• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HD camcorder on the cheap?

S
Oct 1, 2002
NY
For our upcoming trip out west we've got two gopro2 helmet cams. I have an older panasonic SD camcorder that works fine, but I don't think I really want to use it and going back and forth from HD- SD footage throughout the video.
I'd like to pick up a handheld hd camcorder but can only spend a couple hundred bucks tops. I realize that Im not going to get the quality of the $$$ cameras and most of the posts I've read here seems most guys are spending about 750+..
Seems many like Sony higher end models, what about lower end like HDR XR-150 and CX190. Both have decent consumer reviews on Amazon, but I dont really know what im looking for spec wise other than HD.
Im not oppose to buying used and a couple yrs old if it can be in the price range and of quality...
Suggestions...

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
For our upcoming trip out west we've got two gopro2 helmet cams. I have an older panasonic SD camcorder that works fine, but I don't think I really want to use it and going back and forth from HD- SD footage throughout the video.
I'd like to pick up a handheld hd camcorder but can only spend a couple hundred bucks tops. I realize that Im not going to get the quality of the $$$ cameras and most of the posts I've read here seems most guys are spending about 750+..
Seems many like Sony higher end models, what about lower end like HDR XR-150 and CX190. Both have decent consumer reviews on Amazon, but I dont really know what im looking for spec wise other than HD.
Im not oppose to buying used and a couple yrs old if it can be in the price range and of quality...
Suggestions...

They we probably move this to the video section.
The Sony CX190 is not very good for image quality. On review says "You just have to point and pray" Reviews for the HDR XR-150 are just a notch above the Sony CX190

Since you are a GOPRO fan ... The GOPRO HERO 3 ?

Premium Features