• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Headlight problem Gen II. Need help!

G

Geezer

Nov 28, 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
:confused:Here is the problem the headlight goes from normal brigtness to really dim. It is not affected by the hi or low beam selection. Also all the connections seem to be in good shape. The sled runs perfect and all of a sudden the headlight goes dim then after awhile goes back to normal brightness. I am stumped. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks Terry

S
Dec 13, 2007
midwest
More than likely you have a voltage regulator starting to fail. Should be located on the RH footrest inside under the hood by chaincase. Double check that no wires are shorted inside the LH control assm where the dimmer and handwarmer switch is located. Good luck but should be a simple fix with a regulator replacement.

-Seeder

R
Nov 26, 2007
Michigan
sorry to cut in on your thread but I also am having headlight trouble. my dims don't work at all, changed the bulbs checked, and checked the hi-lo switch, could it also be a voltage regulator thing???

S
Dec 13, 2007
midwest
Easiest way to check the dimmer is with a test light, see if power is getting up there but usually if one is working but not the other after a bulb replacement it is a faulty dimmer switch, swap it out with a known good one. A bad regulator will affect the brightness of the lights not the function of the high/low feature. Good luck.

-Seeder

S
Mar 5, 2005
Boise, Id
Seeder is spot on, had the same identical problem a couple weeks back on an 01 Gen II, with lights going from dim to normal. Replaced regulator, I believe it is a #7, also it is located above left foot well right behind the cowling.

R
Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
A simple test for the regulator is to unplug the regulator at an idle, if the lights become bright its the regulator. Do NOT rev the engine above idle or you may burn out all the bulbs on the sled.

Premium Features