsz ytz7s was 130cca and 6ah and wasnt enough even at 100% power.

seems like that earthx says itll do 400 burst cranking amps

the xp10 booster pack is 400cca with 600 peak cranking amps.. still wont do it on cold days though. maybe its defective? maybe my wires are too thin? ive got the ground cable on my external battery post to the battery ground pretty hot before

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Cory, if the wires are not large enough the wire will get warm and hot if current flows long enough. The heat is caused by resistance to current flow whether it be a wire that is not large enough or a loose/bad connection such as your ground strap. The slower the starter turns the more current it draws so on the cold mornings with cold oil the starter needs a larger wire than what works on a hot start. So the wire size may be reducing your current flow, larger and shorter is better.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I figure it was something like that. I will have to put larger wires from the external posts to the battery.

the only time I noticed it getting crazy hot is when I used the big car battery booster box and had it on car start mode... jumped the battery up to like 17 volts whereas the xp10 was struggling to hit 14v. battery was 13.5 normally. you can see the wires in the first picture.. they are fairly thin.

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
What are you using for oil? Heavy oil cold would cause a lot of draw on a battery.

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
Maybe your starter is weak or faulty relay causing resistance? can you jump straight to the starter post eliminating the relay and other wiring?

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
yes starter is the next thing I am going to investigate if this gives me problems with a brand new battery. id imagine I could jump straight to the starter post pretty easily, thats a good idea if this new ag1201 doesnt work.

Premium Features