• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HELP! need a quick answer. Tire fitment question

W
Nov 26, 2007
Bay City MI
I bought a new set of Nitto Terra Grapplers and had them installed on my 09 F-150. The truck has 7.5" wide wheels and the tires are 285/65/18. The manufacturers recommended minimum wheel width is 8". Now the dealer that put them on says they made a mistake and should have never put them on the rim. They want me to come back and get a smaller tire, which I don't want to do. Or they will make me a smokin offer on a set of wheels. I think the reason they want to change them is to cover their butts on a liability issue and warranty issue.

So my question is what will happen if I just leave the tires on the 7.5" rims? I don't see a problem with it. I see people put bigger tires on stock rims all the time.

The dealer is Discount tires. Really nice guys and I got a good deal on the tires.

I'm not worried about them rubbing because they fit fine and look cool, what should I do?

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Call Lyles Tires in Omaha. Ask for Mike the owner he knows his chit and will give your the advice you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I bought a new set of Nitto Terra Grapplers and had them installed on my 09 F-150. The truck has 7.5" wide wheels and the tires are 285/65/18. The manufacturers recommended minimum wheel width is 8". Now the dealer that put them on says they made a mistake and should have never put them on the rim. They want me to come back and get a smaller tire, which I don't want to do. Or they will make me a smokin offer on a set of wheels. I think the reason they want to change them is to cover their butts on a liability issue and warranty issue.

So my question is what will happen if I just leave the tires on the 7.5" rims? I don't see a problem with it. I see people put bigger tires on stock rims all the time.

The dealer is Discount tires. Really nice guys and I got a good deal on the tires.

I'm not worried about them rubbing because they fit fine and look cool, what should I do?

I wouldn't worry about it, there are thousands of folks that have run 285 tires on factory rims.

I ran 285's on my ol 3/4-ton Chevy and I think those might have even been 7" rims.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
If they are a mileage warrantied tire, there is a chance that you won't get your expected miles out of them as they will likely wear the center of the tread out sooner since the tread will be somewhat rounded. This can be somewhat corrected by lowering the air pressure, but then it gets squirrely.

We run 285 on our woods trucks quite often on the stock F150 rims with no issues, but they won't warranty them for mileage given the abuse they take on the haul roads.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I wouldn't worry about it, there are thousands of folks that have run 285 tires on factory rims.

I ran 285's on my ol 3/4-ton Chevy and I think those might have even been 7" rims.

Agreed. I ran 285's on my 2006 Duramax on the stock rims. Tons of people on the 4M's say you can't do that on the stock rim but I never had problems and I had that truck on some knarly roads. I'm not saying you can't have a problem but I think it is a liability concern. I'm sure that tire company would love to give you a "smoking" deal on some rims though! :face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features