• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Float Air pressure?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
How much air are fox floats (with canister) suposed to have? Mine are clearly really low since half the travel is gone (sled hasnt been touched since last winter). Front and rear?

2007 M8

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I like my fronts in the 60's and the rear at 105 but, I have the GEO mod done. I do see you have the canisters and that should make the shock smoother. I think the rear without the GEO mod was 135ish, if I remember correctly.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Depends on your weight. Heavier riders need more air to hold the sled up than lighter riders do. I weigh 270 and run 80 in the front and 145-150 in the rear.

Canisters will not make a difference of what initial air pressure you put in them. They just provide more air volume so that the pressure does not build as fast when the shock is compressed. If you had a dual rate spring setup on a coil shock, the initial air pressure you put in is like the rate of the first spring and adding a canister is like decreasing the rate of the main spring.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I like my fronts in the 60's and the rear at 105 but, I have the GEO mod done. I do see you have the canisters and that should make the shock smoother. I think the rear without the GEO mod was 135ish, if I remember correctly.

How mug do you weigh? And I just got this sled how can I tell if the geo mod is done to it?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Depends on your weight. Heavier riders need more air to hold the sled up than lighter riders do. I weigh 270 and run 80 in the front and 145-150 in the rear.

Canisters will not make a difference of what initial air pressure you put in them. They just provide more air volume so that the pressure does not build as fast when the shock is compressed. If you had a dual rate spring setup on a coil shock, the initial air pressure you put in is like the rate of the first spring and adding a canister is like decreasing the rate of the main spring.

Hmm that's interesting I had no idea the canisters worked like that. Good to know that thanks!

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
The geo mod was drilling another hole in the rear mounting bracket that was forward and up a little from the initial hole, the lower leg stops were moved forward a little also. This gave the rear arms a little bit of forward tip and with the change in geometry it alowed you run less air pressure in the shock. Boondocker explained the downside of the air shock, so this mod was kind of a band aid to give you a softer shock and still not hit bottom. The canisters help. Set the pressure so you have a couple inches of sag when you get on.

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Im light but like a stiff ride as I ride trails hard. Front are 125psi and my rears are coiled as I like it better for my all around riding. Front end is a bit stiff but once you start hitting 20 footers your arms and shoulders will thank you.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Also keep in mind - it is possible a seal inside the shock has let air pressure go to the other side and the shock will be partially collapsed, something like that.

Go to Fox's site and watch some of their tutorials on how to rebuild a shock and they talk about being careful about pressure where it shouldn't be.

I can't say for sure, but if you put any amount of air pressure in shock when there is no load on it, it should fully extend.??

Premium Features