• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help with Gearing an Older Mountain Horse

C
Jun 15, 2011
Surrey, BC
Hi Everyone,

I have an older Timbersled mountain horse, I think its a 2013 but I'm not 100% sure. It was a short track but a previous owner put a long track on it with rail extensions. Anyways, all the sprockets are wore out and I want to make sure I buy the optimal ones for my 2018 YZ450F. Currently the bike has a 13T sprocket, then the kit has 17T on the jackshaft, then a 17T top and 20T lower gear. I understand the newer kits didn't run the 20T lower, so any advice on re gearing this older kit with my YZ would be great.

Also if anyone has an Yamaha fit kit laying around that would be great.

Cheers Cole

E
Dec 19, 2007
Assuming your track only has 2" paddles, That gearing is way too low. If the 13/17 works good to keep the main chain tight then you could flip the two on the outer case or try 17/17 with a shorter chain. Keeping the main chain tight is a chore. There isn't much adjustment to play around. I've got a bunch of sprockets for sale too including a custom 19t if you need one. If the shafts keys are mangled make sure to get quality new ones. My 380 would shear the cheap hardware store keys pretty quick.

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
With the tranny in f vs the fx you should be very close with 17 17 on the outer and 13-17 . On the fx I went to 18 16 (if I remember right) running the 18 up top to make second sweet spot. On the f with close ratio tranny 17-17 was good. I hate wide ratio for snow bike:( listen to above post about main chain tension, once you find right spot (usually 13-17) leave it alone. Put new chains on every year or it will stretch to a bad spot and your fighting it. Bring a extra plastic chain tensioner pulley sprocket thingie with you, chain gets loose it slaps it and breaks of the teeth.

C
Jun 15, 2011
Surrey, BC
I really want to thank everyone for all the advise posted above. I will concentrate on getting the main chain tight, and then run a closer matched, or matched pair in the chain case instead of the 17-20 I have now.

C
Jun 15, 2011
Surrey, BC
Assuming your track only has 2" paddles, That gearing is way too low. If the 13/17 works good to keep the main chain tight then you could flip the two on the outer case or try 17/17 with a shorter chain. Keeping the main chain tight is a chore. There isn't much adjustment to play around. I've got a bunch of sprockets for sale too including a custom 19t if you need one. If the shafts keys are mangled make sure to get quality new ones. My 380 would shear the cheap hardware store keys pretty quick.
yes my track is only 2" paddles. Do you have a few 17t you would sell? I'm happy to buy used as I'd rather save my money to go towards a newer kit for next season. Cheers

H
Jan 12, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I have an older Timbersled mountain horse, I think its a 2013 but I'm not 100% sure. It was a short track but a previous owner put a long track on it with rail extensions. Anyways, all the sprockets are wore out and I want to make sure I buy the optimal ones for my 2018 YZ450F. Currently the bike has a 13T sprocket, then the kit has 17T on the jackshaft, then a 17T top and 20T lower gear. I understand the newer kits didn't run the 20T lower, so any advice on re gearing this older kit with my YZ would be great.

Also if anyone has an Yamaha fit kit laying around that would be great.

Cheers Cole
Do you still have timbersled sprockets that will fit the old timbersled? Thanks Rick

Premium Features