• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone know anything about the new 5 Watt ROCKY TALKIE ?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Came across this on an ad, curious to know more..

5 Watt GMRS Radio $165.00 ((Seems MIGHTY PRICEY to me))​

5WFlywaterDSC02664[1].jpg

Description
We’re excited to introduce our GMRS radio with IP67 waterproofing, 5 days of battery life, and 5-watts of power for optimal range. This radio is fully compatible with our award-winning FRS Mountain Radio.

Designed and tested in the mountains and rivers of the Colorado Rockies, the radio is rugged with protective rubber padding and a shatterproof LED screen. Each radio is hand-tested to IP67 waterproofing standards (1 meter submersion) and includes a water-shedding design for quick communication in white-water.

The 5 Watt Radio maximizes two critical aspects of a backcountry radio: battery life and range. The radio includes a specialized 1800 mAH battery that achieves around 5 days on a single charge, even in frigid conditions (-20°F). The radio transmits the highest GMRS power (5-watts) permitted under FCC regulations. The max range is over 35 miles, however, 2 to 8 miles is typical in backcountry terrain. For more info on range, please see our range testing video.

Easily attach the 5 Watt Radio to packs and other gear using the integrated steel gator clip (with 360° rotation) and backup leash. The radio is also compatible with our Carabiner Loop Attachment which comes with either the Quantum ultralight climbing carabiner or locking carabiner that we crafted with our local Colorado partner, Trango.

The 5 Watt Radio includes useful features for the backcountry, including access to 11 weather channels and NOAA weather alerts, as well as dual-channel monitoring and transmitting. The radio’s GMRS designation unlocks 8 repeater channels to relay & extend your transmission range, as well as a removable antenna. Each radio comes with a compact and high-performance 7.5cm antenna installed. Pre-orders come with a bonus 17cm long antenna included in the box.

Compatible accessories:
Waterproof Hand Mic – especially popular for Backcountry Skiers
Carabiner Loop Attachment – a modular version of our original Mountain Radio attachment system with an ultralight carabiner or locking carabiner option.
Extra 5 Watt Radio battery - for long trips without charging access
Dash Mount (Coming Soon) – designed with Overlanders in mind

We designed the 5 Watt Radio with specific adventure sports in mind. See our team’s recommended radio by sport here.

Don’t have a GMRS license? No problem, the process is simple and affordable. Checkout our blog post here.

Read about our 2 year warranty and commitment to sustainability. If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to contact us or refer to the FAQ page.

snowpatrol

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Puyallup WA.

View attachment 412747

Description
We’re excited to introduce our GMRS radio with IP67 waterproofing, 5 days of battery life, and 5-watts of power for optimal range. This radio is fully compatible with our award-winning FRS Mountain Radio.

Designed and tested in the mountains and rivers of the Colorado Rockies, the radio is rugged with protective rubber padding and a shatterproof LED screen. Each radio is hand-tested to IP67 waterproofing standards (1 meter submersion) and includes a water-shedding design for quick communication in white-water.

The 5 Watt Radio maximizes two critical aspects of a backcountry radio: battery life and range. The radio includes a specialized 1800 mAH battery that achieves around 5 days on a single charge, even in frigid conditions (-20°F). The radio transmits the highest GMRS power (5-watts) permitted under FCC regulations. The max range is over 35 miles, however, 2 to 8 miles is typical in backcountry terrain. For more info on range, please see our range testing video.

Easily attach the 5 Watt Radio to packs and other gear using the integrated steel gator clip (with 360° rotation) and backup leash. The radio is also compatible with our Carabiner Loop Attachment which comes with either the Quantum ultralight climbing carabiner or locking carabiner that we crafted with our local Colorado partner, Trango.

The 5 Watt Radio includes useful features for the backcountry, including access to 11 weather channels and NOAA weather alerts, as well as dual-channel monitoring and transmitting. The radio’s GMRS designation unlocks 8 repeater channels to relay & extend your transmission range, as well as a removable antenna. Each radio comes with a compact and high-performance 7.5cm antenna installed. Pre-orders come with a bonus 17cm long antenna included in the box.

Compatible accessories:
Carabiner Loop Attachment – a modular version of our original Mountain Radio attachment system with an ultralight carabiner or locking carabiner option.

We designed the 5 Watt Radio with specific adventure sports in mind. See our team’s recommended radio by sport here.

Don’t have a GMRS license? No problem, the process is simple and affordable. Checkout our blog post here.

Read about our 2 year warranty and commitment to sustainability. If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to contact us or refer to the FAQ page.

christopher

View attachment 412747

Description

Compatible accessories:

christopher, yur packing 40k worth of sleds, what's another 165 bucks ?? i have a buddy that uses a 5 watt garmin. that thing is amazing.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I pack 10watt HAM radios.
Just trying to find out if anyone knows anything about this brand.

Always surprised me none of the sled radio companies are willing to touch the 5 Watt legal GMRS option,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I pack 10watt HAM radios.
Just trying to find out if anyone knows anything about this brand.

Always surprised me none of the sled radio companies are willing to touch the 5 Watt legal GMRS option,

I think because it’s only legal for sale in the US.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think because it’s only legal for sale in the US.

But don't you suppose that constitutess the vast majority of their sales?
And if YOU had a choice between a 2watt and a 5watt, WHICH one would you buy?

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
So, refresh my memory. My Baofeng G11 is 3w and I read all GMRS are illegal to use without a license. I always thought thru channel 14 is legal because after that the channels go to 50 watts. I run channels 1-7 sledding because they are 5 watts and 8-14 are .5 watts.

Not that I’m running out to get a license, but the FCC website states nothing about certain channel power levels being the threshold for a license.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
GMRS is allotted 30 frequency channels in the vicinity of 462 MHz and 467 MHz. They are divided into 16 main channels and 14 interstitial channels.[9]

Licensees may use the eight main 462 MHz channels for simplex communication or repeater outputs.[10]

The eight main 467 MHz channels may only be used as repeater inputs,[11] in conjunction with the 462 MHz channels as outputs. The repeater input frequencies are exclusive to GMRS, and may be used only by licensed GMRS operators.

GMRS operators are permitted to transmit at up to 50 watts transmitter power output, on the 16 main channels,[12] but transmitting 1 to 5 watts is more common in practice.

The interstitial frequencies are in-between the main channels, and the 462 MHz interstitial frequencies may be used for simplex as long as the effective radiated power does not exceed 5 watts.[13] The 467 MHz interstitial frequencies have a power limit of 500 milliwatts ERP,[14] and only hand-held portable units may transmit on these channels.[15]

Sharing with FRS​

All 22 Family Radio Service (FRS) frequencies are shared with GMRS, and users of the two services may communicate with each other. With the exception of FRS channels 8 through 14, GMRS licensees may use higher power radios with detachable or external antennas.

2023-12-17_16-40-05.jpg

2023-12-17_16-43-09.jpg

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
GMRS is allotted 30 frequency channels in the vicinity of 462 MHz and 467 MHz. They are divided into 16 main channels and 14 interstitial channels.[9]

Licensees may use the eight main 462 MHz channels for simplex communication or repeater outputs.[10]

The eight main 467 MHz channels may only be used as repeater inputs,[11] in conjunction with the 462 MHz channels as outputs. The repeater input frequencies are exclusive to GMRS, and may be used only by licensed GMRS operators.

GMRS operators are permitted to transmit at up to 50 watts transmitter power output, on the 16 main channels,[12] but transmitting 1 to 5 watts is more common in practice.

The interstitial frequencies are in-between the main channels, and the 462 MHz interstitial frequencies may be used for simplex as long as the effective radiated power does not exceed 5 watts.[13] The 467 MHz interstitial frequencies have a power limit of 500 milliwatts ERP,[14] and only hand-held portable units may transmit on these channels.[15]

Sharing with FRS​

All 22 Family Radio Service (FRS) frequencies are shared with GMRS, and users of the two services may communicate with each other. With the exception of FRS channels 8 through 14, GMRS licensees may use higher power radios with detachable or external antennas.

View attachment 412954

View attachment 412955
Copy. So get a license or get a BCA radio… THX

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Copy. So get a license or get a BCA radio… THX
The license is a total NO BRAINER.
No Test, just pay a fee.
It really should NOT EXIST at all!

My issue is that NONE of the Mountain Radio manufacturers are offering the full 5 watts.
They all stop at 2 watts, and legally they absolutely can go to 5.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020

Sharing with FRS​

View attachment 412954

View attachment 412955
Just
The license is a total NO BRAINER.
No Test, just pay a fee.
It really should NOT EXIST at all!

My issue is that NONE of the Mountain Radio manufacturers are offering the full 5 watts.
They all stop at 2 watts, and legally they absolutely can go to 5.
I totally agree, total BS. I just paid the fee. I’m intrigued by the 5w rockie

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
But don't you suppose that constitutess the vast majority of their sales?
And if YOU had a choice between a 2watt and a 5watt, WHICH one would you buy?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

And thus you offer a HIGH POWER version for sale in the USA and the miserable LOW POWER version for Canadians.
Then all of the Canadians just buy the US Version and all is well.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
And thus you offer a HIGH POWER version for sale in the USA and the miserable LOW POWER version for Canadians.
Then all of the Canadians just buy the US Version and all is well.

Crazy isn’t it.
If I had connections that would ship them to Canada, I would try them but it’s get complicated especially with warranty repairs.
I run a baofeng HP-82 it’s 8 watts on UHF and VHF, it has the FRS and GMRS channels, basically a portable ham radio.
So going to a Low power radio is not amicable.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020

View attachment 412747

Description

Compatible accessories:

I agree, we do spent alot on gear and sled, but for $165, you’d think it comes with the mic, nope…. Another $65…. Then you need two of course… 😂 I’ll see what guys think of them. Seems no matter the radio/mic, one of us is always having radio problems.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I agree, we do spent alot on gear and sled, but for $165, you’d think it comes with the mic, nope…. Another $65…. Then you need two of course… 😂 I’ll see what guys think of them. Seems no matter the radio/mic, one of us is always having radio problems.
Exactly.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Why is it so difficult to determine the wattage when you are shopping.
They tell you it will reach 35 miles, but then in fine print tell you that ain't gonna happen in real life, but no mention of output?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Same with country of origin. I get it, we cannot buy only made in the USA, but that's not my goal. My goal is to buy ZERO from chinah. But damned if you can find that info when shopping?!

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Same with country of origin. I get it, we cannot buy only made in the USA, but that's not my goal. My goal is to buy ZERO from chinah. But damned if you can find that info when shopping?!
I saw this on their website, and it says

“We rely on specialized manufacturing partners in China, Taiwan, and Italy for parts and electronics assembly, and label our products as made in China.

Our team is entirely US based, and we design and hand-test all of our products at our headquarters in Colorado.
they’re sourced parts from Taiwan and some other places and ultimately made in China.”

Sounds pretty typical for most US based companies and it’s pretty sad that it’s the case but it’s the reality these days. And I bet you that if you search around you might find who made them and get the same ones for less money. Not sure about that but usually that is the case with some stuff.

The more I look at them I am pretty intrigued, but it just comes down to the simple principle of the matter that I’m not gonna pay that much money for a walkie-talkie. I just ordered a couple waterproof microphones for cheap on Amazon because I run my Boafeng G 11 S in my backpack and it doesn’t get wet but the microphone needs to be waterproof.

Premium Features