• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Flyweight Expert

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Lightweight gas and a monster sticker
I'm convinced, I'm only running oxygenated fuel because it has to be lighter, but instead of the monster sticker, I'll put a bud LITE sticker on, and if I put it on the snow flap it will be at the furthest point from the pivot point to make maximum effect. My sled is going to rip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
monster stickers and rockstar stickers. at least the people that think those are cool should be getting a kickback for all that free advertising they do. use that cash for some lightweight parts...

T
Aug 8, 2011
Lol
You guys are insane.

By the same logic, adding 50 lbs to the belly pan on these sleds wouldn’t make a tiny darn bit of difference?? I want what you are smokin...
I’m in sound physical condition and push the sled to the outter reaches of its ability, and if it was lighter it would be better. Period. It’s less mass to have to make change directions, less to make go up the hill, less to land when it leaves the ground, and easier to get the sled to recover onto the snow again after a mistake, hole that eats momentum, soft spot etc.
You better believe Burandt has a reason to continually push the weight down in these sleds...it allows him to keep elevating the game. There is always another tougher line to do. We don’t have anyone doing that on the doo front.
So let’s get some reasonable ideas together and do it.

Jake

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Doo has given up on being the lightest mountain sled. I am ok with that as long as the 850 motor holds together and performs well.

Now, if they would just work on updating that antique rear suspension and the track’s attack angle.

It would be nice to get a straighter steering post too so we do not have to mod the sled with the Skinz post-forward brackets.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Lol
You guys are insane.

By the same logic, adding 50 lbs to the belly pan on these sleds wouldn’t make a tiny darn bit of difference?? I want what you are smokin...
I’m in sound physical condition and push the sled to the outter reaches of its ability, and if it was lighter it would be better. Period. It’s less mass to have to make change directions, less to make go up the hill, less to land when it leaves the ground, and easier to get the sled to recover onto the snow again after a mistake, hole that eats momentum, soft spot etc.
You better believe Burandt has a reason to continually push the weight down in these sleds...it allows him to keep elevating the game. There is always another tougher line to do. We don’t have anyone doing that on the doo front.

Jake
All joking aside, I couldn't agree more. Weight is weight and less is ALWAYS better regardless of where it disappears from. Yes, there are different locations to take weight off that makes more of a difference than others but weight is still and always will be weight. The more you have, the more work is needed to maneuver and get up the hill. Rotational weight has different effects than dead weight and so forth also. If I was filthy rich, my doo would weigh like 300 lbs full of fluids or less and it would be fantastic!! Instead, my budget is eat one less burrito in the morning and use my removeable snow flap (which I made out of dzus fasteners like a guy on here did because I didn't have the $100+ to buy the doo one) for weight savings for now.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
For NHRoadking , maybe the Lynx skid will eventually come over here .1587614976632.png

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
why are the euro brp sleds equipped with a significantly different skid design for a snowmobile with the same intended use as the US version?
anyone here with experience on both?

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
The selling point is a better riding skid .
Doo's ditch bangers are a little similar to the Lynx .
Probably some attorneys draw the line between the two .
American superiority mentality takes a back seat to what a lot of the other countries have .
They have used this style of skid for a while now , it's been proven in other manufactures and the extra weight that it had was what has killed it in the past .
The less is better has blinded the majority and they are paying more for better .
The Lynx Xterrain Brutal video is a good one too .

X
Oct 8, 2009
Lol
You guys are insane.

Jake
Given your response, you obviously did not absorb what was implied. Your 50 pound belly pan is a significant amount of weight that is not located at the center of pivot. That is physics...of course you would feel that. Furthermore, no sled can feasibly be constructed to centralize mass 100 percent. It would be equivalent to a piece of sand and you could not ride it. The example was given as a way for people with questions to understand how manipulating weight distribution across a chassis will impact how the sled responds since costs can vary significantly by part. To be clear, momentum in the sense you are using is a singular direction vector only. Angular moment in the context of inertia is about an axis. Obviously, I could have made the example so complicated everyone was confused. But, the simple example conveys what is needed.

The discussion previously was about how to prioritize weight loss by part to maximize ones budget. Facing no constaints, every pound lost increases power to weight, which affects momentum in a singular direction and inertia if only if it resides at a distance from the center of pivot. Saying what Burdant does or does not do is not useful in this context since he is not facing the same resource constraints as the average rider. If you want different results from what exist in the market, there are ways for you to do it. You will probably require engineering help from someone like me. But, the odds are you wont spend the money or the time that it takes to develop, test, and realize a product.

Last edited:
B
Feb 18, 2009
I am not trying to lighten my Doo so that really doesn't matter to me but you probably can't believe this but I don't like the Axys. My son has one and I really don't like it. I'd rather ride my G4 all day long even at 30 or so pounds heavier. Haven't ridden an 850 Axys and it may ride differently than the 18' and older models but I really tried to like it....I just didn't.

I couldn't agree more on the Axys. Buddy has one and a can't stand it. I'd go back to a XM before I would own an Axys.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Very poor analogy! Why exactly do you hang out in the Skidoo forum anyways? You are like the guy that acts straight but likes banging other guys...

Did I hit a nerve? Unfortunately it is NOT a poor analogy. I like all sled brands and would consider going back to Doo if they would take weight reduction seriously as I am patriotic and would like to support a Canadian company.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Did I hit a nerve? Unfortunately it is NOT a poor analogy. I like all sled brands and would consider going back to Doo if they would take weight reduction seriously as I am patriotic and would like to support a Canadian company.

To consider is not to buy regardless of where you hail from. In all the years I have been a rider, I know as good as any that each brand has a cult following that berates others according to the marketing campaign. Don't water down your response, you have an opinion...great.

Given your opinion, what is your height and weight?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
To consider is not to buy regardless of where you hail from. In all the years I have been a rider, I know as good as any that each brand has a cult following that berates others according to the marketing campaign. Don't water down your response, you have an opinion...great.

Given your opinion, what is your height and weight?

6' 2" and 175 lbs. so I don't want a big sled or big girl. But did ride 30ish years on Doo and loved all of them. Just found something better for my style of riding.

B
Feb 18, 2009
Nope, never been with a fat chick not even drunk... But I don't hang out in forums of other brands and bash the brand and people who ride them. Incredibly childish and disrespectful behavior if you ask me!

Premium Features