• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 850 Freeride Hesitation/Cutout

Y
Feb 22, 2009
Hi All,

Really would appreciate some help on this.

First ride of the year sled was running fine (2018 gen 4 850 stock) Dropped off a steep ridge and turned around and made a WOT run to the top. Power was normal. Waiting for others decided to take another run and at the bottom as soon as I got to about 6400 RPM the sled nearly died and then would just kind of misfire and not make any power. The engine never shut off.

Initially I thought it was a fuel problem. Felt like ignition or fuel was being being cut. We looked it over and couldn't see anything obvious so we decided to limp home. It didn't change and seems to run fine as long as you are just cruising but as soon as you tip into the power and load it up it falls apart like its dropping a cylinder. We changed the belt midway back thinking maybe it was a clutch problem. Nothing changed.

The check engine light never came on and there were no p codes on the dash. We pulled the plugs and they looked pretty bad (original, ~1000miles). We cleaned them up as best we could and put it back but no change for better or worse. I didn't have any new plugs. The next day trying to trouble shoot it had a hard time starting and possibly sounded like only one cylinder was firing but cleared up. It was also cold and had been outside all night.

I don't have any dealerships nearby and the closest (3hrs) is booked until February.

I am hoping that I can tear it apart, change plugs or find something and save my season. I have read a lot about the wiring chafing near the injectors but nothing definitive.

I don't think it is bad fuel because I drained the tank at the end of last season and it took 9 gallons of fresh fuel before this ride.

I tore the thing down today to start looking around and the exhaust valves look pretty oily, is that normal? Could a plug go bad like that and cause a consistent miss at the same RPM? I really appreciate any insight to look for. Basically, Im thinking that I can change plugs, change fuel filter and hope that is it.

Edited to add: This is not an issue of just a small hesitation. The sled is not rideable if you need to climb any hill or make any power. It will move around under its own power but thats about it.

IMG_4509.jpg

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
New plugs, fuel filter and some carbon free fuel treatment and you will most likely be happy.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
If the above suggestions don't work, the next place to look would be the RAVEs. Sounds like the solenoid may not be opening the valves all the way. Need the dealer to plug it in to check the function.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
It might be more simple than you think. Had the exact same issue on a 17 850 and put 1k into clutch work. It took about 5 rides of of running heet in the gas and the bad gas finally burned off. I didn’t think this was the case as a 2020.5 and 2021 turbo both ran the same gas and never had issues. And the 850s can get pretty oily because any time they get hot they over oil so no engine damage happens.

M
Mar 2, 2022
Maine
Did you ever find the problem? My 18 freeride did the same thing. Started out bogging and no power limped it to the trailer, changed the plugs it went 150 miles seeming ok then did it again. Now it won’t even move, it idles perfect but give it any throttle at all it bogs and wants to stall and won’t move.

darens

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Morgan, Utah (pronounced HoooHaw)
I am having a similar issue, my 2020 850 expert started acting like it was running out of gas when opening it up, just sputtering on the top end, then as I limped it home it got worse and worse until it would not run, die, then after waiting a few minutes would start up and run for a bit longer ... made it back to the trailer and started troubleshooting. I first changed the fuel filter ... did not fix it, did the same thing the next time out. A mechanic friend of mine found the EGT had rattled out, put it back, didn't fix it. He also checked the pressure from the fuel pump, and it was 45#. My mechanic friend then changed the plugs, which also did not look good, but that did not fix it. When you are riding it you will hear a beep, but when you look down there is not a code or anything (Is this the DET sensor?). Initially it would not show up until you ran it for 10-15 mins. Then recently it would not idle after starting until it warmed up some which sounds like a fuel supply issue to me. I took it to a dealer to read the codes, but did not find any codes that would tell them or me what the issue is. I hate to just throw money at it... thinking it could be the fuel pump that is falling off after it gets warm, but hesitating to change it due to $$ A new fuel pump is over $600 from the dealer (closer to $500 from partzilla) but hesitate to just throw money at it.

From @Turbo Thompson post above, maybe it is bad gas. Thinking of siphoning the gas and dropping some injector cleaner in it.

@yamahauler16 did you find a solution?

Any other ideas out there?

darens

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
I am having a similar issue, my 2020 850 expert started acting like it was running out of gas when opening it up, just sputtering on the top end, then as I limped it home it got worse and worse until it would not run, die, then after waiting a few minutes would start up and run for a bit longer ... made it back to the trailer and started troubleshooting. I first changed the fuel filter ... did not fix it, did the same thing the next time out. A mechanic friend of mine found the EGT had rattled out, put it back, didn't fix it. He also checked the pressure from the fuel pump, and it was 45#. My mechanic friend then changed the plugs, which also did not look good, but that did not fix it. When you are riding it you will hear a beep, but when you look down there is not a code or anything (Is this the DET sensor?). Initially it would not show up until you ran it for 10-15 mins. Then recently it would not idle after starting until it warmed up some which sounds like a fuel supply issue to me. I took it to a dealer to read the codes, but did not find any codes that would tell them or me what the issue is. I hate to just throw money at it... thinking it could be the fuel pump that is falling off after it gets warm, but hesitating to change it due to $$ A new fuel pump is over $600 from the dealer (closer to $500 from partzilla) but hesitate to just throw money at it.

From @Turbo Thompson post above, maybe it is bad gas. Thinking of siphoning the gas and dropping some injector cleaner in it.

@yamahauler16 did you find a solution?

Any other ideas out there?
I just hooked my fuel pressure gauge up to it, at a idle it has 45#, but when running it out up the hill it dives down and the harder I push it the lower it goes, down to 12 to 15# (while it is cutting out). Pretty sure this is a fuel pump, but want to ask if there is a fuel pressure regulator somewhere in the system that could also be causing this. Based on what I am seeing, there is not, but wondering if anyone knows.

Last edited:

darens

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
I just hooked my fuel pressure gauge up to it, at a idle it has 45#, but when running it out up the hill it dives down and the harder I push it the lower it goes, down to 12 to 15# (while it is cutting out). Pretty sure this is a fuel pump, but want to ask if there is a fuel pressure regulator somewhere in the system that could also be causing this. Based on what I am seeing, there is not, but wondering if anyone knows.
Installed new fuel pump .. they are spendy, but it is fixed.. :)

Premium Features