• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Handlebar Recommendation

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
Looking for options on handlebars for my 800 HCR. Wanted to go with Protaper, but can't find where they make them. Not sure about Skinz, either. I'm not very impressed with the Skinz bumper I put on the sled, so wanted to see what everyone else was using for bars. Thanks!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
CFR bars are popular with a lot of people. They have similar construction to a pro-taper fat bar but with hooks built in. Require a different riser for the larger diameter though. I think they have a model with 7/8 clamping area too. I'm running a set of Rox chromoly flat bars with built in hooks that I like, but I think they are discontinued now. I got them through WPS, maybe they still have a stock of them? I recommend ODI ruffian grips to go with whatever bars you get.

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
CFR bars are popular with a lot of people. They have similar construction to a pro-taper fat bar but with hooks built in. Require a different riser for the larger diameter though. I think they have a model with 7/8 clamping area too. I'm running a set of Rox chromoly flat bars with built in hooks that I like, but I think they are discontinued now. I got them through WPS, maybe they still have a stock of them? I recommend ODI ruffian grips to go with whatever bars you get.

Thanks!

B

BradM8

Aug 4, 2012
If you have stock controls you have to be cognizant of how much flat area the bars have to allow for the controls and a decent amount of space for the grips. The newer cfr are better for that. I ran a set of original cfr boondocker bars and it wasn't enough. Put the brake lever a weird angle to get enough space where the lever was where your hands are and had to file down the throttle block. I think any of their 2.0s with "quick rise" technology are fine now though. I have a set of turcoutte 2.0's and they are nice but overall a little wide.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
CFR bars are extremely popular on the Proclimbs. I have the 7/8" crowbar with a 3" riser and it sits right where the factory bars were, if anything I wish it were a hair lower.
If i could do it again i would go with the 1-1/8 boondocker bars and a 2" riser. And yes look into either buying a clean up kit or doing one yourself(which is what I do) makes so much more room

mtbraun

Premium Member
Mar 31, 2016
CFR bars are extremely popular on the Proclimbs. I have the 7/8" crowbar with a 3" riser and it sits right where the factory bars were, if anything I wish it were a hair lower.
If i could do it again i would go with the 1-1/8 boondocker bars and a 2" riser. And yes look into either buying a clean up kit or doing one yourself(which is what I do) makes so much more room
Thank you - what do you mean by a clean up kit?

Premium Features