• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GREASING THE AXYS-Mtn Sleds... DO IT OFTEN AND USE EXCELLENT QUALITY GREASE

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
TTT .... it's that time of the year!

Best to read from the first post.

I recommend "bouncing the sled" to work the grease into the parts... and regreasing after bouncing... make sure to wipe up following and don't be stingey on the grease.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Might as well add a couple items to this very useful thread.

I've personally been running Mobil1 synthetic grease in my skids. Works awesome.

If you have reservoir shocks, one of the reservoirs will block one of the grease fittings. Rather than fighting it, replace the straight grease fitting with a 90 degree fitting and make it easy.

To make greasing even faster, install a LockNLube fitting on your grease gun. Grease goes in the fitting....not around it.

When removing bolts that hold the skid, an impact driver is your friend as well as an order of operations.

-Back one side out enough to get an open end wrench behind the head of the bolt,
-Then try to remove the bolt on the opposite side.
-If it comes out continue, if not tighten the first bolt back down and break the second one loose and start over.
-Go back to the first bolt and see if it will come out with the impact gun, it usually will.
-If it just spins with the cross shaft, put the open end wrench behind the head of the bolt and use some leverage against the tunnel to stop the shaft from spinning with the bolt.

Premium Features