• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

96 Ultra RMK 680 Hood & Seat

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Scored a 96 RMK Ultra 680 that seems quite the runner last night. Got an new tunnel, 155 2.7 track, rails etc to install with it, Walker Evans underneath etc. Finish (clear coat) of the hood looks about shot. Debating on repainting it at the body shop I work with a total 90's style paint scheme or trying to find a stock or aftermarket hood that is clean. Anyone know where I can find one of those?

Also back then I think Boss was building lightweight snowmobile seats. While I think the stock one is still clean and not ripped. You know it's just a matter of time no to mention the seat foam probably is not the greatest. To recover them and redo the seat foam often changes the contour and the covering is usually not very well made. The fuel tank is integrated to them. I see Boss stopped at the Edge chasis and in fact going to their site shows they are not processing orders right now due to circumstances in a big not at the top of the page. Anyone know of a good source to find a clean aftermarket one to upgrade so to speak?

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Hmmmm Interesting

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I put an IQ or pro seat on mine for a couple years. Fabbed up my own raised mount that went over the coolers and then it just sat on the tank up front. I shouldve left it like that but I got a new sled and decided to take the ultra mod back to period correct mods for nostalgia. They just look goofy with newer seats imo. I run mine once a year in spring and its a bear to keep cool on the way in. I still have stock extended tunnel though. For the hoods I completely gut them, the gauges are worthless, even stripped the voltage regulator out of the wiring and have no accessories, its just a spring mod for me. I put a mechanical temp gage on the head where the stock sensor threads in to keep an eye on. Cut the hole in the hood where the gage pod was a little larger and rivet in a piece of plexi-glass. removed the steel hinges and use edge hood ties from nose cone to hood in front. Can just toss hood to side to work on it, the hoods are not all that heavy when they are gutted.
Have fun, listen for the whistling water pump and keep an eye on the weep hole. Throw the oil injection and the airbox in the dump, get a plug and run K/N style filters imo. Ive built two and used to run them in over hood pow. You gonna roll the chaincase?

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I put an IQ or pro seat on mine for a couple years. Fabbed up my own raised mount that went over the coolers and then it just sat on the tank up front. I shouldve left it like that but I got a new sled and decided to take the ultra mod back to period correct mods for nostalgia. They just look goofy with newer seats imo. I run mine once a year in spring and its a bear to keep cool on the way in. I still have stock extended tunnel though. For the hoods I completely gut them, the gauges are worthless, even stripped the voltage regulator out of the wiring and have no accessories, its just a spring mod for me. I put a mechanical temp gage on the head where the stock sensor threads in to keep an eye on. Cut the hole in the hood where the gage pod was a little larger and rivet in a piece of plexi-glass. removed the steel hinges and use edge hood ties from nose cone to hood in front. Can just toss hood to side to work on it, the hoods are not all that heavy when they are gutted.
Have fun, listen for the whistling water pump and keep an eye on the weep hole. Throw the oil injection and the airbox in the dump, get a plug and run K/N style filters imo. Ive built two and used to run them in over hood pow. You gonna roll the chaincase?
Changed the plan. (For Now) Got there expecting that the track would be shot and it was in great shape, looked almost new, looking over the sled and while she needs some TLC overall. The pile of parts that came with it for a 2022 RMK 155 Pro 850 just seem to valuable to hack up and try to put Frankenstein's baby together. I'm deciding instead to keep the Ultra fairly stock form but hoods got no cracks, seats faded but decent shape. Slapped on a set of Grippers I got from a friend on the cheap last night to replace the C&A pros. New low 5' windshield and oil pump came in from Ebay yesterday.

Hood has no cracks, clear coat on the hood is shot, that's OK, I work at a body shop and know a guy that can refinish it for me. Got another set of hinges and hood reinforcement plate on its way to hopefully fix the alignment of the hood when opening and closing. I found reproduction graphics for $100 on ebay that should be here any day. I'll get the seat looked at by a local custom upholsterer to see what he can do. Rail bumpers on their way since the last owner removed them. I also managed to find an ignition switch and key, (currently always on). LED headlight on it's way cause I just seem to recall the stock one on my cousins XLT kinda sucked at night.

Has 2022 low Handlebars and riser on it but also has the old bars with the controls, heaters etc. Got new grips on the way and I'll transfer everything over to the new bars.

Grabbed the oil injection system and tank first thinking just to have it on hand after stumbling across it for $20. Thinking it over which to do. I may actually put the oil injection back in it simply because it will be my wifes first ever sled and if she doesn't want to ride it, I'll ride it more here in the Black Hills, which has a lot of trails. That way I don't have to worry about having to run back to the trailer to gas up with premix once a day. The ultra would be more trail friendly than my 23 165 Pro Boost here and I can save that for heavy snow days, night rides and going to Big Horns and other places. On the flip side, Could carry a quart on the sled and mix at fillip (not really benefiting from weight reduction of tossing the unit. However, fuel on the trail I think will be a shocker for price this year vs in Rapid or any small town, also saw lots of posts on FB local ATV group. Lots of machines heading back limping after filling up at small town/trail stations this year. Are the oil injectors known to be problematic where I would risk burndown?

1668765051920.png
1668765096471.png

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
looks pretty clean, i like the bars. never had an issue with the oil injector on these, i just like the weight savings and clean under the hood look. If its piped it wont be very enjoyable for your wife but you will like it. Sounds like you're gonna 'todd clynne' it up a bit, thats cool, i agree, not worth hacking up. Make sure the previous owner didnt gear it down too low, if ya want some tuning advise hit me up, i poured my soul into my first ultra.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Would love some tuning tips and I know it’s geared down but not sure down to what. I’m pulling clutches tomorrow to disassemble and inspect. Pulling carbs and going through them. And pulling the chain case cover will probably be next after the clutches. Been looking for some decent jetting charts. Betting I have to run the PTO side carb a bit richer but not sure how much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features