• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Groove in primary clutch sheeve?

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Zero miles on sled, removing belt to clean all the freaking oil off the clutch and entire side compartment. Noticed a machined groove in the inner sheeve. Looked like something was in it so took a pick to clean out and it appears to be filled with metal shavings.

Anyone know what the purpose of the groove is and has anyone seen any metal shavings there like this?

20161128_205644.jpg 20161128_205906.jpg 20161128_210115.jpg

Last edited:

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Looks like the dealer let it idle for a long period of time. I have seen it on other doos. Never brand new.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
Id b calling the dealer, 1 why didn't they service the sled right ?? 2 wanting a new clutch , Sorry that would get it with me after spending 12 grand on a new sled!!

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
I dont see that being caused from idling. that center shaft is pressed or threaded in the fixed sheave- the groove is likely supposed to be there, but just has some leftover shavings from the machining process that never got cleaned up. your dealer certainly should have cleaned that, just shows that the dealer kicked it out of the crate, threw the skis on it and sold it, like 90% of dealers do.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
The clutch has a steel hub (painted black and magnetic) and has aluminum sheaves or sides that are probably press fit or heat shrunk onto the steel hub. The bits of aluminum may have remained from the aluminum being bored to the correct ID. My guess is that every P drive clutch is the same? JMO

G

grinney

Feb 6, 2010
I work at the local ski doo dealer and you have to scrub the clutch with brake cleaner I have my personal sled in the shop I'm gonna have to degrease the beally pan due to all the oil dripping everywhere it's a mess I deal with everyday I'm shure some dealers are speeding through set up to keep end price down not worth a unsatisfied customer

Cat man doo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2012
I work at the local ski doo dealer and you have to scrub the clutch with brake cleaner I have my personal sled in the shop I'm gonna have to degrease the beally pan due to all the oil dripping everywhere it's a mess I deal with everyday I'm shure some dealers are speeding through set up to keep end price down not worth a unsatisfied customer

We pay for PDI. Shouldn't this be done without an increase in price ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I got a txt from FastZap the other day showing this groove on his 8 fitty.
So I went and looked at my 8 fitty and it has the same "Groove" but im going to more call it an "undercut" It looks pretty s4itty actually.
It looks like an incomplete joint of metal between the aluminum cast around the steel arbor.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
I put 20 km on my machine over a very whooped out trail at Allan so it had lots of on and off the throttle, the groove is prominent but smooth and I have very smooth engagement. The only thing I see is a black mark just above the groove from the belt but I don't see or feel any damage to the belt on the side that moves over the groove so far? I agree BRP could have insisted on a better fit between the hub and the sheeve.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
besides cleaning the clutch the "groove" is irrelevant...just the steel part of the shaft vs aluminum like the TRA...so when they hit its metal on metal...

clean, adj belt and ride...keep rpm at 7800-7900, using pin weight and clickers...trail ride to season belt before hitting the pow...BJ

Premium Features