• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

first time riding out west, gear questions, help !

RyanC111

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2013
Bozeman, MT
That camelback you have will last about 12 minutes before the straw tube freezes up. Find them useless, better off with a bottle of some type in the backpack or under seat bag. You have a pretty good list and the right attitude.

I actually prefer a camelback as I find that if I have one I'll drink more than if I need to get at a water bottle in my pack or tunnel bag. That being said, freezing the tube up is a real concern and once it's frozen you're done. I get around it by blowing the water back in to the reservoir after I'm done drinking. After many years in the Colorado backcountry it's worked well for me.

I always have a backup water bottle somewhere just in case. Enjoy your trip, it will be a blast.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
If it's snowing make sure you take a hat or beanie, take your helmut off once and get your hair wet with snow and you'll be fighting your goggles the rest of the day. Put your goggles in the engine compartment when you stop if they are getting wet, nothing like putting on a nice warm pair when you get ready to ride. I always take a pair of "digging" gloves. Keeps your riding ones dry. If you don't own one I'd buy a tunnel bag, I don't like to carry anything in my back pack but a shovel with a saw in the handle. Nothing wears me out faster than lugging 20lbs on my back all day that the sled could carry.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
If it's snowing make sure you take a hat or beanie, take your helmut off once and get your hair wet with snow and you'll be fighting your goggles the rest of the day. Put your goggles in the engine compartment when you stop if they are getting wet, nothing like putting on a nice warm pair when you get ready to ride. I always take a pair of "digging" gloves. Keeps your riding ones dry. If you don't own one I'd buy a tunnel bag, I don't like to carry anything in my back pack but a shovel with a saw in the handle. Nothing wears me out faster than lugging 20lbs on my back all day that the sled could carry.
The downside to a most everything in a tunnel bag is if you lose your sled down a ravine or in the water there goes the things you may need to stay alive. I have the following. In the summer I keep the saw in the wheeler.
http://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-us/shop/accessories/storage-bags/2879090/
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/snobu...bZr14O9YR84_QoyQcS63zLIM45jNufFaEcaAjXz8P8HAQ

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
I love my Swany full leather gloves. They are the go to gloves if anyone in our group gets cold. Which leaves me with my grip warmers on high and my back-up gloves on:)

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I love my Swany full leather gloves. They are the go to gloves if anyone in our group gets cold. Which leaves me with my grip warmers on high and my back-up gloves on:)
I carry a pair of heavy insulated goretex leather ski gloves for the ride out or cold hands, but during the day they suck.
2-3 pairs of lightweight gloves of your choice without insulation or extra liners IMO is the best bet. With handwarmwers you don't need heavy gloves.
Think insulated mechanix gloves or any of the similar riding gloves.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Driving all the way from NY, if you can spare it, I'd try to take a day or 2 "acclimating" on my sled, in the area. Have a little riding under your belt before chris leads you off into the back country.
Idk how much deep snow riding you've done vs trail riding, but if you're mostly trails, some time brushing up on sidehills and powder turns before the big rides w burandt would be good.
If you're flyin in and renting from birandt then scratch that.

coolm7cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2008
Montana
Driving all the way from NY, if you can spare it, I'd try to take a day or 2 "acclimating" on my sled, in the area. Have a little riding under your belt before chris leads you off into the back country.
Idk how much deep snow riding you've done vs trail riding, but if you're mostly trails, some time brushing up on sidehills and powder turns before the big rides w burandt would be good.
If you're flyin in and renting from birandt then scratch that.

X2. Altitude sickness is not fun to have. Takes awhile to get over it.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
The downside to a most everything in a tunnel bag is if you lose your sled down a ravine or in the water there goes the things you may need to stay alive.

Heck if it goes I'm going with it, couldn't bare living without it:) It's my reason to LIVE!!!

But a very true point for those of you who could take the separation.

Last edited by a moderator:
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Any suggestions for a water bottle? anybody have luck with a particular brand or style? Thanks

I just buy bottled water. The cheap bottles smash down to almost nothing for packing them out.
1 or 2 in the backpack, 1 or 2 in the sled. If tunnel bag is over the coolers they won't freeze.
Or since you'll be in CO, Coors light is like sex in a canoe.....fckin near water! But I usually pack Miller lite!

Don't freak too much about the altitude thing, unless you've had bad experience in the past. It doesn't affect a lot of people.
Used to drive out to CO to ski, from Chicago, and I can say our preparations for altitude involved mostly heavy drinking (not water). The ill affects were about the same as a normal hangover! Lol

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I agree that the store bought bottles crumple up nicely and take less space when empty but I've had a few that have gotten punctured and leaked, but these were on my sled. In a backpack it wouldn't be as much of a concern.

I just carry the Nalgen 32oz bottles. Very tough and in a pinch you can melt snow in them by placing them on a warm surface (I've tested that on a wood burning stove) or maybe over a fire (untested theory).

Last edited:

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Any suggestions for a water bottle? anybody have luck with a particular brand or style? Thanks
Definitely buy brand name disposable bottled water, with full size caps. Eg. Dasani, Aquafina, SmartWater, etc. The cheap, thin plastic, thin cap, water bottles tend to leak. I've got lots of first hand experience with this...

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
Besides the water intake before the trip when you get there you may want to refrain from alcohol as it will work against the water consumption. I'm not familiar with the pants you are looking at but I like my built in knee pads. Slip ons under your pants work fine as well. I know a lot of guys use dirt bike shin guards also. You'll be bounced around from terrain and be moving side to side A LOT and if you come down wrong you'll find those foot rail's very hard and sharp.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

J
Nov 26, 2016
hey guys, my new 509 altitude carbon fiber helmet came the other day and I was very disappointed due to it fitting poorly and being only 2 ounces lighter than my current 509.
What are you guys wearing? helmets and goggles? Ive been told that only 509 goggles will fit and seal up in a 509 helmet? I also want to be able to interchange lenses. thanks and Merry Christmas to all

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
My 509 helmet fit me more snug than my other helmets of different brands. I have read that the carbon one is not a whole lot lighter.

You have the fitness part down, just remember to SLOW DOWN!

My first time out west I just wanted to go go go! By that I mean, when I got stuck or a buddy was stuck I just wanted to run to help or dig myself out quickly and keep riding. This was my mistake. Ruined me for the rest of the day.

If its a good stuck on a steep hill just slow down.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Acclimation to the altitude is very important.

I cannot stress the importance of drinking water even if you aren't thirsty. This is even more important when you ride.

If you can see a doctor or NP before you visit ask/beg to get a prescription for acetazolamide for everyone in your party.

Studies have shown that prophylactic administration of acetazolamide at a dose of 250mg every eight to twelve hours before and during rapid ascent to altitude results in fewer and/or less severe symptoms (such as headache, nausea, shortness of breath, dizziness, drowsiness, and fatigue) of acute mountain sickness

Another tip that people swear by is taking a couple of Tums antacids several times a day. Be careful as the calcium in the Tums can cause constipation.

Popping an occasional 200-400 mg of Ibuprofen can also stave off the headaches associated with rapid climb and lack of altitude acclimation.

Save the LEGAL recreational marijuana until after you are done riding if you feel that is something you have to try. Avoid edible pot products as it is too easy to overdose with them and ruin your stay. If you must partake, smoke it.

Be safe and try to keep eyes on your riding buddies. If your riding buddy gets into an sled accident, don't rush to get to him/her. You will be of no help if you hurt yourself trying to get to a help a buddy who might have gotten hurt. Snow depth is good but there are still hidden rocks and stumps that can jump you and getcha when you least expect it.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LEAVE ANY VALUABLES IN YOUR VEHICLE! My car got broken into while I was at the gym and my wallet, credit cards, cash, expensive watch, and other valuables were stolen. This happened 2 nights ago and has been a nightmare with the credit card fraud, loss of driver's license, and identity fraud that has already occurred.

Last edited:
J
Nov 26, 2016
Is the Helmet tight or loose?

I wear a XXL 509 so that's what I ordered, I could barely get it over my head and once I did it was super tight. I tried a XXXL and same thing, hurt like hell pulling it on. once it was on it was loose. for $400 I wasn't happy with the fit of either size and then when I broke out the scales and saw that Carbon was no lighter I sent it back.

Premium Features