• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heated brake lever

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Anybody use one? After riding this weekend in temps colder than I usually ride, I have got myself a little frostbite on my brake finger.
So far, I found TKI and 3D. Any opinions on this? And maybe 3D logic is not heated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
While I liked my heated (skinz) brake lever, it also crates more icing on your glove finger due to the melting snow in deep conditions.

So yes, it can be warmer, but also, creates some different issues.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
While I liked my heated (skinz) brake lever, it also crates more icing on your glove finger due to the melting snow in deep conditions.

So yes, it can be warmer, but also, creates some different issues.

Good point, maybe a little counter productive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
The pluses of a heated brake lever outweigh the negatives (IMO).

Adding heat to the inexpensive tki brake lever is pretty easy with a 12v element and heat shrink for durability.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
I actually found myself needing to stop riding to thaw my iced up brake finger regularly (on the handlebar grip, high setting) on deep days and felt it ultimately made my finger colder since it was iced, then more wet, after thawing. Heat is an attractant for moisture, which is another reason I typically run my grips on low because my hands get more wet when they're on high with the additional snow melting.

Very personal decision. Fortunately it's a relatively cheap and easy mod to try!

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Appear to be outa stock/on back order everywhere. I guess I’ll wait. I would like to give these a shot. I like to wear lighter gloves and carry about 6 pair to swap put all day. I think this might reduce it down a little. Maybe not, but i believe the cutting down the wind or weather will help.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Appear to be outa stock/on back order everywhere. I guess I’ll wait. I would like to give these a shot. I like to wear lighter gloves and carry about 6 pair to swap put all day. I think this might reduce it down a little. Maybe not, but i believe the cutting down the wind or weather will help.

I wear light gloves (Klim Inversion) and usually only go through 1 to 2 pairs a day. The gauntlets are a game changer. I used to pack 8 pairs of gloves before I started running the gauntlets.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
My wife has a Skinz brake lever - on her Axys I liked it, on her Matryx not so much. I wired in a toggle switch so I could shut them off. I can't imagine having one of those turned on all day, they get super hot IMO and I can understand the whole freeze / thaw issue discussed above. TKI's come standard with a switch AND they are less expensive so had I seen them before I ordered the Skinz for her Matryx I would have gotten the TKI. I have a non-heated TKI on my Matryx and I really like it. I still need to try adjusting the Skinz on the Matryx again and see if I can move it further away from the bars. It's so close that on her 2024 the brake doesn't even start to engage before you are hitting the backs of your other fingers. When trying to grab a little brake you literally have to move all of your fingers to the top side of the lever (as opposed to having one or two fingers on the brake and the rest on the bars.) Since the snow has been so crappy here she only has 37 miles on it so I havent really messed with it much so that might be on me. We'll see.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I wear light gloves (Klim Inversion) and usually only go through 1 to 2 pairs a day. The gauntlets are a game changer. I used to pack 8 pairs of gloves before I started running the gauntlets.
As an unpaid sponsor for Burandt and what some “people” think, a paid to be Chads friend, I approve of this message😂😂 I run Klim Inversion GTX gloves though🤪IMG_3555.jpeg

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
As an unpaid sponsor for Burandt and what some “people” think, a paid to be Chads friend, I approve of this message I run Klim Inversion GTX gloves thoughView attachment 414850

Paid friend or unpaid friend, sponsor or no sponsor, somebody get on the phone and call him and tell him to make some more, pronto. After last weekend, anything below room temperature and my fingers are pissed. Especially my brake finger. I’ll have to use my middle finger this weekend I guess.

Last edited:

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Anybody use one? After riding this weekend in temps colder than I usually ride, I have got myself a little frostbite on my brake finger.
So far, I found TKI and 3D. Any opinions on this? And maybe 3D logic is not heated.

I have one and love it. I always ride with my finger on the brake and it would always get cold as it doesn't touch the handle grip heaters. Would never be without now.
It's a SKINZ lever SDBLH105-GR. Would add a switch next time as it gets really hot when idling the sled without gloves mostly when loading and unloading sled.

Cinno

Snowman10

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 23, 2019
I had a Skinz heated lever on my 2019 and when I purchased my new Boost it was the first item added to the new sled, because I won't ride without one.

BigSkyRider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 17, 2011
MT
I just installed the skinz lever on my '23. Looking at the lever, it seems to have less "preload" on the piston. I have way more travel before the brake engages. Heat is nice but I hate the extra travel. May have to go back to stock.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I just installed the skinz lever on my '23. Looking at the lever, it seems to have less "preload" on the piston. I have way more travel before the brake engages. Heat is nice but I hate the extra travel. May have to go back to stock.

My buddy has one, but his is a 21. I noticed more free play on his compared to my stock 22.

Premium Features