• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

goggle folling problems

Jonathanpitzl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2013
Wabasso mn
just went on a trip to cooke and had a major goggle fogging problem, first 2 days was with a jus a normal face mask and the 3rd day I used a buddies no fog face mask and is seemed to help a little.
any recommendations of gear or tips? I wear oakley aviators. thanks in advance for any info.

sledMXer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Helena, MT
I've been using the same No-Fog facemask since I guided in West Yellowstone back in 05. I have ZERO problems with fogging. I don't even take an extra pair of goggles with me anymore, as I never used them for myself.

I cut the mouth part out with the small holes so it is open so I can breath better. I am not a "face sweater" so I don't fog from that either. Some of my riding buddies are, shall we say... not in the best shape, so they are face sweaters, it doesn't matter what they have.

It won't matter what goggles you have if you sweat that much. But if you are wearing a regular balaclava or just a helmet breathbox, your exhaled breath will usually go right up into your goggles.

A friend of mine got the goggle fan that you can put on the top of the frame, but it didn't seem to work that well. He isn't using it anymore. He got me one too, but I've never even opened the package. I don't need it.

The other thing with the No-Fog mask is that it prevents frostbite on your cheeks. I pull it up enough that it is under the foam of my goggles and I don't have any exposed skin.

http://static1.mfgsupply.com/media/...1/n/o/no-fog_2015_007d_high_performance_1.jpg

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Fogging is a bummer.

Like you, I wear Oakleys -- AirBrakes and crowbars.

I good ventilated helmet can help with goggle fogging.

Another trick is to constantly rotate between two identical pairs. Wear one, when someone stops or gets stuck rotate to the pair you have warming under your hood. The trick with fogging is staying ahead of the curve, keep rotating to the warm goggles and hopefully you won't fog. Remember when your goggles are under the hood to put the outside facing down, so any condensation is on the outside of the lens and you can wipe off when you put them on. Otherwise, condensation will fill the inside of your goggle and you have a problem.

Also, DO NOT wipe a wet Oakley lens on the inside. You will rub off the anti fog coating.

Last edited:
C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
My take on fogging goggles.

I used to go through 3-4 goggles a day, constant fogging issues. Then I wore much lighter base layers, to the point that if I'm not moving I'll get cold in 5-10 mins.

I wear a goretex shell top and bottom. Under that I wear a mid-weight long sleeve top and mid-weight long johns. that is good for me down to -10 C or 14 F. For lunch I bundle up, but when riding I like to be boarder-line cold.

No/little sweat = No FOG.

W

wakeska813

Nov 5, 2011
i have spy snow goggles and the work great. i also wear the klim balaclava which seems to really help with breathing and keep it going down and out. agree with wearing light base layers keeps body heat from rising up into your helmet. only ride with one pair and came off the 509 due to falling apart and fogging up, dual lens help and dont be a "cool" guy and put them around your mirror in your truck as the constant sunlight and heat break down the foam and ruin lens.

S
Sep 2, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I have a pair of 509 Black Ops and they fog like nobody's business! They even fog when it's 50 deg. spring riding. I have yet to make it more than an hour into a ride without switching back to my trusty ol' Dragons. I have a buddy that got the 509 Aviators and had the same problem. He is back in Oakleys and happily not riding into trees in the middle of wide open meadows again!

Sucks that the 509's look so good and cost so much because I am really disappointed in their performance. ?

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Within reason, goggles are all the same, and not the cause of fogging. Poor ventilation of warm, moist air is what causes fogging.

I've been wearing the same combo for 10 years now and never have a fogging problem from 30 to -30

Step 1: Balaclava (I prefer Turtle Fur, YMMV) MAKE SURE YOUR NOSE & MOUTH ARE UNCOVERED

Step 2: NoFog mask or Fog Evader (Gator masks won't cut it). Make sure the metal strip on the nose piece is adjusted to form a good seal

Step 3: Put your helmet on and take a minute to ensure the mask is still in the correct position and that nothing has curled or folded over--more of a long term comfort issue but it could let breath leak upwards

Step 4: Put your goggles on after the helmet

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
Getting goggles not to fog is simply a trial and error. Your setup can be radically different from your buddy next to you with the same helmet/goggle combo because of different shapes of heads.

I run a no-fog mask and while it's kind of a pain I simply don't fog up. This year I bought a new helmet so I was back to trying new combinations of gear to see what worked.

What ever the combination just make sure it keeps the warm air out of your goggles and you're good to go.

JUDGED

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2015
www.judgedgear.com
Here are some basics:
http://www.judgedgear.com/blogs/snowmobile-gear-articles/17252407-prevent-goggle-fogging

Make sure your head is not getting to warm and warming the inside of the goggles. Some also fog the outside of their goggles, so you may need a breathbox, block off or something like a no fog mask or a bala with the box built in. Find out what side your fogging...most likely the inside. Get a gear setup that you do not sweat in. Get either better venting goggles or figure out why yours are not. Make sure you have a solid clean seal around your face.

megs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2012
BC, Canada
Hey guys, try out the Klim Arctic Balaclava. Best one i've ever bought for wearing with goggles. Also check out Smith IOX Turbo fan goggles, they are pricey but have a built in fan and are very similar to the aviators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
IMO the best thing you can do is goggle management. I wear an mx helmet with goggles on quick straps. I wear a loose fitting balaclava. I have several different brands of goggles all with a nose guard. I don't use a breath box. The secret is to keep the goggles cold. I don't put them on until I get moving and get them off and on top of my helmet as soon as I stop. Only down side is cold trail riding, but great in the powder.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Anybody with 509s take out the stupid nose piece!!! I have a No-Fog mask in which I cut out the area with small holes also, helps out tremendously but every once in a while I would still get some fogging. The group I rode with out west had 0 problems all with Oakley goggles and mostly Klim helmets, I look at their goggles, no nose piece, rip mine out haven't had a problem since.

Premium Features