• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garmin Rino "Peer to Peer"

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Does anyone use a Garmin Rino?

How do you like thge peer to peer function where you track the other Rino's ?

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Almost everyone I ride with has one. Should be as necessary as a helmet.

Last edited:

SledGimp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Heber, UT
I have the 520 Hcx and love it, great for locating people that you have setup at the start of your ride. Phatty is correct just hit the talk button and it updates your location on their radio or you can ping an individual that you cannot locate and it will show you where they are.

R
Nov 8, 2008
Citrus Heights, CA
Good timing, I am sitting here right now trying to figure out how to operate this Rino 110 I just got a few hours ago. I was suprised to see how poorly the map function works as it came out of the box. I guess I will have to buy the mapsource, but I don't think anything good will even fit on this little 110. I would like to get a bigger one for me, but want one to put with my wife and one with my daughter in case we get seperated. So i figured I would start with this 110 to check out if they even work when it is cold out, etc. etc. What map programs are people using for backwoods, and how do they work? Thanks

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
As i understand it, it automatically polls anytime you push the talk button. Then you just have to navigate to the tracking feature...

Did you end up getting the 530hcx?

I bought the 530hcx for $285 delivered shipped 3 day Fedex.

Unit is refurbished with 1 year Garmin warranty. Refurbished means everything is new except the main motherboard. Motherboard may have never been defective in the first place. My understanding is the attenae is the weakest spot for the 520-530. Battery, case, connectors, screen all new.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Good timing, I am sitting here right now trying to figure out how to operate this Rino 110 I just got a few hours ago. I was suprised to see how poorly the map function works as it came out of the box. I guess I will have to buy the mapsource, but I don't think anything good will even fit on this little 110. I would like to get a bigger one for me, but want one to put with my wife and one with my daughter in case we get seperated. So i figured I would start with this 110 to check out if they even work when it is cold out, etc. etc. What map programs are people using for backwoods, and how do they work? Thanks

Just letting you know the best resolution (I know of) is 1:24000 which is nicknamed 24K.

You can download 24k maps from the USGS and I downloaded for free long ago but not sure if your unit has features exclusive to Garmin software.

I ordered the Garmin 24K Topo U.S. West DVD part number 010-11314-00 for $95 delivered.
Never used it before but this software will do as any TOPO software plus navigate like in City Navigator software. City Navigator is "locked" software. Plus I can have 3-D rendering like in Google Earth.
24K Topo U.S. West DVD is "unlocked" so can download to as many GPS units as needed.

So I will load the DVD on PC transfer what I need to a micro SD and use in any 530Hcx.

If you buy Garmin data on a chip you cannot upload the map off the chip ... that's why a DVD is best for me IMHO.

Garmin's TOPO U.S. 24K West DVD brings you the highest level of topographic detail available, with maps comparable to 1:24,000 scale USGS maps. These highly detailed maps on DVD include terrain contours, topo elevations, summits, routable roads and trails, parks, coastlines, rivers, lakes and geographical points — and they also display 3-D terrain shading on compatible devices. With routable roads and trails in metropolitan and rural areas, getting to your destination is easy by creating point-to-point routes on compatible units. Compatible with Garmin Astro, Colorado, Oregon, Edge 605, Edge 705, Legend C, Legend HCX, Vista C, Vista HCX, 276C, 376, 378, 478, 60C, 60CX, 60CS, 60CSX, 620, 640, 76C, 76CX, 76CSX, Nuvi 500, Nuvi 550, Rino 520HCX, Rino 530HCX.

Last edited:
T
Nov 18, 2003
Reno Nevada
we use rinos hunting and they work great for keeping track of each other. They are junk radios and not very good gps'. but for the peer to peer they are awsome. What we have started doing is using the rinos just to keep track and using motorola radios to talk. Kind of a PIA but that works best so far. Granted, I have a 130 and the rest of the guys have 120's so the range is not there.

Chris

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Nice Don, I have a Rino 120 I use sometimes. Looks like it will help us find you this season when you get stuck somewhere ;)

Ha Ha Ha .... aint that the truth !!! and I appreciate the help !!!

Boy too many lenses to keep clean. I am so close get lasik but wimp out when I see the video of the lens slice.

I have the Topo West on DVD if you need data to see it.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
we use rinos hunting and they work great for keeping track of each other. They are junk radios and not very good gps'. but for the peer to peer they are awsome. What we have started doing is using the rinos just to keep track and using motorola radios to talk. Kind of a PIA but that works best so far. Granted, I have a 130 and the rest of the guys have 120's so the range is not there.

Chris

Do you know the guys before you go riding or is there a "standard channel" in your area?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Chris

harsh words.
Is your 130 REALLY that poor?

Do you think the 530s are just as poor performers?

I have been planning on purchasing a pair of them for my son and I.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
harsh words.
Is your 130 REALLY that poor?

Do you think the 530s are just as poor performers?

I have been planning on purchasing a pair of them for my son and I.

I have researched this and yes ... you would be better off buying a pure GPS 60CSX and an entry level commercial two way radio where you can jack up the watts. But you have to get a license ... (suppose to for FRMS) and buy the chips/channels you want to be on.

Basically it can be the same radios the forest service / police use.

But a new GPS 60csx cost $280 and a refurbished rino 530HCX cost $285.

Now you need two way radios which cost .... junk is $50 -100 and the good stuff is $200-$400 for each radio.

The rino does .5 to 5 watts and I think 2 watts in Canada. You can get a commercial radio to go up to 100 watts. Not sure what the "legal" limit is for handheld wattage (pretty sure it is 5 watts) but you will get more range on a dedicated radio.

I know of no "cheaper" way to get the peer to peer for the cost of a good/great GPS unit like the 60csx

I think getting a better "range" from any radio requires a better antenna.

In fact I will go on record and say an antenna is one of the best if not very best way to upgrade a radio to get better range.

On a perfect day mountain peak to mountain peak the range of 5 watts is about 20 miles ... and in buildings at best 25 floors or 300,000 square feet.

Of course there is gonna be someone on here who bounced off the atmosphere and broadcasted ONCE fdor a 1000 miles.

Last edited:

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Don, Get Lasik, you wont regret it for a second and wish you had done it sooner!

I just bought the 530hcx. Garmin has a $50 rebate till Sept 30, so i paid $300 for a brand new one. I have been wanting one for a long long time!

And do some research on the internet, there are ways to turn up the watts on the 530... illegally of course, but hey who is out there checking? :rolleyes:

F
Nov 26, 2007
Don, Get Lasik, you wont regret it for a second and wish you had done it sooner!

I just bought the 530hcx. Garmin has a $50 rebate till Sept 30, so i paid $300 for a brand new one. I have been wanting one for a long long time!

And do some research on the internet, there are ways to turn up the watts on the 530... illegally of course, but hey who is out there checking? :rolleyes:

Boy if you can tell me where to go to figure out how to up the power lead me
astray !!!:D

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think getting a better "range" from any radio requires a better antenna.

In fact I will go on record and say an antenna is one of the best if not very best way to upgrade a radio to get better range..

You are 100% Correct.
As a "Ham operator" (KE7QKB) , I have my trusty ICOM IC-92AD D-Star handheld which is quite capable with the right antenta of reaching out and touching another similar radio at a good distance.

The Antena that comes on the 530 is POOR at best, and so far as I know, there is no way to alter it.??

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
You are 100% Correct.
As a "Ham operator" (KE7QKB) , I have my trusty ICOM IC-92AD D-Star handheld which is quite capable with the right antenta of reaching out and touching another similar radio at a good distance.

The Antena that comes on the 530 is POOR at best, and so far as I know, there is no way to alter it.??

I do not know how to alter it BUT I know a guy who knows a guy "STORY" where he removed the to insulation where the two antennas are and installed an antenna jack.

It is a military story about things to do when you're bored in the gonzo.

Maybe if I wrapped my helmet up with aluminum foil or put foil all over my arm when I use it ???

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
I have had the 110 and it is a big POS did not pick up sats alot seem the guy who bought it said the antenna wire inside cam off..

I now have a 530 and it works great gps is awsome have the topo map and that is great can see the peaks and how high they are --NO COMPLANTS

the two way works great but im looking for a mic for it"anyone?"

Premium Features