• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anybody made their own turbo kit(How much?)

R

Rms Rydning

Sep 30, 2006
North Norway
I have build some kits to my self. And If you only wants to ride them and count the hour it take to learn all you need to know, its not worth it. But If you like to learn new advanced technical stuff its worth it. I all depends on what level you are on. If you are not used to tune 2 strokes and clutching go for a kit and learn how the kit is working.

I have 2 or more hobbies with snowmobiling..1 is riding, the other 1 is modifying sleds and the 3rd is trying to get them to last...

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
Silber you can not run your kit at 18 psi on pump gas. There is not a problem here at OVS are turbo kits run at 18-20 psi on pump gas all day long. The pump gas is pumped out of a 55 gal drum and runs all day long.

Never said I could dude, re read my post, I said my kit will run up to 18psi, and that I wish I could run that kind of boost on pumpgas, as whoever above stated my kit was only a pumpgas kit. Was just letting everyone know that my kit will run many different boost levels on different octane fuels.

Justin

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
on your cost breakdown you have forgotten one very important cost. TIME from the time you decide to do this project till it actually runs correctly....................................
Now i didnt pull this stuff out of the air, my buddy did this project this summer and did hours of research to find the correct turbo, then finding the best price on parts which you dont get to order from one supply house, do the math.
But if your time is worth $$0$$ it would be cheaper to build your own kit, so I dont agree!! my time is worth way more to go ride but you may not take that into account.
Doug

Ok Doug since you dragged me into this mess.....lol I'm the guy he watched this last summer.

I have to agree with Doug, if............you have a stock motor that kits are available for and you are not at all interested in how the thing works. I would certainly buy a kit from one of the fine builders out there. If I was in that mode and I wanted to save some money, I would look for a used kit from one of these folks.

If you really want to figure this stuff out..........or you have a perfectly good, older technology motor like I did, then you start researching and building. I was very lucky. I had a fellow(Gus Bohne) who helped me a ton with setup info and turbo selection. I also have a good riding buddy(BManke) who has been running turbos for about, 12 years help me out. Not to mention I am fortunate in that I could do all of my own fabrication and have been tuning sleds for a year or ..too many.....LOL

I also had a lot of advise(not directly about my project) at various snow shows from the fellows at OVS and Twisted. These guys took a ton of time to explain the theories and reasons for nuts and bolts differences of their kits.

I had a absolute ball, learning how this and that worked. I am amazed at the rediculous power. I have definitely had problems that cost me rides. I don't know where you could buy the kind of knowledge, I gained. So if ya factor in the cost of that education, it's more expensive to build it yourself. But at least when you sell the sled or turbo, you still have the knowledge ya gained........good luck!

S

summit-x

Mar 3, 2008
Central,ND
id have a professional build me one, ive heard of poeple having there own kits back home hear and i also heard there not realiable at all~!

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
id have a professional build me one, ive heard of poeple having there own kits back home hear and i also heard there not realiable at all~!

We built mine... in my shop. I would run it against any comparable sled with a proffesional built kit.... it runs hard all day everyday.

Building it yourself is like have a turbo sled... its not for everyone. If you decide to build yourself, then find someone who is VERY knowledgeable to help you out.

Can you save some money.. yes. Can it bite you in the azz... yes.

There is alot more to it than fab work and buying parts. Electrical.. fuel, it all plays a roll.

Another thing I can tell you is, we have installed a number of kits... and those have not been perfect straight out of the box either. Parts that do not fit properly.. fuel controlers, that need to be reprogramed... shoot even controlers show up that dont work .. period.

To me its not that savings that was the biggest benifit. Nobody had built a kit the way we wanted it... so I got every part and detail the way I wanted it. Then when your done... and have it tuned, the satisfaction was what made it all for me.

you get what you pay for.....and the XP video you posted speaks volumes

Your going to base your critique of a kit on a crappy video.... impressive! Before you pass judgement, maybe you should go ride it. I have seen builders put up alot worse vids...

Last edited:
B
Jul 7, 2009
I have build my own M8T.
I started to build it 2004 when I saw arctics new M7.
Took 2 old F7 cylinders, big bore to 800cc, ported it for turbo.
When I got my M7 162" LE 2005, I started to build my turbokit.
I had to buy the box from BD, the box number is 0001.
So I think it´s one of the very first M turbo in the world.
I still have it and it runs great.

Premium Features