• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FIRST TO RIDE... PT-II ...2013 PRO RMK DEMO RIDE THIS MORNING... WOOOO HOOOO!!

TOlsen

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Martin City, MT
I was able to ride the 13 Pro at the 1:30pm demo in Seeley Lake on Saturday. Had a great (although short) time. The staff was great. A few thoughts from a heavy(290lbs geared up), perpetual mediocre rider.
First thing I noticed, boards are much stiffer then my 12, big plus for me. Appear they will clean out better as well, traction was good.

The power to the track is noticeably better, not earth shattering, but better. The reps mentioned that Polaris again changed injectors as well as engine management and tweeks to the monoblock. Perhaps this combined with the more efficient(there words) belt drive made the power difference. Speaking of belt drive, looked clean and simple. I'm no engineer, but it seemed to work great.

I really liked the seat, plenty big enough, more comfy then 12 stock to sit when needed, out of the way when not. Kill switch is better positioned for me, I am always hitting mine (big gut)now.

As far as technical aspects of riding, sidehilling, down hill turns, etc., given my ability(or lack there of,) poor snow conditions, short amount of seat time, seemed about the same(easiest sled to ride ever.)

Don't know if all this ads up to more money out my pocket this year, as I have a 12, but if I were in the market, no brainier.

cwbyup_22

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Park City, MT
How is the new seat? I am not too crazy about them making it wider, I really like the fact that it is shorter but one of the things I love about the PRO is how narrow it feels when you stand on it, I am not exactly a tall guy and when I stand on the running boards there is nothing rubbing on my legs like on some other sleds. Is the new seat that much wider or is not really noticable?

TOlsen

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Martin City, MT
How is the new seat? I am not too crazy about them making it wider, I really like the fact that it is shorter but one of the things I love about the PRO is how narrow it feels when you stand on it, I am not exactly a tall guy and when I stand on the running boards there is nothing rubbing on my legs like on some other sleds. Is the new seat that much wider or is not really noticable?

The seat is wider at the rear(similar to switchback seat,) but is sculpted narrower at the front. When standing in typical riding position, don't notice the seat at all. Seems to me it was just a hair lower over all, very easy to maneuver around.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Didn't notice the wideness of the seat too be a negative at all. I'm not big (145lbs), and i thought the width was great. More firm than a 2012.

Shorter Seat length was a big issue for me. I loved it. Never kicked it once. Never knew it was there.
You taller guys will never know it's there until you want too suit down.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
gear ratio is 21/44 i do believe. I think i posted it on BCR when i got home. distance from eye to eye is the same as current chaincase. Also belt drive is not offered on the assaults.

Best way is to compare by riding 2013, then switching to 2012 then back to 2013. You can feel the refinements in the chassis working for you.

Shocks on 2013 are 1/2" shorter eye to eye, but have the same stroke. Super disappointed in that one because i wont be able to bring my exit shocks on to the 2013. Never got a solid answer on A-arms being able to bolt up.

I can tell you i missed the 2013 on my ride Saturday...

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
gear ratio is 21/44 i do believe. I think i posted it on BCR when i got home. distance from eye to eye is the same as current chaincase. Also belt drive is not offered on the assaults.

Best way is to compare by riding 2013, then switching to 2012 then back to 2013. You can feel the refinements in the chassis working for you.

Shocks on 2013 are 1/2" shorter eye to eye, but have the same stroke. Super disappointed in that one because i wont be able to bring my exit shocks on to the 2013. Never got a solid answer on A-arms being able to bolt up.

I can tell you i missed the 2013 on my ride Saturday...

Mathematically that ratio does not work with the CtoC distance. Did you actually count both sprockets? My guess is you counted the upper and knew the FB bottom was 44. The first picture shown in the FB release was likely a flat lander ratio from what I've been able to count and deduce from crunching numbers. (see post number 78 in this thread) I might be off a tooth or two but I counted and measured off the ones I couldn't actually see, so I'm pretty positive I'm in the money ratio's wise. I hope they offer more than one as by all appearances they showed the flatlander ratio in the Face book photo but it is way too high to be what you all rode. Which likely was the 21/49 for 2.333:1.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
phatty, as far as laying the sled over on it's side, was there a big difference on the ease of doing so, compared to a 2012. I guess why I'm asking is because I had a sled with a belt drive and it was the easiest sled to lay over that I ever rode. There were some other factors involved but I did everything at once so I wasn't sure which made what. If it is that much easier I'm getting one for my wife.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
yeah the shorter shocks is a big bummer. i have way too much into the damn revalves and piggy backs to have that go out the window. i guess the rear shocks will still transfer over. thanks for the info.

pv

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Looks to me like the Polaris engineers don't ride with children ever. I have four with the youngest two riding with me on my sled when they go. Sorry, but the mountain strap is actually a handle for your kids and you just put the kill switch under their right hand. I see lots of bad things in the future for this design. Great in theory but not in application. Just my opinion since I am sure I am the only one who has a child ride with them occasionally.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Looks to me like the Polaris engineers don't ride with children ever. I have four with the youngest two riding with me on my sled when they go. Sorry, but the mountain strap is actually a handle for your kids and you just put the kill switch under their right hand. I see lots of bad things in the future for this design. Great in theory but not in application. Just my opinion since I am sure I am the only one who has a child ride with them occasionally.

I am pretty sure this is the least of their worries. I don't remember, but I thought there was a sticker on mine that had a "No Multiple Riders" circle with a slash through it.

S
Dec 26, 2011
MN
I'm just saying guys, I've seen some pretty crappy things done to folks sleds, and other property is all. It's not about having faith in "humanity," it just looks like one more thing susceptible to vandalism. The idea of someone cutting your drive belt is not a dumb reason for a cover, it's a great reason! How cheap would something like that cost? Mere dollars per sled? I mean, why not have one?

Also, anybody saying, "That's just a dumb reason to put a cover on it. They could cut ANYTHING in the engine..." Is not thinking straight.

That's the same logic as saying, "Why close my garage door, or, lock the doors while I'm gone? If they want something, they'll just take it anyway." Yet I doubt you sleep with the doors to your home open, your shop doors rolled all the way up with the lights on at night, and leave your keys in the car parked on a busy street.

We lock and cover things so that if someone DOES decide they want what I have, or for some reason, really want to tear up a piece of property, they can inflict MINIMAL damage. I'd rather pay an extra $15 bones ontop of the total price of a sled then buying a whole new drive belt at what is sure to be more then the cost of a piece of stamped aluminum, with 4-5 bolts. And don't forget about replacing "anything else" a vandal might damage through his journey of mayhem that is mine, or anyone else's sled.

In regards to the comment of, "It would be easier to cut your track off than open up a side panel and cut this drive belt."

Panels come off relatively easy, and a drive belt is what, 1/10th the width of a track? I'll race you, I try cutting that drive belt, and you try sawing the track in half, and we'll see who wins. Tracks are tuff as hell to cut off. If you don't believe me, take a utility knife to one and see how long it takes you to cut one clean across, have fun! :face-icon-small-hap

I would say you are a perfect candidate to make this, and sell it in the aftermarket, if it's the one thing everyone should have, you should not have a problem selling 1000's of them.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Mathematically that ratio does not work with the CtoC distance. Did you actually count both sprockets? My guess is you counted the upper and knew the FB bottom was 44. The first picture shown in the FB release was likely a flat lander ratio from what I've been able to count and deduce from crunching numbers. (see post number 78 in this thread) I might be off a tooth or two but I counted and measured off the ones I couldn't actually see, so I'm pretty positive I'm in the money ratio's wise. I hope they offer more than one as by all appearances they showed the flatlander ratio in the Face book photo but it is way too high to be what you all rode. Which likely was the 21/49 for 2.333:1.

Straight from the engineers mouth. 21/44 for 2.09 which is close to the 2.10 it is on the 2012. Polaris will not offer any other sizes. Im sure the after market will jump right on producing different sizes.

The 2013 lays over much easier than the chaincase sled. and its a easy steady layover. smooth all the way through.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Did polaris say why they won't be putting the belt drive on the Assaults for 2013?

They said it was because of the ability to have different gear ratios.
The belt drive is what it is for next year. Eventually they will have the ability for different gears but not now. The assaults are getting a chaincase to have the ability to change gear ratios next year.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I am pretty sure this is the least of their worries. I don't remember, but I thought there was a sticker on mine that had a "No Multiple Riders" circle with a slash through it.

Funny, that was the first thing I removed from sled. :face-icon-small-ton

But seriously, that will be in an issue that they are overlooking. Idea is to have as few issues as possible, right? Just putting it out there in the hopes that somebody from Polaris might actually say, "Oh...right. I see how that could be a problem. Let's see if there is any other placement options.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
phatty, as far as laying the sled over on it's side, was there a big difference on the ease of doing so, compared to a 2012. I guess why I'm asking is because I had a sled with a belt drive and it was the easiest sled to lay over that I ever rode. There were some other factors involved but I did everything at once so I wasn't sure which made what. If it is that much easier I'm getting one for my wife.

YES, very noticeable. I jumped back and forth on a narrow set stance assault and the 2013. VERY NOCTICEABLE for me.

Anthony (ridinforfun ?) was with me on Saturday and I got a sweet helmet cam shot of him LAYING IT OVER on hard pack and it came out and stood RIGTH BACK UP again. It was a SWEET hook turn.

Did polaris say why they won't be putting the belt drive on the Assaults for 2013?

I'm going to guess the RMSHA guys want to be able to change gears, so if they want that option, they can buy the Assault.

Premium Features