• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good helmet/goggles for backcountry riding

S
Sep 8, 2011
so here's the deal the few times Ive been out riding this year is the first I have really battled goggles fogging continuously so I am wondering if maybe i need to try a new helmet. I have a 4-5 year old 509 helmet paired with 509 stealth goggles and one pair of aviators. It seems like no matter what I do I fog over and my buddies no not. I even bought the little fan that goes in the goggles and it seems to have little to no effect. In years past i never had this problem because I rode mostly in sunny days, this year though i have rode mostly in cloudy days with plenty of snow falling throughout the days so thats how i found this problem. The only thing I can think of is maybe i need a different helmet to allow better airflow through the goggles because the top of the goggles are right up against the top of the opening of the helmet face. Whats a good helmet to get to maybe help this problem? or does anyone have any other ideas? I have tried using a neck balaclava instead of a full, and I try to continuously clean the vents of snow on my goggles, and i have a goggle defroster bag on my sled but I go through goggles too fast it seems before the next pair fogs over.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
whatever helmet that fits best , and i like my occulus goggles ,if they are to much for you the giros or stage goggles are great for a budget

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have a brand new carbon Klim F5 helmet in Large if you are interested. I used it four times and found it was too small for me. I think I'm going to sell it and buy a XL. Nice helmet!

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
We can all recommend products that work for us, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work for you.

To solve the problem you first you have to figure out what the problem actually is. You need to understand what actually causes fogging when wearing goggles. In most cases it is because the goggle is not sealing properly. Regardless, you are getting hot humid air mixing with cold air. Do you sweat a lot?

Are you using a breath box? Some sort of deflector is important on cool days as it helps keep the warm air of your breathing away from the goggles. If you already have one in your helmet it may not be fitting your face properly. You may want to experiment with others. You might also try a Castle Deflector or Klim Arctic balaclava with the breath box built in. These are the easiest to work with. And in most cases seal the best. With your helmet and goggles on look down. Can you see light past your goggles?

There are a lot of options for goggles as well. Do you wear glasses?
People that have issues with sealing often like the Castle Stage goggle. As was already mentioned by mtncat1. They have extended foam around the entire goggle that seals great whether you are wearing glasses or not. This extra foam is also helpful for people that sweat a lot.

5 years is typically the magic number to start thinking about a new helmet. Start trying different brands on. Even if you think your helmet fits great. You might find something that fits 1000X better. Klim, Castle, FXR, HJC, Fly, LS2, Scorpion, Shoei, and the list could go on and on. Just because your buddy wears 509. And the guy in the video wears 509. It doesn't mean that is going to be the best helmet for you. Maybe it is. I'm not there fitting a helmet on you. lol :face-icon-small-ton

To reiterate what Hi Voltage said. I love my Airoh helmet as well. I will say keep in mind that they are very much a thin Italian fit. If you have a big round melon they may not be the helmet for you. And I don't think they are technically imported into the states. There are some floating around, but trying to find one to try on might be difficult. So you are really taking a chance by ordering. You can also easily modify a klim f4 breath box to fit pretty nice in those. :face-icon-small-win

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
F3 helmet and occulus google. You won’t be disappointed

What he said. I’ve been using a 3 year old klim helmet and bought oculus goggles this year and absolutely love the goggles! First goggle I love!

jdrmx

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2013
Eastern SD
A “original no fog balaclava” helps greatly except in extreme snow conditions. You could check out the abom heet goggles also. Im going to try a set of them myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D
Feb 19, 2016
Goggles

I tried Abom (Abominable) Electric goggles and they work so I bought a second pair. Ran them on the 6 hour mode and they worked from 9:00am until 3:30pm.

C
Mar 15, 2018
I also bought some ABOM goggles. Love them. I also added short straps so I can easily pop them off when parked. Short straps are not available for them so i had to improvise. The are pricey but I got a smoking deal from "The warming store" in PA but they only had the ABOM one "ski goggles" and not the snowmobiling "Heet" goggles but the ABOM ones fit well in my BRP helmet.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Fly F2 Carbon Helmet - breath box removed.

Scott Hustler Snocross Goggles.

Klim Arctic or Glacier Balaclava.

Works for me.

R

rockin rmk

Oct 27, 2002
Great Falls MT
I have the same problem. Been through a dozen different google and several helmets. Currently a Klim f5 and Klim googles. Still fog up. Caused from overdressing and getting to hot.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I have the same problem. Been through a dozen different google and several helmets. Currently a Klim f5 and Klim googles. Still fog up. Caused from overdressing and getting to hot.

This guy gets it.

Goggle fogging is often not the helmet/goggle combo. Layer properly and wear good outerwear to maintain body temperature and sweat. If you sweat a lot try to moderate that with layers. Do not wear cotton as it traps moisture. This moisture/heat likes to escape out the neck of the jacket and right into your helmet and goggles.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
This is not actually a cold weather balaclava , they also have a thinner one but it does not have the breath box . Very comfortable since it is warn on the outside of the collar & allow circulation .
klim_glacier_balaclava_black_750x750.jpg

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
This guy gets it.

Goggle fogging is often not the helmet/goggle combo. Layer properly and wear good outerwear to maintain body temperature and sweat. If you sweat a lot try to moderate that with layers. Do not wear cotton as it traps moisture. This moisture/heat likes to escape out the neck of the jacket and right into your helmet and goggles.

Exactly !! "What he said..."

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have an airoh helmet and aboms. Just get aboms. I also heard the 509 inferno work. Get the heated goggles and be done with it. Tried everything and that's the only thing that works.

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
I also bought some ABOM goggles. Love them. I also added short straps so I can easily pop them off when parked. Short straps are not available for them so i had to improvise. The are pricey but I got a smoking deal from "The warming store" in PA but they only had the ABOM one "ski goggles" and not the snowmobiling "Heet" goggles but the ABOM ones fit well in my BRP helmet.

By short straps are you talking about Quick straps? I cannot handle regular straps that go around the helmet. Any pictures of your straps on the goggle?

Premium Features